World Cup: National Team threads #2

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Embarrassing pitch for such a filthy rich country as Norway for their friendly against Slovakia. Embarrassing performance by Haaland again, missing a penalty too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can I blame you for not being able to read your own posts? :laugh: Cause you can't pretend you didn't try to blame it all on Pavard just one page after making these.

And maybe if you review the offsides rules you'll understand why what you're saying is so silly. Kroos can pass the ball past the defenders before any germans are offside, and a German running onto the ball would still be onside.

Hopefully that helped you understand your mistake.
So yes I blamed Kounde, Pavard and Upa on this play. So indeed read again.
Nope you still don't understand how press works. If the CB get on the German players toes, they can't be passed to or they can flick to someone being offside. Maube of you understood pressing you'd understand why I'm talking offside.
Not expecting you to understand it after 5 tries though.

Maybe this will help you understand. Look at the pass Toni Kroos hits at the 58second mark of this video. The Real attacker receives the ball behind the defense, but it's not offsides because when the pass was hit, he was still onside.

Again at the 1:14 mark, Kroos hits the pass while his team-mate is onsides, so even though the pass is received behind the defense, it's not offside.

At 1:44 is another example, the ball is hit while the runner is still onside, so even though he runs behind the defense it's a good goal.

Do you now understand how your defense stepping up wouldn't have guaranteed you trapped us offsides, since Kroos had so much time to pick out his pass and he could've sent it past them before Havertz was offside?

Incredible how out of reality you are.
You continue to point to Kroos' pass while I made it clear a thousand times I talked about Wirtz's pass if everyone was closed down.
Unbelievable.
Such stubbornness in being mistaken.

• Haha
Reactions: cgf and luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah if all step forward, they'd pressure the guys who are supposed to control the ball and play offside the others.
I don't care about Kroos. He's not the problem here. A passer doesn't have any impact if he has nowhere to pass the ball.
When the french midfield gets up to press, the defensemen should ALSO press up to defend the attackers and prevent the pass. By staying put (or even worse, running back, or even even worse, running right like Pavard), they create a major hole in front of them which enables Wirtz to easily control the ball (when he should be pressed) and the german attackers to make run where they should be offside.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, Havertz is running past nobody except grandmas.
If the D steps up the Germans can't run forward like they did and Wirtz can't pass to them if they do. It's simple 101 football.

The only 1 on 1 possible would have been to give to Wirtz and then over the D but obviously with a press the Germans would have been offside. Easy to understand.
At some point.... You keep repeating crappy things about Kroos' pass.
How many times should I explain you the same things over and over? We're at 5 now.

• Haha
Reactions: cgf

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Wtf is Germany wearing??

Weird look but still the same old Germany getting exposed defensively and lacking a true striker. It’s amazing how the years go by and yet they seem unable to fix these long standing weaknesses that keep holding them back.

• Love

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Tielemans scored two from mistakes by Pickford and Dunk. Nice pass by Lukaku for the second. Toney penalty for England, after nice buildup by Mainoo and Bellingham.

This is England's future midfield. Mainoo has been excellent. Maybe even for the Euros but don't want too much pressure on Mainoo's shoulders.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Saliba bad defensively and offensively so far. Maybe Pavars wasn't the issue, @Evilo
Lol, can't say I wasn't watching the game. Nor this one (I've seen like 10 minutes before the break).
Fortunately, I have seen enough of both to avoid even naming them in the same breath.

And in those 10 minutes, Saliba saved a goal BTW.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In other news, Dahoud had switched from Germany to Syria and left the syrian camp because the FA couldn't meet his demand.
Remember when I talked about many cynical players choosing their country based on cars, maletas and other things of the same kind?

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
In other news, Dahoud had switched from Germany to Syria and left the syrian camp because the FA couldn't meet his demand.
Remember when I talked about many cynical players choosing their country based on cars, maletas and other things of the same kind?
You have to think there would have been conversations prior...weird if not, as you wouldn't expect the Syrian FA to shell out...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I remember.

I also remember that not a single poster argued that some players negotiate perks.

The points that were made were:

- Who cares? Good for them.
- The importance is the effort they give on the pitch.
- That negotiating perks doesn't mean you don't feel close to the country and that it's no one's business to make that judgement call without the player actually vocalizing his feelings.

Also, it's Syria. In what state must their federation be?

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I would think a guy not asking for anything back from Germany but asking for something back from Syria does sound A LOT like a mercenary who didn't choose "the heart".
And yes, it does mean a lot.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I would think a guy not asking for anything back from Germany but asking for something back from Syria does sound A LOT like a mercenary who didn't choose "the heart".
And yes, it does mean a lot.

I'm not privy to his negotiations but I'm going to go ahead and assume that there's a lot in Germany that wouldn't even need to be asked for in the first place given the respective state of the federations.

Do we even know what the beef is over? What is it that he didn't get? What's his gripe around? Genuine question.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
This might be a hot-take but Cole Palmer has been more consistent this season than Saka. Also he's looked arguably more dangerous against a more shit team.

Too bad he couldn't play on the left cos he probably deserves a chance over Foden who looks good with City but meh with England.

• Haha
Reactions: bluesfan94

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm not privy to his negotiations but I'm going to go ahead and assume that there's a lot in Germany that wouldn't even need to be asked for in the first place given the respective state of the federations.

Do we even know what the beef is over? What is it that he didn't get? What's his gripe around? Genuine question.
No I don't, so I'll honestly say that maybe it's totally different than a well known french/african player who asked for 10k and a car to "feel the love for his country" after rejecting them for years.

And note, I'm not saying it's case for every binationals. But those often don't even perform because they just don't care.

Kolo with an assist to go with his goal. Very very impressive run on the assist.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This might be a hot-take but Cole Palmer has been more consistent this season than Saka. Also he's looked arguably more dangerous against a more shit team.

Too bad he couldn't play on the left cos he probably deserves a chance over Foden who looks good with City but meh with England.
I'll accept that Cole Palmer has been more consistent than Saka. Cole Palmer has been consistently very good while Saka fluctuates between being just very good and being absolutely elite.
Weird look but still the same old Germany getting exposed defensively and lacking a true striker. It’s amazing how the years go by and yet they seem unable to fix these long standing weaknesses that keep holding them back.
Where'd you go?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wtf is Germany wearing??

He's alive! Was starting to worry something had happened to you.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No I don't, so I'll honestly say that maybe it's totally different than a well known french/african player who asked for 10k and a car to "feel the love for his country" after rejecting them for years.

And note, I'm not saying it's case for every binationals. But those often don't even perform because they just don't care.

Kolo with an assist to go with his goal. Very very impressive run on the assist.

This is totally fair and I don't think many of us would push back on this. A lot of players don't play for their NTs out of love of country, but they should get to decide which country they do or do not play for.

Where folks have butted heads with you is that you've criticized players who came up through one nation's youth teams before switching at the senior level, and whether players make that choice for the careers / pocketbook / heart, doesn't really matter. It's their choice.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad