World Cup: National Team threads #2

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Also gotta replace Palacios with someone that’s actually playing every week.

By the time Copa comes around Palacios would have settled in Germany. Hell he started the last 2 games in Europa for them. And was one of their best players in the first game. I think he will make it on the team.

Lo Celso needs to be a starter.

Looks like a pretty meh imbalanced team to me.

If they play their cards right it should be a very balanced and solid team.

Also Otamendi and Acuna really suck

Meh both shouldn't be on the team. Acuna doesnt even play RB. Montiel will be there. Otamendi will be replaced with Martinez, Sensi and Perez.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Brighton's Lamptey approached by Ghana to play for them. Not getting into the English team any time soon so makes sense for him.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Brighton's Lamptey approached by Ghana to play for them. Not getting into the English team any time soon so makes sense for him.

There's no reason for anyone English to even try to play for England at that position for the next ten years. I suspect a lot of players will be doing something similar.

Reactions: robertmac43

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
French CB depth :

Right side : Varane, Kounde, Upamecano, Kamara, Fofana
Left side : Umtiti, Lenglet, Saliba, Laporte, Kimpembe, Zagadou

And I'm forgetting tons of players there.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
As someone who supports Argentina this would be my ideal lineup.

Talent Pool to choose from

Forwards - Messi, Icardi, Dybala, Aguero, Lautaro, Ocampos, Alario, Gonzalez, Correa, Vargas, Gaich
Midfielders - Lo Celso, Buendia (CAM), Lamela, Pereyra, Palacios, Paredes, De Paul, Dominguez, Mac Allister, Rodriguez, Papu Gomes, Banega
Defenders- Lisandro Martinez, Otamendi, Tagliafico, Foyth, Pezzella, Saravia, Acuna, Balerdi, Perez, Montiel, Palomino
Goalies - Emiliano Martinez, Armani, Musso

At a first, glance our offence and midfielding is still world class, while our defence is average creating imbalance. Not sure if I'm completely confident with Emiliano in net.
-------
I wish there was a way to fit in Ocampos or Buendia, they've both been great this year.

Without wingers
(4-2-2-2)​

Lautaro - Aguero/Icardi
Dybala - Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes/Dominguez/Palacios
Tagliafico - Perez/Balerdi - Lisandro - Saravia
Emiliano

With wingers (4-3-3)

Dybala - Lautaro - Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes - Dominguez/Palacios
Emiliano

Another major problem is left wingers. Messi, Ocampos, Di Maria, and Correa all play on the right side. The only natural left wings are Vargas & Gonzalez, who really aren't at that level yet. Dybala is left footed, which is why I saw one poster put him there..

Tough to say how we lineup.

Reactions: BMann and Eye of Ra

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If the idea is to play Dybala at LW you might as well just play with ten men. There's also no way Balerdi gets in at this point. Otamendi too.

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
If the idea is to play Dybala at LW you might as well just play with ten men. There's also no way Balerdi gets in at this point. Otamendi too.

The 4222 is basically the only way you can make it work. Since we have virtually no left wing options.

I just said Balerdi, since he may be ready by the 2022 World Cup. Obviously, right now Pezzella and Perez are ahead.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
As someone who supports Argentina this would be my ideal lineup.

Talent Pool to choose from

Forwards - Messi, Icardi, Dybala, Aguero, Lautaro, Ocampos, Alario, Gonzalez, Correa, Vargas, Gaich
Midfielders - Lo Celso, Buendia (CAM), Lamela, Pereyra, Palacios, Paredes, De Paul, Dominguez, Mac Allister, Rodriguez, Papu Gomes, Banega
Defenders- Lisandro Martinez, Otamendi, Tagliafico, Foyth, Pezzella, Saravia, Acuna, Balerdi, Perez, Montiel, Palomino
Goalies - Emiliano Martinez, Armani, Musso

At a first, glance our offence and midfielding is still world class, while our defence is average creating imbalance. Not sure if I'm completely confident with Emiliano in net.
-------
I wish there was a way to fit in Ocampos or Buendia, they've both been great this year.

Without wingers
(4-2-2-2)​

Lautaro - Aguero/Icardi
Dybala - Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes/Dominguez/Palacios
Emiliano

With wingers (4-3-3)

Dybala - Lautaro - Messi
Lo Celso - Paredes - Dominguez/Palacios
Emiliano

Another major problem is left wingers. Messi, Ocampos, Di Maria, and Correa all play on the right side. The only natural left wings are Vargas & Gonzalez, who really aren't at that level yet. Dybala is left footed, which is why I saw one poster put him there..

Tough to say how we lineup.

I wouldn’t rule out Martinez at #6. He looks to be playing there once again this season for Ajax. Also, Senesi (Feyenoord) is a great Argentinian CB in the making. Once he establishes himself in a better competition, I’m sure he’ll be looked at as a potential starter. He’s impressed me a lot.

Other countries can also barely develop two good CB's.

It took Oranje years to have world class CB’s again. After the Rijkaard, Koeman, Blind, De Boer and Stam era, we were left with a whole lot of mediocrity such as Mathijsen, Heitinga, Martins Indi, Boulahrouz, Ooijer, Vlaar. Amazing how we went to the WC finals with them.

With van Dijk, de Ligt, de Vrij, Aké now, they have that luxury again. Not to mention it’s also their main strength in terms of prospects as well. Ironically the world class forwards is what Oranje lacks currently.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The 4222 is basically the only way you can make it work. Since we have virtually no left wing options.

I just said Balerdi, since he may be ready by the 2022 World Cup. Obviously, right now Pezzella and Perez are ahead.

Balerdi right now is looking like a bust and as Ajacied there Senesi who's looked way better and is easily better atm. There's also Romero who's been up and down but has a shot at NT potential. Right now it should be River plate Martinez/Senesi and L.Martinez in copa or 2022 it will be Perez/Martinez combo. Hell I wouldnt bet against Perez being the starter in copa.

As for the LW/LM spot in copa they could use Palacios or Tucu. By 2022 it will be Zaracho or Almada. How I would line up in a year

Lautaro
Palacios-Messi-Lo Celso
RDP-Paredes :(
Tagliafico-Martinez/Senesi-Martinez/Perez- Montiel

I wouldn’t rule out Martinez at #6. He looks to be playing there once again this season for Ajax. Also, Senesi (Feyenoord) is a great Argentinian CB in the making. Once he establishes himself in a better competition, I’m sure he’ll be looked at as a potential starter. He’s impressed me a lot.

Agreed. The old guard needs to go. He's part of the new crop and he looks to be one of their better options at CB.

Reactions: Ajacied

Mitch nylander

Jun 2, 2016
Balerdi right now is looking like a bust and as Ajacied there Senesi who's looked way better and is easily better atm. There's also Romero who's been up and down but has a shot at NT potential. Right now it should be River plate Martinez/Senesi and L.Martinez in copa or 2022 it will be Perez/Martinez combo. Hell I wouldnt bet against Perez being the starter in copa.

As for the LW/LM spot in copa they could use Palacios or Tucu. By 2022 it will be Zaracho or Almada. How I would line up in a year

Lautaro
Palacios-Messi-Lo Celso
RDP-Paredes :(
Tagliafico-Martinez/Senesi-Martinez/Perez- Montiel

Agreed. The old guard needs to go. He's part of the new crop and he looks to be one of their better options at CB.

Agreed on Senesi, just forgot about him

Understandable, but you gotta think Dybala is a starter, he was the MVP of the Series A. Finding a spot for him is hard, but he is our best cam option.
Any chance Dominguez starts over one of Paredes/RDP?

I'm also not sure if Montiel is quite ready yet, I personally would still have Saravia at the moment.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Agreed on Senesi, just forgot about him

Understandable, but you gotta think Dybala is a starter, he was the MVP of the Series A. Finding a spot for him is hard, but he is our best cam option.
Any chance Dominguez starts over one of Paredes/RDP?

I'm also not sure if Montiel is quite ready yet, I personally would still have Saravia at the moment.
He should be a striker that's his position originally anyway. If they wanna start him they should go like this

Lautaro-Dybala
Messi
GLC-Palacios

I actually like that better. I rate Dybala more than most so, I would love it if he's a start just not as a winger/midfielder where he will be lost on the NT.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Balerdi is loved by his new coach and will play along Kamara in a defensive system (if Kamara isn't sold).
I wouldn't say anything definitive yet on him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Balerdi is loved by his new coach and will play along Kamara in a defensive system (if Kamara isn't sold).
I wouldn't say anything definitive yet on him.
LOL he's been there for 48 hours. I'm not completely writing him off. Ecstatic he got away from Dortmund where they deserve all the blame for the derailment. I just wouldnt count on him until he shows something in France.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad