World Cup: National Team threads #2

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Normally I'd prefer an easy group but right now I think it's good for Sweden to get big matches

Agree from Croatia's perspective as well, maybe because I still don't get overly emotional by the Nations League (even when England beat Croatia in Wembley on the final MD of the previous edition I wasn't overly bothered). Plus, its better to play these kind of games against these opponents than what the CRO federation would typically schedule in terms of friendly matches against the likes of Estonia, Latvia, Hungary, random Asian/African team

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wasn’t sure where to post this, but Lol!

59F96E27-FFB7-4540-B56E-FC39CFF70B1A.jpeg

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Tite's list

Goalkeepers:
Weverton - Palmeiras
Ederson - Manchester City
Ivan – Ponte Preta

Fullbacks:
Daniel Alves - São Paulo
Danilo - Juventus
Renan Lodi - Atlético de Madrid
Alex Sandro - Juventus

Centerbacks:
Marquinhos - Paris Saint-Germain
Felipe - Atlético de Madrid
Eder Militão – Real Madrid
Thiago Silva – Paris Saint-Germain

Midfielders:
Arthur - Barcelona
Casemiro - Real Madrid
Bruno Guimarães - Lyon
Philippe Coutinho - Bayern de Munique
Everton Ribeiro – Flamengo
Fabinho - Livepool

Forwards:
Neymar - Paris Saint-Germain
Gabriel Jesus - Manchester City
Roberto Firmino - Liverpool
Gabigol – Flamengo
Everton – Grêmio
Richarlison – Everton
Bruno Henrique - Flamengo

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I f***ing hate Brasil but that squad is just littered with stupid amount of talent. Luckily, the Copa is not on their soil and Tite isnt a good coach. Even with this talented side they might f*** it up.

Reactions: John Pedro

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Didn't Israel JUST play Scotland and Slovakia? Or was it Slovenia?

They really need to weight recent ties because this is boring.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Here's the u23 list

Goalkeepers: Cleiton (Red Bull Bragantino), Lucas Perri (São Paulo) e Phelipe (Grêmio).

CBs: Gabriel (Lille), Ibañez (Roma), Luiz Felipe (Lazio) e Lyanco (Torino).

FBs: Emerson (Bétis), Guga (Atlético-MG), Ayrton Lucas (Spartak Moscou) e Caio Henrique (Grêmio).

Midfielders: Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa), Lucas Paquetá (Milan), Matheus Henrique (Grêmio), Maicon (Shakthar Donetsk ), Pedrinho (Corinthians), Reinier (Real Madrid) e Wendel (Sporting).

Forwards: Antony (São Paulo), Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal), Matheus Cunha (RB Leipzig), Paulinho (Bayer Leverkusen) e Vinícius Júnior (Real Madrid).

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Brazil is stacked, man.

Bruno Guimaraes' emergence might just put them over the top.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Di Maria got robbed
Please no mas

I love the youth injection. It has freshened up the squad and has provided a new sense of optimism. Gone is the depressing days of walking injuries and missed chances. This squad has the right amount of experience and youth hunger.

My only real issues are no Martinez and Otamendi is there. When there's clearly better options.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
FIFA has postponed all Asian World Cup qualifying matches set to take place in March and June. However matches could still take place should the FAs agree the match is safe to play and must get approval from FIFA

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Please no mas

I love the youth injection. It has freshened up the squad and has provided a new sense of optimism. Gone is the depressing days of walking injuries and missed chances. This squad has the right amount of experience and youth hunger.

My only real issues are no Martinez and Otamendi is there. When there's clearly better options.

He's been one of the best players in Ligue 1, could be a nice option off the bench. I don't get why Lisandro Martinez didn't make the team but Belardi that hasn't played a full game in Europe did.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He's been one of the best players in Ligue 1, could be a nice option off the bench. I don't get why Lisandro Martinez didn't make the team but Belardi that hasn't played a full game in Europe did.
Correa/Dybala situation. Correa had the pedigree in the AFA because he played in the youth competitions but it was obvious the Dybala was better based on his Europe play. Same idea here I speculate.

As for ADM its been tried and tested. Good idea doesnt work.

Reactions: John Pedro

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Could see it happen, doubt they play behind closed doors it would be a bad look and money loser. But the it would create problems with World Cup qualifying potentially

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gosens still open to representing Netherlands - Football Oranje

I hope they take a look at him. Willems and van Aanholt are unreliable and I really don't like seeing Blind playing LB anymore. Gosens is actually pretty decent from what I've seen and he gets pretty good reviews...I know some of the German contingent on my other board have wanted him called up for a little while now.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
@Pavel Buchnevich I was going to ask you this after your post in the prospects thread in response to your rankings but it probably makes more sense over here.

What be your predictions in terms of the US roster for the coming Hex WC Qualifications? I was curious who from the list would be making it on to the team as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Pavel Buchnevich I was going to ask you this after your post in the prospects thread in response to your rankings but it probably makes more sense over here.

What be your predictions in terms of the US roster for the coming Hex WC Qualifications? I was curious who from the list would be making it on to the team as well.

Short answer, Reyna.

Slightly longer answer, Llanez has a chance, if he's playing regularly for Wolfsburg. He was just promoted to the first team. Whether he's playing regularly by the fall, I have no clue. I'd like to think he will, but I don't know. Otasowie probably is another option more so due to the fact that a lot are worried he might switch to England. If he's playing a little more regularly, something like he makes the bench every game and gets in a few games, I could see him being called up to make sure he's permanently cap-tied. I'd also say Araujo and de la Fuente might also be options, but with this being World Cup Qualification, its probably unlikely.

As to the full roster, it'll be a lot of what it the last year. In goal, Steffen and then two back ups. Probably some combination of Horvath, Johnson, Guzan, Hamid. Berhalter really likes Johnson, so I'd say he's probably the back up, and the other three are vying for the third spot. I suspect Cannon and Yedlin will be called in for right-back, and they'll split time. CB will probably be Long, Brooks, Zimmermann and Ream. Normally I'd suggest a younger CB or two might factor in and they definitely should, but Berhalter's top three are those first three, so Ream will probably just be fourth instead of a younger guy. I suspect Dest will play LB. He'd be the starter at RB, but we already have two other good RB's. The back up LB could be Ream and another guy as 4th CB, but I think Lovitz, who completely sucks, will back up Dest and not see the field. We have some good younger options, but I think they'll be with the U23's.

Midfield will be two of Bradley, Yueill and Trapp as the holding midfielders. Probably the first two based on the last few rosters. And then also McKennie and Adams as the other central midfielders. I could see Duane Holmes or Alfredo Morales getting a call as an extra central midfielder, but he might only go with four. From there, I suspect the attacking midfielders will be Pulisic, Reyna, Lletget, Boyd and Arriola. Arriola should be back from injury around late summer/early fall, so if he's not available, that probably opens up an extra spot for a fourth striker like Sargent or an extra central midfielder like Morales or Holmes. The strikers will likely be Altidore, Zardes, Morris. Sargent's been struggling a lot recently and getting a lot of criticism, so if Berhalter sees it like a lot of others do, another striker might get the call instead and Sargent might be with the U23's, but I think the plan has mostly been that Sargent is done with playing for the youth teams. If Sargent is with the U23's, I think that's due to Arriola being healthy or choosing a fifth central midfielder instead.

A lot of players who are options for lesser roles on the team right now probably will be with the U23's, so guys like Antonee Robinson, Miles Robinson, Erik Palmer-Brown, Justen Glad, Mark McKenzie, Jonathan Lewis, Djordje Mihailovic, Christian Cappis, Chris Durkin, Brandon Servania, Jesus Ferreira, Brenden Aaronson, Paxton Pomykal, Tim Weah, Sebastian Soto are all guys that probably will be with the U23's instead. The only U23 eligible guys I see being with the senior National Team are the guys that will play big roles like Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Dest, Reyna, Cannon, Yueill, Sargent. And I wouldn't even be sure the last two guys will be there. They could be with the U23's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad