World Cup: National Team threads #2

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Argentina wasn't the closest team to beat France.
They scored their last way too late.
They basically got torched 4-2.
Frznce had a tight game with Uruguay and Belgium.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina wasn't the closest team to beat France.
They scored their last way too late.
They basically got torched 4-2.
Frznce had a tight game with Uruguay and Belgium.
Only one to have a lead :)

mind you I don’t believe they should’ve won that game or that they played well but these are the facts. Argentina was winning until no name scored the goal of his life.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Algeria and Senegal the first two teams to qualify for next winter's AFCON (Cameroon are hosts), tournament will start January 2022. There are some surprises so far, Gambia, who have never qualified for any previous tournament are top of their group with two MDs to go (currently 157th ranked team in FIFA). Comoros are in good shape to qualify for their debut tournament (five points ahead of 3rd place with two rounds to go). To put it into perspective this is an island nation of under 1m people and they have yet to win a WCQ match in their history

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Algeria and Senegal the first two teams to qualify for next winter's AFCON (Cameroon are hosts), tournament will start January 2022. There are some surprises so far, Gambia, who have never qualified for any previous tournament are top of their group with two MDs to go (currently 157th ranked team in FIFA). Comoros are in good shape to qualify for their debut tournament (five points ahead of 3rd place with two rounds to go). To put it into perspective this is an island nation of under 1m people and they have yet to win a WCQ match in their history

And Comoros are doing all that without Djamel Bakar.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Ecuador up 3-0 now

This qualifying campaign is shaping up to be very interesting.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Wtf it’s 4-0 as the first half closes. Colombia gonna save Germany from the most embarrassing scoreline of the day?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Beautiful 5th goal from Ecuador.

Gonzalo Plata though. He scored and then immediately received his second yellow card to get sent off. lmao.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Chile also losing to Venezuela. Chile is the team I really feel has fallen. Looking at some of the recent rankings above, I feel Peru is better right now. They’re all playing like ass though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Chile also losing to Venezuela. Chile is the team I really feel has fallen. Looking at some of the recent rankings above, I feel Peru is better right now. They’re all playing like ass though.
equally funny considering these two teams were the only wins Uruguay had (much stronger teams). lol

Reactions: koyvoo

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I may disagree with D2M about Uruguay's new boys, but Colombia's next generation has left me completely underwhelmed thus far. Their youth doesn't balance their vets or offer similar quality.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Germany I mean Nuer conceded 6 goals.... no pitch forks?

Its not that surprising. They’ve been trending down in recent years. The coach is under a lot of pressure, but it’s not only the coach. The player pool isn’t what it was at its best six years ago. Outside of Kimmich and MAtS, they probably don’t have any other current world class players.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Its not that surprising. They’ve been trending down in recent years. The coach is under a lot of pressure, but it’s not only the coach. The player pool isn’t what it was at its best six years ago. Outside of Kimmich and MAtS, they probably don’t have any other current world class players.

You clearly know nothing or don’t watch nearly enough if u think those are the only current world class German footballers.

Gnabry and Werner are two of the most productive(goals and assists) players in all of Europe over the past year+ at club level.

Havertz is a budding young star.

Muller has been one of Europe’s best players for the past season and 1/2 and Low’s continued refusal to include him is mind boggling.

Goretzka is another great young player. Started just about every match for Champions of Europe Bayern. Filling that same role again this season.

Sane also possess world class talent when healthy.

Same can be said about Marco Reus(one of the Bundesligas most productive players when he’s actually on the pitch).

They have plenty of world class talent.

Their struggles have everything to do with Low and his decision making/command of the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambo

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You clearly know nothing or don’t watch nearly enough if u think those are the only current world class German footballers.

Gnabry and Werner are two of the most productive(goals and assists) players in all of Europe over the past year+ at club level.

Havertz is a budding young star.

Muller has been one of Europe’s best players for the past season and 1/2 and Low’s continued refusal to include him is mind boggling.

Goretzka is another great young player. Started just about every match for Champions of Europe Bayern. Filling that same role again this season.

Sane also possess world class talent when healthy.

They have plenty of world class talent.

Their struggles have everything to do with Low and his decision making/command of the roster.

Ask yourself this. How many players does Germany have that are in the top five of their position in the world?

The answer is two. It was a lot more in 2014. Of course Germany still has good players. So does Spain, so does Italy, so does Argentina. The question is how good those players are. They aren't world class. Or if you think they are, you have a very loose definition of world class. And I believe Germany is still better than all those countries and should still be good enough to compete for a Euros or World Cup. The coaching is the issue keeping them from good results, but the talent is keeping them from being able to win games in spite of the coaching. They are one of the countries who've been on the downturn with producing talent in the last cycle. I don't know how anyone could doubt this. I named the years. How many players do they have from 1997-2002/3 that look like top level players? Its very few. Much less than some prior age groups.

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If Bierhoff can't fire his buddy Jogi then Bierhoff needs to get canned, too. Honestly, I don't think anyone knows what the hell his job actually is about to begin with. Does any other national team in the world have a 'general manager' type who is strictly responsible for organizational things? A good executive assistant can book the hotels and flights for the team as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina played their best game today. Never looked vulnerable. Messi just cant buy a goal right now so unlucky. They will start going in for him soon. He played a great game today. Nico was stellar too Argentina might have a player in him he looked the part this round. And oh yeah in case everyone forgot Lo Celso is a good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad