World Cup: National Team threads #2

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tbf LeGo could still become world-class in a Ballack/Lampard-esque role...he's just not there yet & has to be allowed to regularly get into goal-scoring positions to make the biggest impact that his talent is capable of.
Potential is there, for sure. I could see him being a world beater down the line, but in the moment, he still has a ways to go.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Potential is there, for sure. I could see him being a world beater down the line, but in the moment, he still has a ways to go.

True, last year was a big step but there's still work to be done.

Still crazy for me to think that I watched a 17year old Goretzka playing on the wing for Bochum when they were in BuLi2 with Union. Easily the best prospect I've ever seen in person.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
True, last year was a big step but there's still work to be done.

Still crazy for me to think that I watched a 17year old Goretzka playing on the wing for Bochum when they were in BuLi2 with Union. Easily the best prospect I've ever seen in person.
Wow that's cool. I love seeing young prospects as they break into the senior game. Being based in Canada though, it does not happen frequently in football.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wow that's cool. I love seeing young prospects as they break into the senior game. Being based in Canada though, it does not happen frequently in football.

Yeah. Living on this side of the atlantic does make it a lot harder; that's why I always appreciate getting to catch games when I'm back in Germany lol.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah. Living on this side of the atlantic does make it a lot harder; that's why I always appreciate getting to catch games when I'm back in Germany lol.
Yeah for sure. It's nice that Canada now has the CPL, we get to see a couple more u21 players before heading to MLS or smaller European teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
"No talent". His last game played.

Wasn't that poster's main gripe that Guendouzi is terribly undisciplined positionally because he roams too much? Which wouldn't exactly be an unmerited complaint based on the little I've seen of Guendouzi for Hertha...though he also wouldn't be the only young box to boxer who needed to learn to be more disciplined before reaching his potential...plus BSC needs some of that chaos.

As the only other Hertha midfielder with any panache is old man Darida...who doesn't have the legs to make an impact outside of his passing...and their FBs aren't anywhere near dynamic enough to compensate for that overly functional midfield. At least not yet, maybe Netz & Zeefuik will change that moving forward.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not official until the next FIFA Rankings come out but here are the pots for the World Cup qualifying draw for UEFA on December 7, UEFA will continue with the three matches in an international window for March and September. Qualifying it set to end next November with the playoffs in March 2022. The 10 group winners qualify automatically with the playoffs consisting of the 10 runners-up + 2 highest ranking Nations League group winners who didn't qualify automatically for the final three spots

EnJKDnSW8AMcZqN

The Dutch starting winning at the right time and grab the final spot in Pot 1 ahead of the Swiss, Romania's draw at Northern Ireland see them jump into Pot 2 ahead of Russia. Speaking of Russia they are a tricky team in Pot 3 along with Czech Republic, Norway and Hungary, BiH fall all the way to Pot 4 while Andorra sneak into Pot 5
Bosnia's drop off is pretty impressive

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bosnia's drop off is pretty impressive

That's what I thought until I looked at their squad. They had a few stars who carried them to relevance over the past decade, but they're all getting old now & there's no new generation of stars to pick up the slack.

I'm kinda expecting something similar to happen with Colombia after the James generation ages out.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
That's what I thought until I looked at their squad. They had a few stars who carried them to relevance over the past decade, but they're all getting old now & there's no new generation of stars to pick up the slack.

I'm kinda expecting something similar to happen with Colombia after the James generation ages out.
Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, but they were one of the top sides not long ago

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wasn't that poster's main gripe that Guendouzi is terribly undisciplined positionally because he roams too much? Which wouldn't exactly be an unmerited complaint based on the little I've seen of Guendouzi for Hertha...though he also wouldn't be the only young box to boxer who needed to learn to be more disciplined before reaching his potential...plus BSC needs some of that chaos.

As the only other Hertha midfielder with any panache is old man Darida...who doesn't have the legs to make an impact outside of his passing...and their FBs aren't anywhere near dynamic enough to compensate for that overly functional midfield. At least not yet, maybe Netz & Zeefuik will change that moving forward.
Nah he said he had no talent, provided nothing, slowed the game, etc...

Basically, I think he's mixing up Guendouzi with Xhaka.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Oh ye of little faith. Just wait until Santi is healthy.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nah he said he had no talent, provided nothing, slowed the game, etc...

Basically, I think he's mixing up Guendouzi with Xhaka.
Xhaka can ping some balls around nicely when he has time. He just needs someone to be a safety valve at all times or else he'll turn the ball over

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Xhaka can ping some balls around nicely when he has time. He just needs someone to be a safety valve at all times or else he'll turn the ball over

Which is why he & Kramer worked so well together back in Xhaka's Gladbach days. Kramer's no longer got the legs for it, but back then he was a fantastic safety blanket with his sense of where to be, engine, and touch playing quick 1-2s to progress the ball.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I miss defensemen like Laurent Blanc. Class, efficiency, class, leadership, class, ability to do everything, class, passing maestro, class, aerial threat, class. Oh and did I mention class?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I miss defensemen like Laurent Blanc. Class, efficiency, class, leadership, class, ability to do everything, class, passing maestro, class, aerial threat, class. Oh and did I mention class?

Proof that even a poor man's Beckenbauer, is still one hell of a player :sarcasm:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Well that's random

But yeah, Blanc and Baresi are my all time favorites at this position

member 305909

Euro 2020 will be played next summer but not in a way like originally planned across the continent. More likely in a bubble in one location.

Too much money to be lost if the tournament is cancelled.

My belief is that the olympics, on the other hand, won't thappen next year either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad