Nathan MacKinnon (2013 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Nate the Pretty Good?

It all makes sense to me though. The Leafs are tanking for several years so when it comes draft time, they'll be able to pick him with the first overall and people won't be able to say they were actually losing on purpose!

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
His numbers at SSM don't back up this claim to be the next Crosby.
Taylor Cammarata looks to be out performing him consistently.
Great player but my guess is never lives up to this crazy talk.

first I said before he is a step down from Sidney Crosby a shade down...and again another arm chair ill read stats...actually if you want to get thinking stats...first MacKinnon only played 8 min in the first game of the year where he scored a goal in 8 min but never finished that game, then had to sit out a bit due to injury and he played many games less than Cammarata so if you factor in this he is putting up the same points approx....NOW for someone that just goes by stats I guess you don't see Nathan is a two way player with physical ability and strong as they come...

Cammarata avoids traffic and hits, needs to get strong out there, gets pushed around easy, and I found many times he Cherry picks not coming back into his own zone waiting for a breakout pass where as Nathan is back there helping out.

I have seen both play and im hands down saying Nathan is not the next Sidney Crosby but IMO he is the next caliber of Steven Stamkos type.

youngmansgame

Mar 19, 2010
Bashing Cammarata is so easy, He does not back check, he is small, he is fragile, he can't skate, he can't shoot. Talk to Nate Mackinnon, he will tell you all about Taylor, there is know one better, how he is the strongest players on the team, he lives in the weight room he is the last guy off the ice. He is a wonderful student, he is a soft spoken gentlemen on and off the ice. He is one of the most skilled players out of Minnesota since Neil Broten some 30 years ago. He is strong on the puck and can feel checks coming, why get hit, if you do not have to. Cherry pick, come on when was the last time you watched him. Shattuck at the 16 U level does not allow that. He has the highest plus minus on the team. He is one of Shattucks solidest (D) players and penalty killers. He has eye's in the back of his head and is a rear player who can make moves at high speeds with out having to slow down. And he is a great passer and the purest goal scorer. We are talking about a kid who has registered over 1000 points since PeeWee, at the highest levels. Taylor is one of the highest college recruited players in many, many years. And I am hearing he has gotten a lot bigger. Nate and Taylor our a great friends off the ice and a great combination on it, but two very different players. But if you want instant offense, and many of these high end leagues need excitement, they are boring with end to end grinders with a lot of size and a lack of speed and skill. Taylor is the most exciting player in North America coming up. They both have great futures ahead of them. But Don't dog Taylor, a kid like that only helps the game.

Last edited:

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Bashing Cammarata is so easy, He does not back check, he is small, he is fragile, he can't skate, he can't shoot. Talk to Nate Mackinnon, he will tell you all about Taylor, there is know one better, how he is the strongest players on the team, he lives in the weight room he is the last guy off the ice. He is a wonderful student, he is a soft spoken gentlemen on and off the ice. He is one of the most skilled players out of Minnesota since Neil Broten some 30 years ago. He is strong on the puck and can feel checks coming, why get hit, if you do not have to. Cherry pick, come on when was the last time you watched him. Shattuck at the 16 U level does not allow that. He has the highest plus minus on the team. He is one of Shattucks solidest (D) players and penalty killers. He has eye's in the back of his head and is a rear player who can make moves at high speeds with out having to slow down. And he is a great passer and the purest goal scorer. We are talking about a kid who has registered over 1000 points since PeeWee, at the highest levels. Taylor is one of the highest college recruited players in many, many years. And I am hearing he has gotten a lot bigger. Nate and Taylor our a great friends off the ice and a great combination on it, but two very different players. But if you want instant offense, and many of these high end leagues need excitement, they are boring with end to end grinders with a lot of size and a lack of speed and skill. Taylor is the most exciting player in North America coming up. They both have great futures ahead of them. But Don't dog Taylor, a kid like that only helps the game.
I've seen a little of Cammarata and MacKinnon. They are different players, and I don't know about NHL potential, but both will be dynamic at the next level, MacKinnon in the QMJHL and Cammarata in college (most likely). Too bad for me that it's likely the gophers for Taylor. :(

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Looks like he had a great game tonite at the U17? Can anyone comment on his play so far?

He is an underage I believe?

I had mentioned this in another thread where someone was talking about the 2013 Draft and had him ranked to go first overall. Of course its early, but this tournament certainly seems to be opening a lot of eyes.

More on him here...

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Rimouski is stock piling 1st rd picks as to make a push to deal up...they already have 3 1st rd picks and they are rumoured to be getting another one, but this time a top 5 pick...so they are looking to trade up to #1

wanna bet Rimouski ? ;)

Rimouski has since acquired a fourth 1st round pick. One of their picks belonged to Cape Breton I believe, so could be a lottery pcik already, but if not they are well positioned to make a play for MacKinnon.

Here's to hoping Halifax goes on a 20 game losing streak...

Man this kid with Ciampini, Frk, Andrews, Ashley, Ryan, Terenzio etc.. for a couple years will be scary!

Without multiple first round picks, it would like take someone like Campini plus to acquire the first overall. I beleive Halifax is unwilling to move Campini along with a lot else, but who knows. The potential to have MacKinnon may be too tempting to pass up. I would love to see him with the Moose, but I am not getting too far ahead of myself just yet. Looking like Rimouski is the favourite.

Really looking forawrd to see him play in the Canada Games at home in Halifax.

Hate comparing to Crosby, but even without talent comparisons are inevitable:

Cole Harbour
Shattuck St. Mary's
Canada Games (Capt probably)
Rimouski???

He's made his mark at the U17 Tournament, but I can't wait to see him get chance at the World Juniors where everyone is watching.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
In the Q, they dont have a lottery, the teams that finish in the last two spots have a coin flip, and the winner gets 1st pick.

Right now its looking like it will be Baie-Comeau and Royan-Nouranda with those two spots. However, its pretty much a lock that he wouldnt go there. Teams cannot talk to players anymore to play the "Say your going to college and we will take you later in the round" like many did before. So its going to look like a trade will happen between the two teams menctioned above with either:

Rimouski, Halifax, Moncton, Saint John or Quebec.

With all the assets Rimouski is stacking up, and the likelyhood that Saint John would not part with anything that would really help them next year (Have the Mem Cup bid, if dont get it, still have a legit shot at winning league) then I think its Rimouski who has the best shot at him, as do many people.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Rimouski, Halifax, Moncton, Saint John or Quebec.

With all the assets Rimouski is stacking up, and the likelyhood that Saint John would not part with anything that would really help them next year (Have the Mem Cup bid, if dont get it, still have a legit shot at winning league) then I think its Rimouski who has the best shot at him, as do many people.

And then he's off the the Penguins.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
In the Q, they dont have a lottery, the teams that finish in the last two spots have a coin flip, and the winner gets 1st pick.

Okay, i hadn't thought so, but I had seen another columnist refer to it and didn't fact check. He probably meant the #1-2 coin flip.

Cape Breton could still land in that coin flip (only 6 points up on BC, Halifax 9). Think if Rimouski got MacKinnon, plus 3 other first round picks.

*EDIT: Forgot my own point was that Cape Breton deosn't own their own first. I believe Rimouski already has it.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Looking forward to how he looks at the Canada Winter Games against the top '95's in the Country.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
As am I. It'll be the first time I get to see the other 95s live outside of Ontario.

Same here, lets hope we get some good coverage of u-16 hockey by tsn. i remember watcing the 2003 canada game with underagers like crosby, Latendresse and i believe Brule. Also remember a very dirty game between quebec and new-brunswick...everyone on NB was trying to take Alex Bourret heads off lol

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Same here, lets hope we get some good coverage of u-16 hockey by tsn. i remember watcing the 2003 canada game with underagers like crosby, Latendresse and i believe Brule. Also remember a very dirty game between quebec and new-brunswick...everyone on NB was trying to take Alex Bourret heads off lol

TSN did a great job covering it the year that Stamkos, Hodgson, Del Zotto, Pietrangelo led Ontario to victory. They showed a lot of games that year! Hopefully they do the same this year.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
The kid talks as if he could chooser his team in the Q. But, maybe he should be happy with any team that picks him. Yes, teams like Quebec, St. John and Halifax are great teams..I can't even imagine him with the Mooseheads playing alongside Frk and Ciampini. But, he should be happy with any team that drafts him. Rouyn-Noranda could use a great player in him.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
simple solution

Baie Comeau or Rouyn-Noranda draft him and trade him to one of Saint Johns or Quebec for a butt load of players and picks

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
RDS did a 2 part feature on Nathan MAcKinnon this week and i posted the video on my blog with some translation of what they said in french. anyway MacKinnon answer are in english (same goes for his coach and the director of the hockey program at Shattuck St-Mary) and you can see MacKinnon in action

http://theqall-access.blogspot.com/2011/02/nathan-mackinnon-rds-feature.html

Thanks for the link. He has great acceleration and looks like a man amongst boys in that clip. Sort of looks a poor man's Eric Lindros, which is in no way meant as a slight against him, as we all know Lindros is the best junior prospect to come along in ages.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
simple solution

Baie Comeau or Rouyn-Noranda draft him and trade him to one of Saint Johns or Quebec for a butt load of players and picks

Theres a reason why Rimouski has four 1st rounders in June that they would love to dangle for the first overall pick.

i dont know about Baie-Comeau but Rouyn-Noranda coach/GM said if they win the lottery their not trading the pick and their taking MacKinnon. he said MacKinnon will play in Rouyn and not somewhere else. imo when he's all set and done MacKinnon will report to Rouyn

Baie-Comeau im not sure...even if rimouski has 4 first round pick Rouyn is not trading the pick and Baie-Comeau is not trading MacKinnon to its biggest rivals imo. Halifax would be a better guess since they could included Campiani who played his midget hockey with Baie-comeau 1st pick in 2010 Frederic Gamelin and both have crazy chemistry together. both play together at the recent u-17

Would like to see MAcKinnon with Rimouski since i could watch him play when i go back to my hometown but i doubt this happen unless Rouyn coach/GM is lying. If baie-comeau trade the pick its going to be to Halifax imo

i also would like to see MacKinnon reports to the team that pick him without any ******** we have seen in past Q draft.

What a dumb answer when asked what team he wants to play for. Should have just said anywhere's fine, that was pretty stupid.

not really what he said. he said he hasn't close the door for Baie-Comeau and Rouyn-Noranda but would prefer to go to Halifax, Quebec, Saint-John and Rimouski. Every players have their preference. Reason why he said those team because its probably the team he know more about as an organisation and a city. He probably doesnt know anything about Baie-Comeau and Rouyn-Noranda...those team will have to tell him about their hockey program, their school program and their city. im not worried about Rouyn but Baie-Comeau has a lot of work to do imo

Last edited:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
What a dumb answer when asked what team he wants to play for. Should have just said anywhere's fine, that was pretty stupid.

It's just a poor translation. What he actually said was "Straight cash homie!"

He's going to make an owner somewhere boat loads of money. MacKinnon is entitled to make sure he gets taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad