Nathan MacKinnon (2013 draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turchi

Sep 14, 2010
Probably the first of many interviews Nathan will be doing over the next few years. For the many of us who have been watching Nathan dominate at every level he has played, we look forward to him being drafted high in the upcoming Q draft. With his skill and intensity, it will be enjoyable to see him challenged by the older and stronger players in the Q. No doubt, he will raise the level of his play again to be successful.

Canuck71*

I'm not the person to ask, I just know that he is indeed Martin Brodeurs son and he must be a pretty good goalie if he's an underager on a very good '94 Shattuck team.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Would like to watch this guy play at the U17's. I hope Atlantic makes it to the finals so I can watch on TSN.

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
Would like to watch this guy play at the U17's. I hope Atlantic makes it to the finals so I can watch on TSN.

I'm going to make an effort to catch Quebec vs. Atlantic in the group stage, but the online feed might suck. It would be nice if Team Atlantic did make it all the way to the finals, but I have a feeling they won't. They do have a good roster though, so you never know.

turchi

Sep 14, 2010
Scoutman1 is 100% correct with his support of MacKinnon. This kid has always raised his game up to and above the level of play on the ice. Here is a 95 born player that is competing and having success playing with the best 94 born players in the world.

BobbyRyan9

Let's Go Bruins!
May 26, 2008
Scoutman1 is the guy to talk to, but I did watch MacKinnon play a few days ago in a U17 game. As a 15 year old on a team of mostly 16 year old QMJHL players, he was taking the majority of key faceoffs. He looked solid in all three zones. Wasn't lazy in the defensive end, blasts through the neutral area, and he puts his skills to good use in the offensive zone. In the game watched I would have liked to see him do a bit more away from the puck in terms of creating offense, but he mostly got setup for a one timer in the left circle dot, much like Stamkos does. There was one instance though towards the end of the game when he basically took matters into his own hand and created his own scoring opportunity to earn a goal. He battled hard down low for the puck and then he drove it to the net and converted on it. That says a lot, especially when he is only 15, like I mentioned before. There were guys like Ciampini on the other side of the ice, who could go as high as the top ten in the 2012 draft. Basically, this kid has got size, speed, and offensive skill, which as you can imagine, makes him a dominant forward. He could become one of the next, but rare, NHL power forwards. Should be interesting to see how he does next season in the QMJHL. I would have to imagine he'd be one of the top, if not the best 16 year old in the league. We'll see if he wants to go to Baie-Comeau or Rouyn-Noranda, or if something can be arranged, a team like Halifax.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Scoutman1 is the guy to talk to, but I did watch MacKinnon play a few days ago in a U17 game. As a 15 year old on a team of mostly 16 year old QMJHL players, he was taking the majority of key faceoffs. He looked solid in all three zones. Wasn't lazy in the defensive end, blasts through the neutral area, and he puts his skills to good use in the offensive zone. In the game watched I would have liked to see him do a bit more away from the puck in terms of creating offense, but he mostly got setup for a one timer in the left circle dot, much like Stamkos does. There was one instance though towards the end of the game when he basically took matters into his own hand and created his own scoring opportunity to earn a goal. He battled hard down low for the puck and then he drove it to the net and converted on it. That says a lot, especially when he is only 15, like I mentioned before. There were guys like Ciampini on the other side of the ice, who could go as high as the top ten in the 2012 draft. Basically, this kid has got size, speed, and offensive skill, which as you can imagine, makes him a dominant forward. He could become one of the next, but rare, NHL power forwards. Should be interesting to see how he does next season in the QMJHL. I would have to imagine he'd be one of the top, if not the best 16 year old in the league. We'll see if he wants to go to Baie-Comeau or Rouyn-Noranda, or if something can be arranged, a team like Halifax.

Rimouski is stock piling 1st rd picks as to make a push to deal up...they already have 3 1st rd picks and they are rumoured to be getting another one, but this time a top 5 pick...so they are looking to trade up to #1...

I dont think he ends up in BaC or RN but whichever of those 2 teams wins the coin-flip will basically auction off the pick to the highest bidder and as it stands now about 5-6 teams would be front and centre on that bidding war, Rimouski, Halifax, Saint John, Moncton, Quebec...basically the larger market teams.

byrone12

Aug 2, 2005
Rimouski is stock piling 1st rd picks as to make a push to deal up...they already have 3 1st rd picks and they are rumoured to be getting another one, but this time a top 5 pick...so they are looking to trade up to #1...

I dont think he ends up in BaC or RN but whichever of those 2 teams wins the coin-flip will basically auction off the pick to the highest bidder and as it stands now about 5-6 teams would be front and centre on that bidding war, Rimouski, Halifax, Saint John, Moncton, Quebec...basically the larger market teams.

So CHSB is correct, the small market QMJHL teams are getting screwed.:nod:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Not really...if either of those 2 teams wanted to they could drfat him and call his bluff...

But having 3-4 1st rd picks is pretty enticing...

CHSB likes to spout off about how small market teams are being hurt...well there are some small market teams who have done well because they are run properly with quality coaching and management...

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Attracting top talent only usually requires two things: One) Calling their bluff and Two) Guaranteeing their school money if they don`t make it/get hurt.

Personally, I think that a 15 year-old that wants a guaranteed education is doing the smart thing. Just because some teams are too cheap to run the risk of having to pay a package doesn`t make it any less smart for the player.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is it guarenteed that he's going to be the #1 pick in the QMJHL draft? It's hard to tell with this guy what is true and what is just fawning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad