Prospect Info: Nathan Légaré, 74th overall

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
Wonder how Poulin & Legare did on some of the fitness tests at the combine. At their limb-length-to-bodyweight ratio they should be pretty strong.

Finished top 25 in the following:

Aerobic Fitness Test Duration
Legare 19

Agility/Balance Left
Legare 10
Poulin 21

Agility/Balance Right
Poulin 10

Fatigue Index
Legare 16
Poulin 17

Vertical Jump
Legare 20

Bench Press
Poulin 15
Legare 17

Left Hand Grip
Poulin 6
Legare 7

Right Hand Grip
Legare 15
Poulin 23

Standing Long Jump
Legare 13
Poulin 20

Judd Caulfield also did well in a number of tests.

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think this draft show what the Pens are building towards. Heavy on the puck and endboard hockey. I like the idea of beating up on all these 5'10" defensemen.

I dont mind that but they have no transport. Transition is a huge problem.

It looks like Sid created the draft board. They are all guys he would mesh well with in terms of playing style.

We have sneakily been drafting these really heavy wingers for a couple of years. I think it is because boom/bust isn't there and the odds of them being something is good, but also JR and co just like guys who can play the game in the trenches and wear other teams down. The issue is that we are drafting some of these heavier guys but their wheels are suspect. Skating improvement is something that is teachable though.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
It looks like Sid created the draft board. They are all guys he would mesh well with in terms of playing style.

We have sneakily been drafting these really heavy wingers for a couple of years. I think it is because boom/bust isn't there and the odds of them being something is good, but also JR and co just like guys who can play the game in the trenches and wear other teams down. The issue is that we are drafting some of these heavier guys but their wheels are suspect. Skating improvement is something that is teachable though.
I'm thinking they really like Andres Lee and the should. I would love for Poulin to hit that upside.

I think a huge thing for Sullivan hockey is chase. You have to be able to skate as a winger. Maybe things will change but even when the Pens have the puck they chase.

I would love for them to be puck heavy... Not just heavy. Keep the puck and make it about possession. Not just throw every mindless shot on net.

To be honest I dont think Poulin is a bad skater just heavy and his legs haven't caught up. Ive been up and down these board complaining... Its not so much about the actual players but the skill left on board. I guess you let the pros do their jobs and armchair scouts complain.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm thinking they really like Andres Lee and the should. I would love for Poulin to hit that upside.

I think a huge thing for Sullivan hockey is chase. You have to be able to skate as a winger. Maybe things will change but even when the Pens have the puck they chase.

I would love for them to be puck heavy... Not just heavy. Keep the puck and make it about possession. Not just throw every mindless shot on net.

To be honest I dont think Poulin is a bad skater just heavy and his legs haven't caught up. Ive been up and down these board complaining... Its not so much about the actual players but the skill left on board. I guess you let the pros do their jobs and armchair scouts complain.

I like Lee. I don't like what Lee is going to fetch on the open market.

I agree with your assessment of Poulin. As I stated in another thread, no where do scouting reports talk about an unorthodox, wonky, or weak stride - quite the opposite. People say his stride is fine...he's needs power.

Lots of video and data in here. Really focused in on Legare's shooting mechanics. Tried to paint the picture of how heavy of a shooter he is. Also, eerie how similar he and Patric Hornqivst are in their on-ice results.

Why did the Penguins trade three picks to draft Nathan...

The more I read and see the more I get jacked up for this guy.

Isn’t grip strength actually a good indicator of shooting power?

Pretty good. Also a good indicator of stick strength, which is big for guys who play net front a lot and have to stick battle.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
No chance either of them makes the team. We're too deep on the big team and in WBS.
If where up against the cap at training camp can't see either staying even for 9 or less game, but if we trade a few dead weight it could be good for Poulin to get a few game before being sent to his LHJMQ team. He's strongh enough to handle the nhl

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If where up against the cap at training camp can't see either staying even for 9 or less game, but if we trade a few dead weight it could be good for Poulin to get a few game before being sent to his LHJMQ team. He's strongh enough to handle the nhl

We might trade one of Rust or Bjugstad to clear cap space, but we're 13 forwards deep at the moment, which means we'd only be clearing a roster spot for another player with a one-way contract (likely ZAR). And after that we have a few guys in WBS knocking on the door (Johnson and Lafferty probably at the top of the list).

Maybe if Poulin shoots the lights out and we see a few injuries in camp, but other than that he's pretty logjammed.

Reactions: Durden Tyler

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
We might trade one of Rust or Bjugstad to clear cap space, but we're 13 forwards deep at the moment, which means we'd only be clearing a roster spot for another player with a one-way contract (likely ZAR). And after that we have a few guys in WBS knocking on the door (Johnson and Lafferty probably at the top of the list).

Maybe if Poulin shoots the lights out and we see a few injuries in camp, but other than that he's pretty logjammed.
Agreed, we won't expose someone to waver for a kid wo will end up in junior league. But the WBS guy can be call up anytime so can get a cup of coffe any time durnig the year

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed, we won't expose someone to waver for a kid wo will end up in junior league. But the WBS guy can be call up anytime so can get a cup of coffe any time durnig the year

Yep. But like I said, Poulin would have to put on quite a show to leapfrog the WBS guys, even for a 9 game trial. Don't see it happening personally.

Durden Tyler

Dec 19, 2017
Yep. But like I said, Poulin would have to put on quite a show to leapfrog the WBS guys, even for a 9 game trial. Don't see it happening personally.
He's pretty mature physically and his game is well rounded, can't see why he coudn't be able to leapfrog a few WBS guy to get a few nhl game under his belt. We don't have a many futur 1st, 2nd liner rooting in the minor anyway

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's pretty mature physically and his game is well rounded, can't see why he coudn't be able to leapfrog a few WBS guy to get a few nhl game under his belt. We don't have a many futur 1st, 2nd liner rooting in the minor anyway

It's possible but the Pens are big on familiarizing players with the system rather than throwing them into the fire, and despite Poulin's build he's pretty much universally considered to be a few years away from the show. I just don't see the Pens giving him that opportunity this year when the forward ranks are as bloated as they are.

Just remember how long it took Guentzel to get a shot here despite how great he was from the second he turned pro. The kid scored 14 points in 10 playoff games when he joined WBS and couldn't get a sniff in Pittsburgh the next year until November.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad