Player Discussion: Nathan Beaulieu

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
And here I was hoping this was an appreciation thread...

Don't need him, can't afford him. Time for Jets' media team to put together a showreel of his greatest hits and shot blocks and send it round the league. Someone will want a warrior for depth D, even if they have to unwrap PoMo's rigid fingers from Nate 88/82's jersey to do it.

In reality, of course, he'll stay and play.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
ooh man I clicked on this page of this thread thinking it was a new one and man my heart sunk thinking we signed him to a new contract.. phew

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With the penny pinching expected by Chevy over the next few months, Beaulieu is certainly to be its main casualty.

The Jets can't have his $1.25 million contract on the roster & also create the cap space for signing Copp, Pionk, Stanley & then operate a 22 man roster. They can't even hand in a roster with Beaulieu's name on it and meet the cap crunch.

He's particularly not needed considering the number of left shooting option at defense the Jets have at their disposal on ELC's making $500,000-ish less than him.

Even waiving him to the minors wouldn't bury his entire salary. $125,000 would be left on the books. I doubt he'd clear anyways. Certainly some team would grab him.

I can see him traded well prior to camp.

Certainly, if he has any trade value, which I think is doubtful. I'd be happy if he was taken off waivers, but I doubt he is. Not out of TC. Teams aren't looking to pick up players at that time. A lot of good players always clear.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
maybe send the rangers a couple videos of him fighting, might be able to get a 3rd from them

That's the good thing about acquiring Brendan Dillon is we have a legitimate scrapper on the backend. I think Logan Stanley was a lot more timid after Josh Brown ragdolled him.

If you asked me who is more integral to the team Beaulieu or Niku, I'd have to say Beaulieu, hands down, as a character guy, who has battled for this team. As far as I can see Niku's main advantage is he can kick around a soccer ball in pregame. But dollars and sense, and having guys like Samberg and Kovacevic ready to take on a Beaulieu like role, I think we've probably seen the last of Beaulieu. Which should make a few guys around here happy.

Reactions: hn777
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
That's the good thing about acquiring Brendan Dillon is we have a legitimate scrapper on the backend. I think Logan Stanley was a lot more timid after Josh Brown ragdolled him.

If you asked me who is more integral to the team Beaulieu or Niku, I'd have to say Beaulieu, hands down, as a character guy, who has battled for this team. As far as I can see Niku's main advantage is he can kick around a soccer ball in pregame. But dollars and sense, and having guys like Samberg and Kovacevic ready to take on a Beaulieu like role, I think we've probably seen the last of Beaulieu. Which should make a few guys around here happy.

Totally agree Beaulieu vs. Niku, Beaulieu checks off every box over Niku other than salary.

Niku at ($725,000) is $525,000 less that Beaulieu ($1,250,000). The difference is 70% of a league minimum salary & is exactly the type of savings the team needs.

Reactions: Mathil8

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
What teams are still looking to add a depth defenseman? Gotta be a few teams that we can swindle a 7th or even a 6th from. C’mon, Someone PLEASE!!!!!

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have no problem having beau in 7th spot. And filling in for injuries.

I don’t really see the big deal.
Cap hit. When Chevy is forced into having Eric Comrie as your backup at 750k, you can't really afford to pay your pressbox defenceman 1.25m. If there's no takers we simply waive him due to this, we can bury all but 125k of his salary in the AHL if he doesn't get claimed.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

It is a big deal.

The cap strapped Jets shouldn't pay a press box defensemen $1.25 million while there's an existing option of using a player on a grandfathered league minimum contract ($725,000) to warm the press box all year.

It's a $525,000 difference if Beaulieu is traded/selected on waivers & a $400,000 difference ($125,000 in buried salary) if he's successfully waived to the AHL.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What teams are still looking to add a depth defenseman? Gotta be a few teams that we can swindle a 7th or even a 6th from. C’mon, Someone PLEASE!!!!!
I'd be willing to give a 7th with him if someone took his whole salary, we could definitely use the 1.25 million in cap space.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

It's a huge deal. When you're right up against the cap and have to sign 2 RFA's you can't have an overpay for a guy who is worse than guys you have on the farm. Not only is he making it more difficult to sign these guys, but he's blocking the way that Heinola and Samberg are going to get into the lineup, which is injury replacement.

I'd say see if we could get a pick for him but I think that's likely. Try to get futures for him and if not just waive him and hope someone picks him up.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
yeah anything to get that money back, trade, waiver, buyout anything! I hope we can get the Copp and Pionk stuff figured out sooner then later just so there is no drama or disruptions in training camp. The jets getting off to a smooth turbulent free start would be greeeaaaaat!

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

Thing is we will never know if Niku was as good as Beaulieu. One was terrible and played continuously despite every metric and eye test. The other guy didn’t play. Which might say more about the guy making the lineup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad