Player Discussion: Nathan Beaulieu

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a hunch that the Jets are more comfortable with Samberg as a 2 LD than many fans are...

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Beaulieu-Poolman

It's not great, but it's better than last season and the Jets keep their powder dry in terms of assets and cap space for 2021/22 and beyond.

I think they would be comfortable with it but I bet they are still looking to see if there is a fit for a second pairing LD whether in FA or a trade.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
If we give him $4 million it had better be over 3 years...

Hamonic's play began to decline the moment he asked for a trade to a team "closer to where his heart lies"

If you've ever watched his ESPN documentary you're aware how deeply he cares for his family.

In addition to health issues others in his family has, 2019 had his eight month old daughter become seriously ill.

Get him home to Winnipeg and I think his head clears and game returns to where it once was.

Doesn't hurt that since he's trended down the possibility of a signing for far less than $4 million exists.

With that said if Chevy can ship out 85's contract a significant defenceman could be acquired.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Hamonic's play began to decline the moment he asked for a trade to a team "closer to where his heart lies"

If you've ever watched his ESPN documentary you're aware how deeply he cares for his family.

In addition to health issues others in his family has, 2019 had his eight month old daughter become seriously ill.

Get him home to Winnipeg and I think his head clears and game returns to where it once was.

Doesn't hurt that since he's trended down the possibility of a signing for far less than $4 million exists.

With that said if Chevy can ship out 85's contract a significant defenceman could be acquired.
Yup, great story but that and a cup of coffee will get you your morning caffeine fix. If Hammonic signs here and rebounds into the player he was 4 years ago great, but we still shouldn’t be paying him more than the going market rate for a bottom pair D-man because that’s what he’s been for the last couple years.

Reactions: Moe Mantha

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
"Just being able to have the opportunity to be able to come back to Winnipeg, that was always my first choice....that's where I want to be, that's where I want to go, this is the best fit for me..."

Full conference call with Nathan Beaulieu on site.

To watch click here.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
20b.png

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Small sample but I would take those results for a third pairing.

My main issue is the second pairing. I am fine with a JoMo/DeMelo top pairing and a Beau/Poolman third pairing.

Asking Samberg to stabilize Pionk is a pretty tall ask imo.

If Samberg falters Heinola and even Niku can step up. If that fails Chevy should explore a move, but I think he can cool it for now. The Jets need to see what they have in some of this youth.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
"Just being able to have the opportunity to be able to come back to Winnipeg, that was always my first choice....that's where I want to be, that's where I want to go, this is the best fit for me..."

Full conference call with Nathan Beaulieu on site.

To watch click here.

I remember season ending, prior to this past one, he shared his like for and comfort feeling with Winnipeg, his teammates, the coaching and staff.
Re-iterated with this re-signing.
Hope he finds a " new level " of output, contribution that can match his enthusiasm for being here!
He's been " not too bad", but mediocre is not going to advance Jets success much! He is an experienced okay fill in, injury relief, give a player a rest guy. If he is penciled in full-time, hope to see better outcome contributions.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I remember season ending, prior to this past one, he shared his like for and comfort feeling with Winnipeg, his teammates, the coaching and staff.
Re-iterated with this re-signing.
Hope he finds a " new level " of output, contribution that can match his enthusiasm for being here!
He's been " not too bad", but mediocre is not going to advance Jets success much! He is an experienced okay fill in, injury relief, give a player a rest guy. If he is penciled in full-time, hope to see better outcome contributions.

After playing in Montreal and Buffalo, two organizations that really went into the crapper, he described playing in Winnipeg, as making hockey fun again.

He's probably a big reason why De Melo fit in to our team instantly, and wanted to stay. So for all the picks we've traded for players that left, we used a 3rd to get 4 + years of De Melo, and a 6th to get 3+ years of Beaulieu. That's not bad.

He played injured for a good part of last year, really since the beginning. We got a boost when he came back on two separate occasions. He looked terrible when he had to play his offside with Bitetto, but I don't see him being put in that position again, as we have guys like Samberg, and Niku who can slide over more easilty. I'm looking at him potentially being the #1PK LD again, since Morrissey is more valuable now as a 5 on 5 player. He and De Melo had us going on a nice run, where we were #1 in the league for the month before the shutdown. If he can contribute again that way, he'll be a valuable addition. Paired with Poolman, they were probably the strongest pairing in the playins.

Might be another d-man in the mix still, though I don't think he will shake Beaulieu out of the starting lineup next year. Paul Maurice was pretty effusive in his praise for him.

Reactions: hn777 and GumbyCan2

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
If Samberg falters Heinola and even Niku can step up. If that fails Chevy should explore a move, but I think he can cool it for now. The Jets need to see what they have in some of this youth.

Niku needs to be resigned before you pencil him in.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
After playing in Montreal and Buffalo, two organizations that really went into the crapper, he described playing in Winnipeg, as making hockey fun again.

He's probably a big reason why De Melo fit in to our team instantly, and wanted to stay. So for all the picks we've traded for players that left, we used a 3rd to get 4 + years of De Melo, and a 6th to get 3+ years of Beaulieu. That's not bad.

He played injured for a good part of last year, really since the beginning. We got a boost when he came back on two separate occasions. He looked terrible when he had to play his offside with Bitetto, but I don't see him being put in that position again, as we have guys like Samberg, and Niku who can slide over more easilty. I'm looking at him potentially being the #1PK LD again, since Morrissey is more valuable now as a 5 on 5 player. He and De Melo had us going on a nice run, where we were #1 in the league for the month before the shutdown. If he can contribute again that way, he'll be a valuable addition. Paired with Poolman, they were probably the strongest pairing in the playins.

Might be another d-man in the mix still, though I don't think he will shake Beaulieu out of the starting lineup next year. Paul Maurice was pretty effusive in his praise for him.

Actually looking back I mixed up some "memories" thinking some "dog-play" was not Beaulieu but Kulikov and / or Sbisa. Now that Sbisa was signed again, I temper my nixed "uggh" toward Sbisa more than Beaulieu. Beaulieu deserves a start at 3rd pair for sure, maybe giving a good look at Samberg up on 2nd pair with Pionk, or Heinola if he outshines Samberg, for trials at tgd start. If Beaulieu is healthy and shows ready, he likely starts 2nd pair. Nothing wrong with that if he shows ready, impresses and is healthy!
I hope he finds a new "level" closer to his "expectant draft time". (1st rounder to Mtl back then!)

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad