News: Nathan Beaulieu requests to be traded from the Sabres

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ya I can see the Canucks looking at Beaulieu for Goldobin.

I think Goldobin offers our roster more than Beaulieu could ever. Someone like Gagner (retained if needed), Schaller, one of the D he'd be replacing (Pouliot or Del Zotto) or another depth piece and a late pick depending on who it is. Not a bad contract, but someone else buried and if needed based on years remaining or cap hit/salary, an accompanying pick is about all I hope we'd muster.

Goldobin is useful for us, at least until we have a replacement available on LW, as Motte, Schaller, Roussel and Gaunce (?) have no business in our top six behind Baertschi as regulars.

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
This was something Buffalo fans identified well before the season. There are just too many defensemen on the roster and not everyone can play. It got even worse when we acquired cap dump Matt Hunwick from Pittsburgh . Before the season we had: Ristolainen, Dahlin, Bogosian, McCabe, Scandella, Nelson, Beaulieu, and Hunwick on the starting roster, with Pilut and Guhle right on the cusp of making the league. Now that Pilut has shown that he's too good to send back down to the AHL, there are 9 guys in the mix to start on any given night.

Beaulieu has been fine this year, if I were the GM of a team that needed a 5/6 LHD, I'd give up a mid-round pick for him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It's a contract year for him, and he's not getting regular playing time. Not surprising.
Maybe a swap for a UFA forward to help Buffalo's depth on the front end?

Reactions: sabresEH

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What's the scouting report for him at this point in his career?

He's been a capable bottom pairing D this year. Doesn't always make the wisest/safest decisions with the puck. Can jump in on the offensive side of things. Happy to drop the mitts if the other team is taking liberties with his teammates. I'd rather have Beaulieu in the line-up than Scandella the way both have played this season, but Housley's obviously never gonna scratch the latter for the former.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Because Housley is an idiot and refuses to sit Scandella no matter how bad hes played. Beaulieu has been solid for the most part this year.
I had heard he had been playing decent enough. Odd that he does not get more time but what ya going to do!

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He's been a reasonably effective player this year. Makes some good reads to press the attack down the wings in the offensive zone. I wouldn't green light him to pinch though, he doesn't make the best reads on those in between pucks.

Mobile, scraps a little bit. Good 6/7 guy, wouldn't be out of place on the right team as a #5. Should be starting consistently for Buffalo.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Yesterday I had the thought of Beaulieu and Hunwick for Del Zotto and Gagner.

Should have posted sooner...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I’d prefer to trade Scandella, or even Ristolainen for the right price, and just move him up the line up. He’s definitely not great, but nobody is going to give you anything worthwhile for him.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I concur with other Sabre fans. Before this year I couldn't wait for him to get off the team. This year he's been a pretty decent bottom pairing defenceman. Some team with a bad bottom pair or injuries wil want his services.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
For the rest of this year he's good depth and he's not going to bring much return in a trade so not much interest in trading him.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
If he can't make the Sabres D, what makes him think he can play on many other teams' D?
Sabres top 6 is rock solid with 3 additions that were either injured or not on the team last year.
Dahlin/Bogosisn
Pilut/Risto
McCabe/Scandella

Scratched:
Beaulieu/Hunwick

That looks much better than a lot of NHL D corps

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3