Player Discussion Nathan Beaulieu Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

This goal is what made me scared of Beaulieu and 5 years later my thought still hasn't changed on him.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
That's true of every single dman. Just less frequently for Weber and Markov.

Not really. Everytime Beaulieu was scored on it was because he turned the puck over or he lost his coverage. It's not always the defensemans fault, but in his case it has been. He's prone to very dumb ass plays that you can't afford in the playoffs.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not really. Everytime Beaulieu was scored on it was because he turned the puck over or he lost his coverage. It's not always the defensemans fault, but in his case it has been. He's prone to very dumb ass plays that you can't afford in the playoffs.

I'm not sure anything I wrote disputed that. What I said was all defensemen make serious errors.

That's not incompatible with Beaulieu making more than his share of them.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Beaulieu is just straight up missing IQ, nevermind hockey IQ. New rule: all Montreal draftees must answer a skill testing question.

The first time I heard Beaulieu speak I thought to myself ''oh jeez that guy is dumb as a rock.''

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think he can turn the corner but I've heard from multiple, different sources that he's dumb as rocks.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think people are being a lot too harsh on a young defenseman coming off a 30 points season, that has substantially increased his totals over the past three successive seasons, and that has done it all usually standing in the dog house, with 3rd pair minutes, little to no consistency in ice-time and linemates, and little to no consistent time on the power-play.

My opinion on him hasn't changed. Put your trust in him, use him on the 2nd or 1st pair with a seasoned veteran that can pick up the slack on the defensive end from time to time, and let him develop. This team has done too little of that over the years, and we get the results we deserve.

Above all, I'm astonished at people being willing at letting him exposed at the draft, or trade him for pennies. He's an asset. A depreciating asset we'd have next to nothing to gain from trading. And most of all, he's an underperforming asset. It'd be such a waste to give up on him before even giving him a chance to play under a suitable defensive coach for an entire season, a suitable head coach for an entire season, a suitable defensive partner for an entire season, or the tiniest bit of consistency for an entire season. We expect our young players to be consistent, but make it next to impossible for them to deliver consistent results.

Is he the smartest defenseman out there... No. But it's not like we expect him to carry a first pairing anymore. We're well past that stage. It doesn't mean he can't be of any help on a team that cruelly lacks puck movers on the defensive end.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think at the worst he'll have a Hainsey like career.

I've been comping him to Hainsey since early in his Hamilton days. Skilled but does dumb things at times. I don't mind him as a 3rd pairing D that can fill in on the 2nd pairing if need be as long as he remains cheap or not too expensive.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I don't get why people think Jerabek will replace Beaulieu

Beaulieu is very most likely better than him
Beaulieu had almost 30 pts this season in the nhl
Jerabek had 34 pts in the khl

Beaulieu is big, and can skate
Jerabek is small

Beaulieu is also 2 years younger
... And Beaulieu sucks... He's the kind of player you replace easily as long as you get someone who's mobile.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
If you look at Beaulieu's profile he's everything you wish for. When you watch him play you wonder if he knows what's happening on the ice. I wouldn't be surprised if Jakub is the exact opposit.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
If you look at Beaulieu's profile he's everything you wish for. When you watch him play you wonder if he knows what's happening on the ice. I wouldn't be surprised if Jakub is the exact opposit.
Yeah, looking at his HockeyDB page, seems like Beaulieu would be a good 2nd pairing D with uprise.

But he honestly doesn't have much going on between his ears. When a mentoring by Shea Weber can't help a player, you know something's wrong. And this is coming from a guy who defended him for a long time.

As soon as he said "I didn't learn anything" after being healthy scratched by Julien, I knew his time in Montreal was up.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Fire Bergevin
Feb 21, 2012
I don't get why people think Jerabek will replace Beaulieu

Beaulieu is very most likely better than him
Beaulieu had almost 30 pts this season in the nhl
Jerabek had 34 pts in the khl

Beaulieu is big, and can skate
Jerabek is small

Beaulieu is also 2 years younger

Simple => because Beaulieu has no hockey IQ.

It's great to have attributes, but he can't use them with his current brain.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Easier said then done. Beaulieu still tries out there

but jerabek would be a much better addition to our bottom 6, so would be nygren

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Beaulieu has plateaud as a player...there's been very little progression in his game since he was drafted even.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Beaulieu is tall(ish) hes not big by any means. he gets knocked off the puck easily.
jerabek played close to 20 less games and still garnered more points.
Beaulieu most likely will not be protected so this could very well be a backup plan if hes taken by Vegas.

I'm hoping the Habs protect him. He has trade value (maybe not enough to get a top line player, but something). I don't see him as being much different than Franson. Franson netted the Leafs a 1st rounder as a rental. Franson had better point totals, so I doubt you get a 1st for Beaulieu, but maybe a 2nd or a couple of picks/prospects. If the Habs lose him via expansion draft or waivers, than it will be just another example of asset mismanagement.

Jul 6, 2016

If Beaulieu would be more disciplined off the ice, it would be a good start to be more alert when it's times to practice and play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad