Player Discussion Nathan Beaulieu Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Beaulieu is 24 in 1 month, he's played over 151 games. I don't see him improving. He's actually a veteran. Gostisbehere is the same age and played half as many games as Beaulieu but looks like a player who's been in the league for 10 years. Its called hockey sense. A player with hockey sense will dump the puck in when we are up by 2 with 1 minute left. Instead Beaulieu tried to shot through 4 Bruins for the empty net?
Resulted in turn over and Weber had to dump Marchaud or else its 4-3.

Klingberg is another player at the same age and same games played. He's a top pairing d on Dallas and makes smart plays.

My point is Beaulieu doesn't skate well, nor does he have hockey sense and smarts to make a good play. If you put him with Weber, Petry, he won't look out of place because those guys are covering up for his lack of hockey sense and decision making. If you put him with Emelin or Pateryn his lack of skills will be more evident. He shouldnt be playing 21 mins a night.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
Beaulieu is 24 in 1 month, he's played over 151 games. I don't see him improving. He's actually a veteran. Gostisbehere is the same age and played half as many games as Beaulieu but looks like a player who's been in the league for 10 years. Its called hockey sense. A player with hockey sense will dump the puck in when we are up by 2 with 1 minute left. Instead Beaulieu tried to shot through 4 Bruins for the empty net?

Klingberg is another player at the same age and same games played. He's a top pairing d on Dallas and makes smart plays.

My point is Beaulieu doesn't skate well, nor does he have hockey sense and smarts to make a good play. If you put him with Weber, Petry, he won't look out of place because those guys are covering up for his lack of hockey sense and decision making. If you put him with Emelin or Pateryn his lack of skills will be more evident. He shouldnt be playing 21 mins a night.

Of course Gostisbehere and Klingberg are better, but his tendency to make turnovers is 100% correctable. He will learn a lot by being paired up with Weber and I rather see his flaws at the start of the season while we are winning then in the playoffs when it really matters.

Lastly, I don't understand the part where you say Beaulieu doesn't skate well, he's a pretty good skating defenseman IMO and his turnovers have nothing to do with his skating.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If I cared enough to search for videos of Klingberg or Gost. , I am sure that I could find both of them making a boneheaded play.

The vibe here around Beaulieu is starting to feel eerily similar to the vibe around Pacioretty. There is a common denominator and that denominator is gone.

Beaulieu made a mistake. I'm sure his pairing partner will discuss it with him and he and the team will move forward with greater wisdom.

Other than that Beaulieu is getting the job done on the top pairing with Weber. Lost in the Beaulieu angst are his 4 SOG, and his +1 last night. In other words, he has been thrust into the Top Pairing role and it isn't hurting the Habs efforts as a team.

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008

You are entitled to your opinion but the bolded is just flat out wrong Beaulieu is one of the better skaters on the team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If I cared enough to search for videos of Klingberg or Gost. , I am sure that I could find both of them making a boneheaded play.

The vibe here around Beaulieu is starting to feel eerily similar to the vibe around Pacioretty. There is a common denominator and that denominator is gone.

Beaulieu made a mistake. I'm sure his pairing partner will discuss it with him and he and the team will move forward with greater wisdom.

Other than that Beaulieu is getting the job done on the top pairing with Weber. Lost in the Beaulieu angst are his 4 SOG, and his +1 last night. In other words, he has been thrust into the Top Pairing role and it isn't hurting the Habs efforts as a team.

Nathan is fine the problem last night was Emelin's pinch with the Bruins dead in the water...
I keep asking myself where are his outlets on some of those turn-overs?
I guess he should just fire it down the ice for an icing. :help:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Nathan is fine the problem last night was Emelin's pinch with the Bruins dead in the water...
I keep asking myself where are his outlets on some of those turn-overs?
I guess he should just fire it down the ice for an icing. :help:

You can find examples of plays like this in every game on every night in the NHL. The difference is the level of attention given to plays like this after a win against a rival that stands out.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
For a place that always wants its young players to get a chance HF really has no patience with them.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
For a place that always wants its young players to get a chance HF really has no patience with them.

Well said.

What we want to see with Beaulieu is improvement in decision making. This is the key for him.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

It hasnt hurt them yet. 2 games in a row with glaring mistakes. Beaulieu is doing all the stuff you harped on a certain individual for and you are making all the excuses in the world for him, funny to read. Habs are in for some trouble if he cant get past making mistakes, as it will mean Markov has to play more minutes or Barberio. Neither one of those options will mean good things for the TEAM as the season gets deeper. Although it is too early to take anything concrete from the games the fact that its been 2 games in a row could cause concern to some but Ill wait until 15 games or so to call it a problem.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It hasnt hurt them yet. 2 games in a row with glaring mistakes. Beaulieu is doing all the stuff you harped on a certain individual for and you are making all the excuses in the world for him, funny to read. Habs are in for some trouble if he cant get past making mistakes, as it will mean Markov has to play more minutes or Barberio. Neither one of those options will mean good things for the TEAM as the season gets deeper. Although it is too early to take anything concrete from the games the fact that its been 2 games in a row could cause concern to some but Ill wait until 15 games or so to call it a problem.

Beaulieu provides more than enough value for $1M per year. If he were paid $9M, then we could rightly complain a lot more.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Yes it hasn't hurt the team yet, but there are signs that show us he's not ready to play these kind of minutes in playoffs. It's like the last few years markov playing 24 min a night never hurt the team during the regular season, but everybody knows that come playoff time you can't have Markov 24 min. He got eaten alive by a weak Sens team for gods sake. Same with Beaulieu, ya it's ok now but you cannot in the playoffs with him on the first pair. Disaster just waiting to happen. Not a knock on him, still a good player but just not good enough for that kind of exposure.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

and you win. great point.

and I'm not agreeing with this solely on NB but only all the time.

NB's looked rough at times. Can he still be better? Absolutely. He's already shown himself to have been much better than last year. Just think how bad he'd be if he was on the top pairing last year.

Wll he be better? That's not certain at all. Brain cramps have been a part of his game for a long long time. The Bs really came alive in the 3rd and rough games will happen.

NB has definitely earned some patience but there's nothing wrong with being a bit worried about him on our first pairing.

I still think the bigger hole is Pleks as a 2nd line C.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
and you win. great point.

and I'm not agreeing with this solely on NB but only all the time.

NB's looked rough at times. Can he still be better? Absolutely. He's already shown himself to have been much better than last year. Just think how bad he'd be if he was on the top pairing last year.

Wll he be better? That's not certain at all. Brain cramps have been a part of his game for a long long time. The Bs really came alive in the 3rd and rough games will happen.

NB hars definitely earned some patience but there's nothing wrong with being a bit worried about him on our first pairing.

I still think the bigger hole is Pleks as a 2nd line C.

Beaulieu hasn't shown an ounce of improvement from last season. He has looked bad in every game this season. He was nothing short of terrible last night with the final bonehead play just topping it off.

Calling Plekanec a bigger problem than Beaulieu is incomprehensible. Plekanec is a proven 2nd line center whereas Beaulieu is a 3rd pairing dman trying to play on the first pairing.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I am no hockey expert by any means, I will admit that I have never played ice hockey in my life because I suck balls at skating. That being said, I have a hard time comprehending how Beaulieu has been terrible every game. He's been inconsistent but I'm digging his game and think it's heading in the right direction. He's definitely forming an identity as a player. I've said this on numerous occasions on this board, and take it for what it's worth, but Bruce Boudreau once said that a defenseman takes 300 NHL games before getting comfortable. Beaulieu just passed the halfway mark there. I was never a huge fan of Beaulieu, I actually preferred Tinordi as a prospect back in 2012, but I have to say that I have liked his progression in the last two years. He's finally starting to show his vision and utilize his, albeit not amazing, shot.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Your post lost all credibility when you said Beaulieu does not skate well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am coming to the realization that maybe this is as good as he will get. His hockey sense simply is not there.

You have to believe MB is looking at other options. No way he is Weber's partner longterm.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Beaulieu hasn't shown an ounce of improvement from last season. He has looked bad in every game this season. He was nothing short of terrible last night with the final bonehead play just topping it off.

He had a rough one last night, but I have to disagree with you regarding the earlier games. He's done a lot of good things and even though I don't think he's the answer long term, to not give him props over the past few games would be wrong.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
The problem is that decision making has been Nate's biggest problem since being drafted. He has the physical stature and the good skating, but it's becoming increasingly unclear that he will ever amount to that #2/#3 PMD and big point contributor that we expected. The season is still young and the most important part of all this is how he ends up responding to his early season struggles.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The problem is that decision making has been Nate's biggest problem since being drafted. He has the physical stature and the good skating, but it's becoming increasingly unclear that he will ever amount to that #2/#3 PMD and big point contributor that we expected. The season is still young and the most important part of all this is how he ends up responding to his early season struggles.

It's all between the ears with Nate for sure.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I have no issues with Beaulieu's play. What, because he's young (ish?), he's not allowed to make mistakes? All players make mistakes. :dunno:

Exactly
And his mistakes haven't even been costly

Right now, he's +7, second in our team and 5th in the league
I think there was only 1 or 2 goals in 5 games that has been scored on us when Nate's pairing was on the ice.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Exactly
And his mistakes haven't even been costly

Right now, he's +7, second in our team and 5th in the league
I think there was only 1 or 2 goals in 5 games that has been scored on us when Nate's pairing was on the ice.

he's solid.

He's just under the microscope, most teams would be lucky to have him. he's our number 4 right now, i've got no problems with that.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
He is the same player he was in junior. He is a good skater with good puck control and decent size. Thats what he was and that who is to this day.

I dont mind the dude. He will be a good 3rd pairing dman for quite some time. Can be used as a 4th.

His hockey sense was always my biggest concern with him. I mean he has been doing those soft passes and a lot of soft play with the puck in transition.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I am coming to the realization that maybe this is as good as he will get. His hockey sense simply is not there.

You have to believe MB is looking at other options. No way he is Weber's partner longterm.

Sergachev will likely develop into that long term option for us. Hopefully Beaulieu will develop into a good short term option by the trade deadline other wise MB might have to acquire a top D.

With only $1.7 mil in cap space right now that's going to be a challenge. I say keep playing Beaulieu on the top pair and see how he develops as the year goes on. He has the tools to be a good partner for Weber, but his decision making is what's holding him back. He's been making bad plays under pressure and trying to force passes that aren't there. Let's be patient and see if he can figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad