Player Discussion Nathan Beaulieu Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
He's not gonna be what we were all hoping for. He's just not. He's not good at defence. I think we gotta trade him and protect benn instead. I just don't like his game at all. Doesn't play right

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
I've been defending Beaulieu for years saying he was gonna become a good top 4 dman. I'm done. I'd protect Benn over him for the expansion draft.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Beaulieu played very well against the NYR's, especially during the prolonged penalty to both Weber & Benn, who have been great for the Habs. Most teams/defencemen would have buckled under those situations, Nathan is maturing into a great teammate, whose goal is for team benefit & his teammates, maturity +++. Go Nathan Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Benn isn't going to be as productive on O as Nate is. You can't compare what these 2 bring. Second there is a 7 year gap. If anything we can sign Nate for cheap in the offseason. And we may lose just a single player if at all to LV. I don't understand the panic.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Holy **** was he awful tonight or what

He had a rough game. But the first and 2nd goal are not solely on him. Both goal was the result of defensive meltdown by at least 3 players.

First goal :

Honestly the pass to Beaulieu was not a good one and put him in trouble. Nesterov read this play like a peewee player. He has the play in front of him. He sees Beaulieu is in trouble. What does he do? He just stay there and do not backcheck until it's already too late. Also when the puck was lost by Beaulieu Lehkonen was close to Grabner (i think it was Lehkonen). When the puck is not in possession of your team anymore you must follow your man. For a split second Lehkonen leave his man. Both Lehkonen (if it was him) and Nestorov play this like if Beaulieu was in perfect possession of the puck. Reality is he was not. He was in trouble and needed help. Both should have been backcheking hard to help Beaulieu before Beaulieu even turn the puck over. This play was not hard to read. Before Grabner take the puck and fly i was wondering WTF Nestorev was doing standing there waiting at the blue line for Beaulieu to make an almost impossible pass. Beaulieu should not have tried to make that pass while diving. Absolutely no doubt. Was a bad play. But very bad read by both Nesterov and the forward close to Grabner.

2nd goal :

1st the main reason there was a goal is the bad change. No bad change no goal. 2nd Beaulieu was playing on the right side replacing Weber. He did not play one single second in this situation all season long. Not a single nanosecond. He did a bad play pressuring the puck carrier at the blue line while the team is caugh on a bad change. But ultimately he stops his man at the blue line. Watch the replay on NHL.com and stop the video at 3 seconds. There's so much space in between Markov and Beaulieu that even if Beaulieu reads the play better and don't pressure the puck carrier he is stuck in a mini 2 on 1 against 2 players coming at full speed and Markov coming in late. The 3 forwards did absolutely nothing on the play to slow NYR forwards down (mostly due to a bad line change). They were both coming a full speed attacking Beaulieu. If Beaulieu check Nash then it gives a lot of space to the puck carrier to make a play. People who think Nash stop instead of going to the net with beaulieu checking him don't know anything about hockey. Nash was going to the net with or without the puck and if Beaulieu follows him the puck carrier has all the place in the world to make a play. There's was no NYR player on the left side. Absolutely nobody. Beaulieu probably thought Markov would be able to get Nash. Utimately if Markov is not coming late because of a bad line change Nash is his player. If Danault is not coming late because of a bad line change then Beaulieu can check Nash while Danault take the puck carrier in his backcheck. But all of this did not happen. Both Danault and Markov were late because of the bad line change and Beaulieu was stuck alone against 2 forwards coming at full speed. He could have player that better. But that goal is mostly the result of a bad line change.

3rd goal :

I think it's the worst goal for him. He was stuck on the wrong side and looked totally lost.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Beaulieu played very well against the NYR's, especially during the prolonged penalty to both Weber & Benn, who have been great for the Habs. Most teams/defencemen would have buckled under those situations, Nathan is maturing into a great teammate, whose goal is for team benefit & his teammates, maturity +++. Go Nathan Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

He was partially or wholly to blame for all 3 Rangers goals tonight...

That's always going to be Beaulieu though. He'll drive you crazy some nights because his hockey IQ just isn't very good.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Wake up Nate!

Emelinator can't be back soon enough...

Nesterov will sit, not NB.

1st goal was on him, 2nd was a bad line change more than anything.. NB checked the player with the puck he wasn't out of position.

3rd goal I don't see how thats him?

He had a bad game but much better in the 3rd. Nesterov did **** all though, when Emelin is back we should go back to Benn/Beaulieu, Emelin/Petry

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nesterov will sit, not NB.

1st goal was on him, 2nd was a bad line change more than anything.. NB checked the player with the puck he wasn't out of position.

3rd goal I don't see how thats him?

He had a bad game but much better in the 3rd. Nesterov did **** all though, when Emelin is back we should go back to Benn/Beaulieu, Emelin/Petry

Naaah , I don't want him to sit. I want Emelin back so he can get a decent partner... Either Benn or Emelin , Nesterov is brutal...

But Beau has to make smarter decisions with the puck out there... It's the story of his career ffs! He's still inconsistent...

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Look, I have been defending Beaulieu on this thread. But tonight, it is not just about the goals, but his play in general. He really irritated me. Have you seen that horrible D to D pass he made in the O-zone, in the first or second period? It missed the other guy by about 3 feet. In fact it was so bad that the analyst on the stream I was watching (Sportsnet I think) commented on it. And other times, juggling the puck etc.

One poster above said "the good and the bad, live wth it" Sorry dude, but this is the playoffs, you don't live with it, you die because of it.

Wake up Nate, we need the best of you. At all times.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Look, I have been defending Beaulieu on this thread. But tonight, it is not just about the goals, but his play in general. He really irritated me. Have you seen that horrible D to D pass he made in the O-zone, in the first or second period? It missed the other guy by about 3 feet. In fact it was so bad that the analyst on the stream I was watching (Sportsnet I think) commented on it. And other times, juggling the puck etc.

One poster above said "the good and the bad, live wth it" Sorry dude, but this is the playoffs, you don't live with it, you die because of it.

Wake up Nate, we need the best of you. At all times.

Beaulieu was sloppy and lacked concentration. Two things you can't have in the playoffs. He's capable of being better, and we need it.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Beaulieu was sloppy and lacked concentration. Two things you can't have in the playoffs. He's capable of being better, and we need it.

How can you explain this lack of concentration? I mean, wake the **** up Nate! He still seems immature, to be honest...

Just weak mentally or I don't know what the heck is wrong with him...

It's like he's not serious enough...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Glad the switched up the pairings, terrible idea to begin with putting Beaulieu with Nesterov since both struggle in their own end so badly at times. Had we lost last night, it could have cost us the series as you don't want to go down 2-0 and then go on the road. Have been saying all along that you just can't trust Beaulieu as at times he just does really stupid things. Of course having Price bail him out helps but in the playoffs a single mistake can cost us the game since we usually aren't going to put up a lot of offense.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

One of the worst defensive game by Beaulieu yesterday.

That guy still doesn't have a clue how to play in his zone. Please don't sign him a for long contract this summer...

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
I just realized that Nate was on for all three goals the Rangers scored last night. On the third, his play is particularly terrible. He is just doing nothing. He is not trying to cover any of the Ranger players around Price. The first goal was completely on him.

I have been hard on him for a long time, but mostly due to his poor contribution offensively. I always thought that as an "offensive" defenseman, you need to be able to put a good shot at the net, and Nate was bad at that. However, I saw some improvement in that regard in the second half of the season. Unfortunately, seeing him tonight in the defensive zone, it made me realize that he has a long way to go before becoming a (positive) difference maker for this club. It looks like Beaulieu's IQ and confidence levels are really low. He will become better than what he is showing, but he might top out as a 5th defenseman.

I was thinking that we could potentially afford to trade Sergachev (as part of a package) for a top line center (Tavares, MacKinnon, but not Duchene). I don't really think that anymore, even though I am far from convinced that Sergachev will be a top defenseman in the NHL. If Sergachev does not pan out, we are in big trouble.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

That guy still doesn't have a clue how to play in his zone. Please don't sign him a for long contract this summer...

I don't see management going for a long term deal, as I'm sure they are wondering what the heck they have in him as well. If they can find a good steady partner for him like Benn (if he's not picked in expansion), he should be a solid bottom pairing D that can fill in from time to time in the top 4. Will be interesting to see what he gets, my wild guess has been around 2.5M as long as they don't go the arbitration route.

I just realized that Nate was on for all three goals the Rangers scored last night. On the third, his play is particularly terrible. He is just doing nothing. He is not trying to cover any of the Ranger players around Price. The first goal was completely on him.

I have been hard on him for a long time, but mostly due to his poor contribution offensively. I always thought that as an "offensive" defenseman, you need to be able to put a good shot at the net, and Nate was bad at that. However, I saw some improvement in that regard in the second half of the season. Unfortunately, seeing him tonight in the defensive zone, it made me realize that he has a long way to go before becoming a (positive) difference maker for this club. It looks like Beaulieu's IQ and confidence levels are really low. He will become better than what he is showing, but he might top out as a 5th defenseman.

I was thinking that we could potentially afford to trade Sergachev (as part of a package) for a top line center (Tavares, MacKinnon, but not Duchene). I don't really think that anymore, even though I am far from convinced that Sergachev will be a top defenseman in the NHL. If Sergachev does not pan out, we are in big trouble.

agreed. I can live with some bad defensive play if the points are there, at least the offense is finally showing up. The question is how much more can the production go, can he find a way to score more goals, and with a solid steady stay at home type can he find a way to do better in his own end. If so you have a really solid bottom pairing D that you can use in the top 4 to fill in from time to time as long as he has a steady partner.

If Sergachev doesn't pan out we are surely boned since Markov is going to retire at some point in the next few years I would think.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Hes getting traded, that I am convinced. I've said it a while ago, Benn will be protected, Beaulieu will be moved.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Hes getting traded, that I am convinced. I've said it a while ago, Benn will be protected, Beaulieu will be moved.

He wants to be called Nate The Great but I prefer to call him Average Nate....I prefer playing a guy like Sergachev as a 5th D and let it him learn than Average Nate that will never be good because of lack of hockey IQ.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He was so awful last night - a real train wreck. Like, remember that game against Florida where he played out of his mind for a couple period? Last night was the opposite of that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He wants to be called Nate The Great but I prefer to call him Average Nate....I prefer playing a guy like Sergachev as a 5th D and let it him learn than Average Nate that will never be good because of lack of hockey IQ.

You automatically get the loser tag the second you give yourself a nickname.....I'll still be rooting for him because he's a hab, but I fully expect for him to be dealt in the off season.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
You automatically get the loser tag the second you give yourself a nickname.....I'll still be rooting for him because he's a hab, but I fully expect for him to be dealt in the off season.

Not sure he is worth trading. He will not get much back. I don't even think he would be pickup by LV if we don't protect him. Better keep him for now. It's not like we have a lot of options on the left side.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
When has he ever said that he wants to be called Nate the Great? The only time I ever heard that were the morons at RDS saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad