Player Discussion Nathan Beaulieu Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Guys are too harsh on Beaulieu

he's well on his way to being solid top 4 for us, and has been having a stellar pre-season, absolutely great to see, even last year he had flashes of briliance between unlucky injuries, it happens

its not his fault markov and emelin are still on the team. id like to believe markov and emelins days are numbered as habs more than beaulieus, at least i hope so...ive been wrong before, *cough*pk*cough*

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Well, Beaulieu is playing tomorrow and Pateryn isn't, so we'll see him with a different defense partner for the first time this preseason. Who do you guys think he'll be paired with?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well, Beaulieu is playing tomorrow and Pateryn isn't, so we'll see him with a different defense partner for the first time this preseason. Who do you guys think he'll be paired with?

RDS had him with Redmond this afternoon. Not sure how reliable that's supposed to be.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Nate can play top 4 on this team. He will make the mistakes that go with transitioning and growing to the next level. This coach has to stop taking those mistakes as a personal insult. The insecure and sometimes useless coach has to do with Nate as he does with Emein and Markov after mistakes, keep playing him regularly.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Start him off on the third pairing, if he does well to start the year then consider him moving up with Shea depending on how the D pairings are look.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm really hoping that his offensive upside will trump the other warts he still seems to have or they can just slowly dissipate as the year goes on. Still a lot to like from his game. Not 100% sure that it's enough but it's still pretty encouraging. I've always thought he'd never really meet his potential or just flat out bust but he's made good strides.

I like all of his quotes recently too about his teammates. He seems like a really good team guy. I think he 's still a top 4 at the very least and that's a great asset to have. I think he'll likely be a guy that divides the fan base as to what their opinion is of him.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
He looks very confident so far, jumping into the play and using his speed/skating well. Still has had some defensive breakdowns and positional errors but we'll see what happens when the season starts. I guess he's going to be paired with Pateryn, who also is looking good out there, perhaps they will feed off each other well as Beaulieu can pass it and Pateryn has the shoot that Beaulieu doesn't. The problem will be in their own end, so we'll see how that goes.

Beaulieu's main stumbling block has always been his play in the defensive zone. Going back to his junior days, it's what kept him off thrice on the national team.

His point totals as a young NHLer don't the concern me at all. To the contrary, with increased PP time and offensive responsibilities, his points should increase dramatically. If he can play defense-- and the jury is still out--he'll be okay.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Beaulieu's main stumbling block has always been his play in the defensive zone. Going back to his junior days, it's what kept him off thrice on the national team.

His point totals as a young NHLer don't the concern me at all. To the contrary, with increased PP time and offensive responsibilities, his points should increase dramatically. If he can play defense-- and the jury is still out--he'll be okay.

I agree that has been his main stumbling block. I get concerned when he repeatedly makes the same mistakes which leads me to question his IQ but I never doubted his talent as his skating and ability to move the puck are just what the new NHL is leaning towards.

I know that defensemen can take longer, but I do find it very troubling that a top 17 pick in over 150 NHL games has a grand total of 3 goals. If you struggle in your own end and can't produce much in the way of offense, it's concerning to me. That said if he plays with Weber, I fully expect him to take another leap forward, the question is by how much and how effective can he be come playoff time. If he can be a legit top 4 on a top team, it will be huge for us since he's about to turn 24 and will should have Weber/Petry for several years and then we have Sergachev/Juulsen so we could be in decent shape if things pan out leaving management to hopefully focus on improving the top 6.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
I agree that has been his main stumbling block. I get concerned when he repeatedly makes the same mistakes which leads me to question his IQ but I never doubted his talent as his skating and ability to move the puck are just what the new NHL is leaning towards.

I know that defensemen can take longer, but I do find it very troubling that a top 17 pick in over 150 NHL games has a grand total of 3 goals. If you struggle in your own end and can't produce much in the way of offense, it's concerning to me. That said if he plays with Weber, I fully expect him to take another leap forward, the question is by how much and how effective can he be come playoff time. If he can be a legit top 4 on a top team, it will be huge for us since he's about to turn 24 and will should have Weber/Petry for several years and then we have Sergachev/Juulsen so we could be in decent shape if things pan out leaving management to hopefully focus on improving the top 6.

He has a weak shot which explains his lack of goal scoring and his defremsive play is nothing to write home about. I truly believe that Weber will mask any weaknesses in his game and allow him to focus on his strengths this year.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I hope he does well this year but he still does to many stupid turnovers.

Watch the game on Thursday and count how many times Beau will be in our zone and curl back and lose the puck or make a bad pass to his partner and lose the puck. Its infuriating. When he gets the puck I can just already see him making a weak play resulting in the other team getting the puck back. He needs to get that out of his game because he has shown he can play without doing those dumb mistakes.

With Sergy on the team its a kick in the pants for Beau. He is a guy who has a shot at doing everything Beau was advertised as being able to do but at an elite level.

NB when you have the puck in our zone make the safe play and get it out of the zone no stupid curling back or passes that your partner can't get to!

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I agree that Weber will cover his mistakes well and give him the confidence to play his offensive game. He's still very young for a D-Man, I still got hope for him. Expecting atleast 35-40 pts out of him this year.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I hope he does well this year but he still does to many stupid turnovers.

Watch the game on Thursday and count how many times Beau will be in our zone and curl back and lose the puck or make a bad pass to his partner and lose the puck. Its infuriating. When he gets the puck I can just already see him making a weak play resulting in the other team getting the puck back. He needs to get that out of his game because he has shown he can play without doing those dumb mistakes.

With Sergy on the team its a kick in the pants for Beau. He is a guy who has a shot at doing everything Beau was advertised as being able to do but at an elite level.

NB when you have the puck in our zone make the safe play and get it out of the zone no stupid curling back or passes that your partner can't get to!

1. You're ridiculously too hard on Beaulieu whom just had a fantastic camp on the offensive side of the puck.

2. That's why the Weber acquisition is a career changer for the kid. Wether it's on ice decisions or off-ice preparation, he'll have Shea constantly giving him advice. We endured Subban being a turnover machine, surely we can endure the learning curve of Nate Beaulieu.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
1. You're ridiculously too hard on Beaulieu whom just had a fantastic camp on the offensive side of the puck.

2. That's why the Weber acquisition is a career changer for the kid. Wether it's on ice decisions or off-ice preparation, he'll have Shea constantly giving him advice. We endured Subban being a turnover machine, surely we can endure the learning curve of Nate Beaulieu.

I think he had a good camp the first few games and was dominate but as the competition got better I noticed he was making those same mistakes. I like NB and want him to succeed and I think he can (like you said with Webers help as well) but to many times when he gets the puck in the O-zone he makes a bad play rather than just getting it out quickly.

Watch next game and count the times he causes trouble in the zone rather than getting it out quickly. He does it too often for my liking and needs to be better in making the simple play in getting the puck out. Outside of that aspect I like what he brings but he puts the team in trouble to much in the offensive zone. Instead of a simple play he will put it in the wrong place and allow the opposition to create a turnover.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think he had a good camp the first few games and was dominate but as the competition got better I noticed he was making those same mistakes. I like NB and want him to succeed and I think he can (like you said with Webers help as well) but to many times when he gets the puck in the O-zone he makes a bad play rather than just getting it out quickly.

Watch next game and count the times he causes trouble in the zone rather than getting it out quickly. He does it too often for my liking and needs to be better in making the simple play in getting the puck out. Outside of that aspect I like what he brings but he puts the team in trouble to much in the offensive zone. Instead of a simple play he will put it in the wrong place and allow the opposition to create a turnover.

yeah i pretty much saw the same thing. his mistakes generally never seem too costly but they can be a bit too numerous and ugly for a potential top pairing guy.

he's made great strides but still quite a few mistakes. if he can iron out some of the kinks he could be dynamite. i can definitely seem him being pretty infuriating at times this year.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Breakout Hab in 16-17. The kid has matured. Hopefully that goof of a coach won't go back to screwing with this head. Let him play.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm seeing a lot of people being very critical of Beau's pre season and I just don't get it. Sure, he's made a couple bad plays but he's been phenomenal overall. He's going to make mistakes but that's the kind of player he is. He's made huge strides since last year and that's all we can ask for.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Interesting.... seen on a betting site today

Most points - Beaulieu/Petry/Bouwmeester
Nathan Beaulieu +105
Jeff Petry +185
Jay Bouwmeester +215

so basicly, they see Beaulieu a lot better than Petry

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Nathan Beaulieu +105
Jeff Petry +185
Jay Bouwmeester +215

What kind of betting site would have a bet like that? That's messed up.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004

Nathan Beaulieu +105
Jeff Petry +185
Jay Bouwmeester +215

I think they are only going points-wise.

Petry has a points-high of 22 in the last two years, Bouwmeester has a points-high of 19 in the last two years. Petry has never been a big points producer too.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'm seeing a lot of people being very critical of Beau's pre season and I just don't get it. Sure, he's made a couple bad plays but he's been phenomenal overall. He's going to make mistakes but that's the kind of player he is. He's made huge strides since last year and that's all we can ask for.

Pretty silly, i bet if PK did the same nobody would say ****.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I was left with very few d-men available in my pool and took him as a boom or bust pick in the final rounds. With little selection left of any proven d-men, I think he might surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad