Player Discussion Nate Schmidt

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Schmidt: good fit on a good defence, bad fit on a bad defence
Schmidt still needs to learn Green’s systems. What’s that you say? “Can’t learn what doesn’t exist”. Good point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Generally speaking you don’t get gamebreakers for 3rd round picks. I think canucks fans expectations and canucks media hype was a bit absurd for this player.

The 3rd is pretty irrelevant, it's the contract they were trading for. Obviously expectations will be high for anyone making as much as he does.

I don't really have a good opinion of him yet, he doesn't jump out at me. He seems pretty good. Is that 6 million good? Not really sure yet.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Banning didn’t steal anything. He didn’t give up much in assets but he took on a mediocre defensman with term and a high price tag. That’s not a steal.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
The 3rd is pretty irrelevant, it's the contract they were trading for. Obviously expectations will be high for anyone making as much as he does.

I don't really have a good opinion of him yet, he doesn't jump out at me. He seems pretty good. Is that 6 million good? Not really sure yet.
If he were more valuable the market would have pushed his value higher than a 3rd. I think canucks fans bit into the Canucks media hype train hard on this guy. Seems like a decent 4th Dman.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If he were more valuable the market would have pushed his value higher than a 3rd. I think canucks bit into the Canucks media hype train hard on this guy. Seems like a decent 4th Dman.

That's true, and I definitely had my doubts when the trade was made for that reason as it didn't add up to me. I'm not ready to pin him as a #4 guy but I'm also not ready to say this trade was a steal or anything either. I think he'll be a good addition, but he needs to be a top-pairing guy for that price. I'm willing to let things play out and see where it goes.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Schmidt's current struggles on the Canuck blueline cement it for me.....The Canucks helter-skelter playing style and poor defensive structure make it tough for any d-man to be consistent night after night. Even Hughes is struggling on the defensive end right now.

It's hard to recognize the current version of Schmidt from the one who played for Vegas in the bubble last summer. But when you're constantly trying to cover up for somebody else's mistakes, it takes you out of your game. And it isn't long before you lose the strengths in your game and overall things begin to suffer.

You look at the Canucks blueline on paper, and it just shouldn't be as bad as it is. But until this team plays better defensively, the blueliners are going to get lit up.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Tanev was a stylistic fit with Hughes but their results as a pair fell off dramatically in the second half of last season as teams figured out how to attack them.
And everyone said Hughes was carrying Tanev, yet so far Tanev is rocking the 7th best Corsi % in the league for dmen and allows the 13th Least shot attempts per 60 of any Dman in the league.

Hasn’t been scored on at 5 on 5 yet either.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
And everyone said Hughes was carrying Tanev, yet so far Tanev is rocking the 7th best Corsi % in the league for dmen and allows the 13th Least shot attempts per 60 of any Dman in the league.

Hasn’t been scored on at 5 on 5 yet either.

Yeah what's the over/under on # of more games Tanev plays before he's hurt?

Love the guy and he's a warrior and solid player but I would be shocked if he's half the player he is right now come playoff time this year...........especially with the condensed schedule.

Reactions: Breakers

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah what's the over/under on # of more games Tanev plays before he's hurt?

Love the guy and he's a warrior and solid player but I would be shocked if he's half the player he is right now come playoff time this year...........especially with the condensed schedule.
Last year he changed protective gear. Healthiest season of his career.

I agree it was a risk. One I wish we could’ve afforded. Add Schmidt to that group as the Stecher replacement and we’re looking much more solid.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Last year he changed protective gear. Healthiest season of his career.

I agree it was a risk. One I wish we could’ve afforded. Add Schmidt to that group as the Stecher replacement and we’re looking much more solid.

Well we definitely are missing him right now that's for sure. He would look awfully good in our line up right now..........like I said though even last year in the playoffs for us (the healthiest season of his career) you could see that he was worn down and not at all who he was during the season. I can't see that improving this season with teams often playing 4 games in 7 nights.

The Winnipeg game gives me hope we can figure things out.........tonight though was an absolute mess - I put that more on the lack of system organization then personnel though but we will see. Maybe that's just my optimism but it still seems like the team isn't quite organized and clear on their assignments and are kind of all over the place still. Tonight was ugly but like I said the Winnipeg game gives me hope that we can get there.

Reactions: 420Canuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's be clear here, Schmidt is a far better d-man than Tanev; and when healthy, Hamonic is a lot better than Stecher.

The problem is, Nik Lidstrom and Bobby Orr would look bad playing on this blueline right now. It isn't the personnel, it's the 'system' or lack of one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad