Player Discussion Nate Schmidt

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Winnipeg also has a tire fire defence. I'd say it;s even worse than ours. They are reliant on vezina caliber goaltending. I don;t know why people think they are a good team. They lost all their good defenders over the last few years. They are going nowhere.

We will make the playoffs if we are lucky and Demko is playing like prime Hasek.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Just saw a great interview with Nate Schmidt on Hockey Central. It really makes you appreciate how weird it is for the players on the road due to Covid, when they can't do the normal fun stuff that helps morale.

He sure is a fun interview. Spoke well of Hoglander and likes how Miller is very outspoken with his teammates.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Vegas has one of the most structured team defenses in the entire NHL. It's not surprising that Schmidt thrived in that system, where everybody does his job and the neutral zone turnover has all but been eliminated.

But with this Canucks tire-fire blueline, he's like a man on an island out there. Looks to me like he's trying to do his job, and somebody else's at the same time. He'll simply never be as effective a d-man in VanCity as he was in Vegas.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Vegas has one of the most structured team defenses in the entire NHL. It's not surprising that Schmidt thrived in that system, where everybody does his job and the neutral zone turnover has all but been eliminated.

But with this Canucks tire-fire blueline, he's like a man on an island out there. Looks to me like he's trying to do his job, and somebody else's at the same time. He'll simply never be as effective a d-man in VanCity as he was in Vegas.

Yep, and he looked great on the Trotz coached Capitals before that. The only silver lining is not trading a 1st, Hoglander/prospect ++ to take on 7 years of OEL at this point. But worried that we're going to need to move him with about 20% retained to a competitive team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yep, and he looked great on the Trotz coached Capitals before that. The only silver lining is not trading a 1st, Hoglander/prospect ++ to take on 7 years of OEL at this point. But worried that we're going to need to move him with about 20% retained to a competitive team.

Why move him when we can get a better coach with an actual system and a competant GM to surround him with better support?

Reactions: Josepho and bh53

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I want to reserve judgment, see what happens with a different coaching staff and game plan... but he seemingly does nothing well. Just extremely average, like a Tanner Pearson of Dmen. Kinda even lookalike...

Remember Garrison sucking to start, then thought he was our best dman for a long stretch.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why move him when we can get a better coach with an actual system and a competant GM to surround him with better support?
Well the guy who put the defensive system in place for Vegas--Gerrard Gallant--is still out there. But I suspect the Canucks helter-skelter system so ingrained now, it will take a coach like Gallant the rest of this season and probably early next to drill a defensive system into the Canucks. That's how long they've been playing fast and lose in their own zone.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well the guy who put the defensive system in place for Vegas--Gerrard Gallant--is still out there. But I suspect the Canucks helter-skelter system so ingrained now, it will take a coach like Gallant the rest of this season and probably early next to drill a defensive system into the Canucks. That's how long they've been playing fast and lose in their own zone.

That's probably true, which is also why I think the team should act now. This season is looks to be a gong show regardless, might as well use it to prepare for next year.

To be honest though, I think he's generally been okay. He's had a couple bad periods and can get out of position trying to do too much, but he's generally done a good job to break up plays and get the puck out. His regression numbers are actually stronger than last year so he's probably low on the list of what's going wrong with the team. Hes just not the level of high end defender who can escape the rest of the team dragging them down.

Reactions: Blue and Green

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
if there was a new coach or some kind of system then schmidts play could be better.
Totally agree. The systems Green coaches are clearly not the best for our group. Schmidt isn’t the only playing these systems are bad for.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Green-think:
-we are desperate for Right side D-men.
-we acquire a top 4 D-man who has been a top Right side D-man for 5 years in the league.
-I don't like Right side D-men who are left handed.
-I will convert a top 4 Right side D-man to a Left side D-man.
-Right side D problem solved.

...enter Fawning 5th Estate unable to pinpoint why Nucks currently suck.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Green-think:
-we are desperate for Right side D-men.
-we acquire a top 4 D-man who has been a top Right side D-man for 5 years in the league.
-I don't like Right side D-men who are left handed.
-I will convert a top 4 Right side D-man to a Left side D-man.
-Right side D problem solved.

...enter Fawning 5th Estate unable to pinpoint why Nucks currently suck.
You raise a very good point about Schmidt not being put into his best position to succeed. Seems like that’s a real problem with Green.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
You raise a very good point about Schmidt not being put into his best position to succeed. Seems like that’s a real problem with Green.

But I forgot something:
Let's play Benn, a career top 6-8 left handed D-man on the Right side with Hughes ( a potentially generational talent) because Benn played that side the year the Habs declined to resign him.

Green losing thread.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Because it won't be enough to be more than a bubble team, his age/contract does not match our core's next potential window.

Thanks to Benning's monumental cap effups.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Because it won't be enough to be more than a bubble team, his age/contract does not match our core's next potential window.

Thanks to Benning's monumental cap effups.

Even if we assume that, the post still makes no sense. If you're not a competitive team why are you retaining to move guys out? Just keep them if that's the case.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Even if we assume that, the post still makes no sense. If you're not a competitive team why are you retaining to move guys out? Just keep them if that's the case.

Ask @timw33 - it may have to do with Hughes and Petey coming off ELC's and needing the space, along with covid related salary constraints.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Cant believe Im saying this but Schmidt has been the most disappointing Canuck this year.
So was Edler in 2013-2014 under Torts.

Be very careful judging D in a garbage system, even more so when they are paired with bad defensive partners.

We saw the same with Hutton when paired with Gudbranson.

Reactions: TruKnyte

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Partially Schmidt hasn't been put in the best position, Partially he just hasn't played particularly great, and Partially the hype train took off a little early because he only cost a 3rd and was a huge upgrade on Tanev immediately

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Partially Schmidt hasn't been put in the best position, Partially he just hasn't played particularly great, and Partially the hype train took off a little early because he only cost a 3rd and was a huge upgrade on Tanev immediately
And mostly (maybe?) Schmidt isn’t an upgrade at all on Tanev? Imo Tanev looked a lot better, and still does, especially at his contract.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Nate Schmidt is a good player and I think he's been alright although he needs to cut down on the bad giveaways.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Not that it necessarily means anything, but Nate Schmidt is our highest +/- D, and tied for 2nd highest +/- of all our players.

And it's only +3, while most of our D are hovering around even.

Maybe someone can post some advanced stats. I think Schmidt is fine, a little pricey (but not a back breaker like Myers has become), and that he in particular would look far better on a team with a good system.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So was Edler in 2013-2014 under Torts.

Be very careful judging D in a garbage system, even more so when they are paired with bad defensive partners.

We saw the same with Hutton when paired with Gudbranson.

Oh Im not giving up on him.

But the thought, that maybe Vegas knew what they were giving away, has crossed my mind.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Easy now.

The words you are looking for are a decent replacement.

Which begs the question, why are we paying $1.5m per season to replace (and disrespect) a guy who bled blue and green for 10 effin years. A guy who partnered with Hughes beautifully.

jfc, what a clustefuk Benning is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad