Proposal: Nate McKinnon for Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The most recent season holds more value, but that doesn’t mean everything that came before it should be ignored.

As said before, I think Matthews’ offensive stats have been artificially suppressed. But maybe I’m wrong, and he really does deserve to be on he 2nd PP unit behind a guy like Tyler Bozak.
Absolutely. He'd get more points on virtually any other team. Look at his PP time and overall TOI.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Mackinnon has eclipsed what Matthews has done in the league thus far. Mack's value is higher because his actual ceiling is higher, based on what he's done, not on what he might do. Pointing to Matthews' rookie season is nice, but last season carries more weight.
Last year carries more weight. You mean Matthews second year in the league where he was over a point per game player. How many years did it take Mackinnon to accomplish that. Are we suppose to forget the fact that prior to this year Mackinnon was an average 50 point player. Who's to say he dosnt fall back to the norm of what his career has been so far. Why would the Leafs take that chance. It just dosnt make any sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
There's no real upside to this trade for either team. They're clearly both going to be amongst the league's greats for the better part of the next decade. All this would result in is 2nd guessing by the fan bases. The only reason to make a trade like this if both players need a change of scenery.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The most recent season holds more value, but that doesn’t mean everything that came before it should be ignored.

As said before, I think Matthews’ offensive stats have been artificially suppressed. But maybe I’m wrong, and he really does deserve to be on he 2nd PP unit behind a guy like Tyler Bozak.

If you think last season is what he will be for the duration of his contract, he’s one of he most valuable players in the NHL. Some people don’t share that optimism, and think he won’t be able to repeat that offensive level of production on a consistent basis.

On the opposite side, you don’t share the optimism others have about Matthews.

It’s fine to disagree.
I'm not ignoring Matthews' great rookie season and I'm not ignoring Mackinnon's great 2018 season. In fact, I don't see any lack of optimism about either player. I'm just assigning more value to one quality player over another quality player.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Because this thread is not based in realtity anyways, i pose this question to those who are saying Leafs fans are foolish for not doing this, lets say bith players are the same age...would Leafs fans have been foolish to say no after their rookie year? What about their second year?

All we as Leafs fans ever here is "you can't say player X is that type of player unless he does it consistenly"....what if MacK's last season was an anomoly?

This isn't me saying Matthews>MacK, just that there is context.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There's no real upside to this trade for either team. They're clearly both going to be amongst the league's greats for the better part of the next decade. All this would result in is 2nd guessing by the fan bases. The only reason to make a trade like this if both players need a change of scenery.
With the upcoming deals with Nylander and Marner, MacKinnon at 6.3 over the next 5 years would be huge. Forget who is the better player, Matthews will probably sign for almost double of what MacKinnon makes.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Its pretty clear given his contract MacKinnon is the higher valued asset. Would love to have either tho.

Absolutely.

And I think Matthews will end up having the better career and likely a better overall player. But I just don't see the gap being large enough to offset the fact that MacKinnon is capable of Hart trophy seasons at what will soon be 30, 40% less on the cap?

I'll put it this way: If there was no salary cap, I would take Matthews but it would be close. Due to a salary cap, I'll take MacKinnon and it's not close. If we have a salary cap and Matthews ends up taking, say, $8M for the next six years? I'll reconsider my pick. If he's pushing $9M or more? MacKinnon has just too valuable of a contract.

And I'd be making this argument too if we were comparing Taylor Hall to any other winger.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Their rookie seasons were comparable, 6 more points for Matthews but Mack was more dominant in the playoffs.

Sophomore seasons are another story though, AM had a much better one.

Both teams keep their guy.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
HF before last year: MacKinnon is a major disappointment. He's not #1 overall type player.

HF after last year: MacKinnon is the best U25 player in the league other than McDavid.

I loved MacKinnon before last year and still do. He was extremely underrated before last year and now he's getting the rating he deserves.

This is very tough, I think Matthews will end up having a better prime but MacKinnon's contract is amazing.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I mean, you're basically just demonstrating my point. MacKinnon has shown a considerably higher ceiling, and Leaf's fans only argument is that it took MacKinnon longer to get it to come together and it could be temporary.

After a bunch were doing the opposite, by trying to say Matthews would get better and MacKinnon's rise and shown higher ceiling demonstrated Matthews must have it too

Its just contradiction after contradiction, and its clearly just whatever twist on the current discussion let's you guys claim Matthews is better.
Matthews lead the league in ES goals in his rookie year, if not for injury had a good chance to do so again. He still has to develop dominance on the PP which should be expected, so his ceiling is to be the best goal scorer in the league.

When has Mac lead the league in an offensive category, let alone the hardest one in even strength goals?

And let's ignore that Matthews lead a bunch of rookies to the playoffs where Mac was the face of the worst season of the cap era NHL.

Reactions: shortfuze

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

Disagree, there is upside for both teams.
Matthews is the better player, but it looks like he's going to cost you 5m more per season than MacKinnon...that factors in huge.
Leafs get 5M in cap savings to go after Erik Karlsson.
Avs get the better player.

Leafs with Karlsson, Tavares, Nylander, Marner, Kadri would be cup contenders. Without that stud D they aren't.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
A lot of decency bias in here right now.

MacK has a great season but let’s not forget that Matthews scored as many gold in his first two seasons as MacK scored in his first four.

Too soon to say what MacK’s baseline is, but Matthew has been better when comparing each at the same point of their careers

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Love Matthews. That skill and still so young. He’s going to have a great career.

Love Mac. So fast and so skilled and so powerful. And that contract...

Damn Leaf and Avs fans are so fortunate.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
And let's ignore that Matthews lead a bunch of rookies to the playoffs where Mac was the face of the worst season of the cap era NHL.
Your insecurity is showing.

Matthews lead the league in ES goals in his rookie year, if not for injury had a good chance to do so again. He still has to develop dominance on the PP which should be expected, so his ceiling is to be the best goal scorer in the league.

When has Mac lead the league in an offensive category, let alone the hardest one in even strength goals?
And? Do you have anything else other than "look at his ES goal scoring"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad