Proposal: Nate McKinnon for Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
MacK will have the much more affordable contract. Only few years older. Cool. But...Matthews is a player that comes around once in a generation. You definitely take this deal if your the Avs.
Why would we? With Matthews next contract we would probably be able to fit two Mackinnons in there. Both teams says no simple as that.

Reactions: MacBradley

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I definitely do it if I'm Toronto (and I've done my research to know that Mac won't hold out or anything) due to both that contract and the fact that MacKinnon and Matthews will likely be separated by 10 points at most but both be 70+ point players every healthy season of their career. Getting five years of an elite first line centre at $6.3M is worth it to lose the younger player when that younger player won't be two steps better and has a contract coming up based on 2018-2019 salary cap.

I don't ever touch it if I'm Colorado. Matthews is approaching RFA, he has no emotional connection to Colorado since he wasn't drafted or developed there. He'd ask for a hefty raise. So you'd be paying a younger player more than you were paying the guy you had and it wouldn't be for a 20 point difference or Hart play vs. just a bunch of scoring.

I just don't see enough of a gap between players for it to be worth it for Colorado, even if you could guarantee that Matthews would outscore Mackinnon every season for the rest of their careers.
So the fact that Matthews walked into the league and pulled down everyone's pants by leading the league in ES goals as a rookie, scoring the hardest goals in the NHL doesn't mean anything?

And we have to ignore that Mac struggles after his rookie year while regaining his play this season. Who really has the highest ceiling? Oh to have a bit more cap space tho

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Who really has the highest ceiling?

I don't care who has the highest ceiling. My last sentence made that clear. I don't think anyone has a second floor compared to the other player, so when that's the case, it's about externals. If you want to argue this is Joe Sakic vs. Mike Modano be my guest. I think it's much closer than that, so I wouldn't risk losing the player who will have a much better contract for the next five years.

If what you did in your rookie season mattered, Joe Juneau would be in the HOF.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I don't care who has the highest ceiling. My last sentence made that clear. I don't think anyone has a second floor compared to the other player, so when that's the case, it's about externals. If you want to argue this is Joe Sakic vs. Mike Modano be my guest. I think it's much closer than that, so I wouldn't risk losing the player who will have a much better contract for the next five years.

If what you did in your rookie season mattered, Joe Juneau would be in the HOF.
Mac has establish a much lower floor than Matthews, that's why Matthews will get paid more, he's clearly earned it while Mac dropped the ball

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
This is a troll thread from a fan looking for bait. Anyone familiar with OP's post history knows what the purpose of stuff like this is.
I'll put my history up against yours a thousand times.

If the Leafs drafted Mac and the Avs drafted Matthews.... gee.... what would you be beating your chest over... I wonder... can anyone you has ever interacted with you solve this mind teaser???

Please posture something in a response post, please lie, it wouldn't be anything new from you

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs would be fools to say no, especially when factoring in contracts

I agree. Getting a number 1C (who could have won the Art Ross if he didn't get injured) at 6.3M would be a massive advantage to Toronto considering the contracts they will be handing out over the next couple of years. I don't think the Avs do this.

Reactions: yababy

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
MacK will have the much more affordable contract. Only few years older. Cool. But...Matthews is a player that comes around once in a generation. You definitely take this deal if your the Avs.
Once in a generation? That is a great joke. There’s been better seasons by younger players and then there is Connor Mcdavid!

Reactions: STLomacneko

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Avs laugh, hang up and block the number
Stupid comments like this make me laugh. Matthews has a better PPG and has scored more goals in a year and is good defensively. He’s also pretty damn good at even strength. It’s fine if you want mackinnon because he is cheaper but it also took him 5 years to go PPG in a season.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
To Colorado

Auston Matthews

To Leafs

Nate MacKinnon

no agenda, don't care if it happens, not invested, it's August let's have some fun.

Both teams do this.

Toronto gets cap savings
Colorado get the better player
Matthews gets closer to home

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Leafs add as Mackinnon the better Centre and better contract shortly. Mathews will be a great player but he needs to improve his play making skills as I believe him to be more of a finisher. I see Mathews being more like Stamkos and Mackinnon the better play maker. Just my opinion.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think MacKinnon is a better all around player... today. I see Matthews with a higher ceiling.

That MacKinnon contract is great but that's only a guaranteed 5 more years. Matthews would likely be your property for 9 years.

Tough call.

If TML take MacKinnon they could potentially go after Karlsson in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad