Nashville Predators Hockey Talk 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We're not really holding onto WC2 when we look at pt%. We're first team out right now when sorted that way to account for the 3 fewer games Hynes and the Wild have.

This team sits one point ahead of last season's addition after 36 games.

I usually dont look at points% in terms of standings because games in hand only matter if you win them. It is handy to keep in mind though if you are on the outside looking in knowing that if you take advantage of your games in hand you have control of your own destiny. Winning and losing streaks strike at any given time.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I usually dont look at points% in terms of standings because games in hand only matter if you win them. It is handy to keep in mind though if you are on the outside looking in knowing that if you take advantage of your games in hand you have control of your own destiny. Winning and losing streaks strike at any given time.
I look at both. Having just a couple more points while playing 3, 4, 5 more games creates that false sense of success. Right now we are in a standings dead heat with the Wild and Blues with both of those teams in position to tie or surpass the Preds at the 36 game point of the season. The Wild need 3 points in 3 games to catch us .. the Blues need to win their next game to do it. Right now only the Yotes are in a WC position.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Just read up on gegenpressing which is a philosophical style of play used in soccer. If Brunette is truly trying to implement gegenpressing philosophy into the Preds style of play, it could explain the let downs in the third and at the end of the game.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Just read up on gegenpressing which is a philosophical style of play used in soccer. If Brunette is truly trying to implement gegenpressing philosophy into the Preds style of play, it could explain the let downs in the third and at the end of the game.
Interesting

It seems that the Preds have had breakdowns in "Rest Defense" and with the speed of hockey this would, I think if I am reading this correctly, often lead to a quality odd man rush. I'm still processing this but it is very intriguing.

Reactions: ShagDaddy

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It's not easy to condition for that style of play and really needs the right type of players (both physically and mentally). If this is his vision then I would definitely expect a bit more turnover over the next few seasons.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
It's not easy to condition for that style of play and really needs the right type of players (both physically and mentally). If this is his vision then I would definitely expect a bit more turnover over the next few seasons.
After watching Wood play, it’ll be interesting to see how or where he fits. McCarron does ok and he’s big slow and lumbering.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Definitely. Hynes was all about transitioning the roster to bigger and more physical and we ended up with a pretty slow lineup. Not that there hasn't been a big overhaul already, but I'd expect an emphasis on speed and skill to re-emerge. The waiver wire pickups that flopped are another indication as well.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
It was nice to see a goalie actually stop pucks. Hopefully, Saros will get his shit together, otherwise it's going to be a very frustrating second half to the season.

This is an issue that Preds fans aren't really used to seeing, not since Mason was the starter anyway. There was some time where Pekka struggled and Jusse hadn't quite gotten up to NHL standards yet that the goalies cost the team games over the last 5-6 years but not like we've seen this season.

Has to be. Asky was essentially an emergency call up with Lankinen sick and we're clearly not a franchise that is going to carry three goalies on the roster.
I might have let Lankinen recover for another 3-4 days...

Reactions: Southstarpreds

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Askarov looked solid overall. A little adventurous when allowed to skate around and got beat glove side a couple times. Pretty solid positioning overall.

Hopefully, Saros took the day off to get into the right frame of mind. Wouldnt mind if Lankinen got the next start personally and let Saros continue to sit. 4 GAA over his last 5 games....

Reactions: SouthNash

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Tell me what stands out.

1704214390274.png

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tell me what stands out.

View attachment 794396
McD - Josi is a very efficient pair.

Lauzon's pairing is almost always negative in goal share. This could be heavily influenced by his usage. Him and Carrier are around 40% offensive zone%. Lauzon/Carrier is also our 2nd most competent d pairing in goal share that doesnt have Josi on it.

None of our current 3rd pairing combinations have been together on the ice long enough to make that list.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
McD - Josi is a very efficient pair.

Lauzon's pairing is almost always negative in goal share. This could be heavily influenced by his usage. Him and Carrier are around 40% offensive zone%. Lauzon/Carrier is also our 2nd most competent d pairing in goal share that doesnt have Josi on it.

None of our current 3rd pairing combinations have been together on the ice long enough to make that list.
You can’t use defensive zone starts as a usage measurement without being able to tell how many icings there were.

Reactions: glenngineer

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Perhaps this has been brought up and answered before, but why don't the Preds give Barrie a look at forward? He'd probably produce...maybe he doesn't want to do it? Seems like a better option than sitting in the press box

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Perhaps this has been brought up and answered before, but why don't the Preds give Barrie a look at forward? He'd probably produce...maybe he doesn't want to do it? Seems like a better option than sitting in the press box
We have enough real forwards that need playing time. Him sitting doesn't even register as a concern for the organization. We might just lose out on a 3rd or 4th rd pick which isn't a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad