Nashville Predators Hockey Talk 2023-2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean our whole "top-4" D of Josi-Schenn-McDonagh-Barrie sat out this stupid thing, so... Yeah... let's say that's it!!! :tmi:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
TBH we were playing much of no one vs some of their top line starters at least in the 2nd game. I said in the other thread from a team stand point I don't know that you can take much from it.
Only thing you can really do is how 1 player on the ice did in comparison to another player on the ice to try and gauge who makes it past the 1st round of cuts and who you want to take deeper look at

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
TBH we were playing much of no one vs some of their top line starters at least in the 2nd game. I said in the other thread from a team stand point I don't know that you can take much from it.
I don't even think it was that off in terms of mismatches... yes, they used their NHL players (split in two) and we sat... our best 6 guys... but the margin should be closer than "we got killed" even in that scenario... IMO. :dunno:

I definitely take nothing significant from this...

Aside from... why waste this time? We played our kids and guys who have No Chance in the Rookie Tournament already? Then we practiced them for 4 days or whatever with the big league guys. What is the point of this split-squad exhibition then? The pre-season is not that long, we don't have THAT many tune-up games. Just get on with things sooner? If guys are going back to junior or aren't even in the running, why play them at all in an NHL pre-season game if you only have like 4 or 5 games to build on? I get the kids are going to be pumped to have had 15 minutes of icetime here, yeah. Woot. But... don't we have a bigger picture to address? :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I don't even think it was that off in terms of mismatches... yes, they used their NHL players (split in two) and we sat... our best 6 guys... but the margin should be closer than "we got killed" even in that scenario... IMO. :dunno:

Aside from... why waste this time? We played our kids and guys who have No Chance in the Rookie Tournament already? Then we practiced them for 4 days or whatever with the big league guys. What is the point of this split-squad exhibition then? The pre-season is not that long, we don't have THAT many tune-up games. Just get on with things sooner? If guys are going back to junior or aren't even in the running, why play them at all in an NHL pre-season game if you only have like 4 or 5 games to build on? I get the kids are going to be pumped to have had 15 minutes of icetime here, yeah. Woot. But... don't we have a bigger picture to address? :dunno:
As far as the junior and ahl prospects go, i see it as a good time for the coaching staff to evaluate how they are progressing so they can give good feedback and constructive criticism. Then those players gain some real world experience and feedback as to what the coaches are expecting for them to reach the next level.

As far as the tweener AHL/NHL players, i dont really get it... if you are 28-32 staff knows what theyve got in you... so id rather start tuning up the sure NHLers.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I mean they had Tkchuck and Bennett at least playing, we had no one remotely close to that level on the ice so I don't see how you don't see a mismatch :laugh:

I also said in the other thread I thought these games were a complete waste of time, especially when the skill level is that slanted. At this point guys who have no chance of being in the NHL should have already been sent down and moved on from. This is NHL training camp/preseason, not development camp.

Pretty much every other team I've watch in preseason has had at least a couple of their big guys in the game, we haven't had a single one.

Reactions: SouthNash

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean they had Tkchuck and Bennett at least playing, we had no one remotely close to that level on the ice so I don't see how you don't see a mismatch :laugh:

I also said in the other thread I thought these games were a complete waste of time, especially when the skill level is that slanted. At this point guys who have no chance of being in the NHL should have already been sent down and moved on from. This is NHL training camp/preseason, not development camp.

Pretty much every other team I've watch in preseason has had at least a couple of their big guys in the game, we haven't had a single one.
Tkachuk was invisible. If you can't beat these incumbent guys who are taking it easy... it's a team game, it's not the mismatch you might think from reading a lineup on paper. Well, it shouldn't be. Except it was. So end of the day... yes, it's a "waste of time"... now that we lost horrifically. I get our planners might have hoped for more... and of course they scheduled all this stuff many months ago, so who knew what would happen when gameday arrived. But it does indeed feel like a big waste of time today.

There was a time the NHL pre-season was like 8 games... you could burn some of those. We have what, 4 left? I think in our situation, with such a new lineup and new coach, and a whole rookie tournament earlier to suss out the kids, it could have made sense to get on things sooner?

(minor nitpick)

Edgework

Jun 22, 2023
-Novak looked very sharp
-Tomasino looked good on the puck
-Cody Glass looked like a top 6 center
-Molendyk continues to impress
-Still think Fabbro is pretty good
-L’Heureax is not just a pest, he has some quickness to him that pops
-lots of guys I didn’t really notice. But then, I watched the first game on mute and the feed didn’t work long on the second.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
-Novak looked very sharp
-lots of guys I didn’t really notice. But then, I watched the first game on mute and the feed didn’t work long on the second.
It definitely became impossible in the 2nd half of Game 2 for me, just on the broadcast or my internet feed, whatever. But I agree with most of these.

Novak was sharp and generated offense... he needs to learn that he can't just chip pucks along the boards and jump past a guy in the NHL, that's not going to work, but he was still, with Tomasino, our best generator.

The Glass-Nyquist duo seemed like a "keeper" early to me, I didn't quite register Gurianov... the Dallas watcher in me sort of expects his raw physical talents to stand out in the pre-season, regardless... just I try to keep that in check with all the Stars games my kids ram down my throat where I'm conditioned to expect him to fail utterly to live up to his raw skill level when it comes to crunch time? :dunno:

I like the Molendyk pick. Our defense has been awful these 2 games IMO. Even the Stastney-Fabbro pair looked abysmal to me in Game1, and I usually love both of those players. Those 2 could at least skate with Florida, even while constantly not taking their man, but a lot of our other guys just couldn't keep up at all. We're sitting out our nominal Top 4D, ok. Livingstone and Stastney are at least ahead of the rest of the pack, I still think, even after these 2 debacle games. But blueline-in this system needs some work. It's impossible to even say anything though when you play 2 whole games and don't even use your top-4 planned D, right? :dunno:

I kept the 1st game on my 3rd monitor at work, sometimes watched, sometimes had to deal with other stuff. 2nd game I watched the first half more focused, and then lost the feed for most of the 2nd half. So I also acknowledge I am not even seeing these games "for real". I guess we should be thankful we even get this much? I don't mean to complain as much as it probably sounds like I am doing if you are just reading these posts. I am saying what I am seeing from my limited perspective, but I hope everybody knows I fully acknowledge the limitations and don't take any of it that seriously!

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
-Novak looked very sharp

Im on the other side of things. The main people that stood out to me were the ones that just didnt seem ready for NHL (Schaefer, Svechkov, C. Smith, Matier, etc.)

L'Heureux does look like he will be a complete pain in the arse to play against though. Livingstone and Stastney also look like they want to play in the NHL this season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I didn't see the first game, actually didnt know it was starting that early or I would have had it on at work, but in the second before the feed went to hell about the only ones that stood out to me really was L'Heaureax and Livingstone, everyone else pretty much just looked there, although someone like Trenin at least did have a chance on a breakaway.

For Porter, Gurianov is quick but that is all I saw, didn't do much really.

Reactions: glenngineer

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Looking over the TOI isnt probably very useful in this circumstance but Mutter getting 5 mins less TOI than the next lowest player likely isnt a good sign for him. Lauzon also had the least time on ice of all the dmen in game 2 (~1.5 mins less than Molendyk).

Edgework

Jun 22, 2023
Kemell looked dynamic too, forgot about him. He is raw, needs some time in the ahl imo. But I would not be shocked if he’s in Nashville by the trade deadline.

We all know he has that shot, but he’s really quick too.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
From what I saw and, of course, that was limited but nobody looked very good. It was truly meaningless. I hope the staff has good tapes to study because it looked so disjointed. Time to cut, cut, cut; way too many players to be able to teach a new system and work, work, work. We were correct; it is going to be a tough year. Time to begin to see some of the big boys.

Reactions: SouthNash

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
From the Preds website.

Head Coach Andrew Brunette on his assessment of both games:

“It was good to get my eyes on a lot of different players. I’m still kind of familiarizing myself with everyone. These are tough games to to really get too worked up about, but I think I looked at it more as a learning experience. We got some good things on film, and I thought we did some good things at different parts of both games. I really liked our second game, besides about 10 minutes where we stopped playing a little bit. I think it was good; there’s a lot of good here.”

Brunette on how the players are adjusting to his fast-paced system:

“It’s a little bit uncomfortable. They're not used to doing some things a little differently. I'm asking them to do a lot of things that they are not used to. I asked him to play at a different pace. So I think it is a little uncomfortable for them, and it's going to take some time to get used to… We’re five days into camp, and this was a great day for us, meaning I got to see everybody. As a coaching staff, we’re going to put some pretty good video together, see how we can improve and some of the things we did well and build on it and be ready for Wednesday.”

Reactions: Soundgarden

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Just for comparisons sake we went 3-1 in the preseason last year including a 4-0 win over the Panthers and a 7-1 win over the Lightning. Performing well in the preseason didn’t help us at all just like I think performing poorly in these games doesn’t mean anything really.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Uh he saw most of these guys in development camp, if he didn't I'm wondering what he was doing. o_O
Big difference in rookie showcase facing a bunch of other rookies while being coached by Milwaukee's Head Coach vs a game vs the Panthers mixed squad that had some of their top talent playing and being behind the bench coaching.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Big difference in rookie showcase facing a bunch of other rookies while being coached by Milwaukee's Head Coach vs a game vs the Panthers mixed squad that had some of their top talent playing and being behind the bench coaching.
There is definitely a huge difference watching from the stands rather than standing behind the bench.

Reactions: triggrman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad