Rumor: Nash Submits No Trade List

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
When are we going to stop looking at players as simply computerized automatons and not human beings?

We all complain when players don't show the same loyalty to our teams as we do. When one does, how can we complain?

I've made this point over and over: players are no different than you or I. Yes, they are supremely gifted athletically (the same way some of us might be gifted in other ways), but they are subject to the same emotions as we are. Each reacts according to his personality. In the end, money makes no difference.

Yes, his is a glamorous life that we all fantasize about: money, youth (he might be old in terms of hockey but not in terms of real life), acclaim, etc. But many are, just as we are, focused on their families. Many are not out chasing attractive women. The Rangers seem to have the share of family-oriented players. Many have young children. Those of us who have been parents (and in my case, a grandfather also), know the pull of family.

I don't know about you but when I heard Nash talk about how his 3-year old son sings the Ranger goal song whenever we score, I was touched to the core. As a fan, how can you not love that?

Yes, Nash is rich (at least compared to almost all, if not really all, of us). Yes, he is a player in decline. But he also seems very much a blue-collar worker who gives his all, cares about his team and teammates, and loves NYC.

Those traits should be applauded and not abased. Money doesn't define everything.

Nash was baring his soul to us. How often do we moan and groan when players give interviews and answer questions with stock answers that make us shake our heads? Nash is a special person. Yes, his last years with us have been disappointing, but I have nothing but admiration for the guy. That admiration comes not only for how he has handled his declining skills while still contributing, from his work ethic and blue-collar attitude, from his leadership and mentoring young players, but also from his allowing us to see his inner self.

We all love the Rangers and take pride in being fans. How can we castigate a player for being proud to play for our team and not want to leave?
I for one like his effort and yeah t seems like he cares but.......I root for the sweater not the person. Good riddance and bring me back someone who can produce points. If he loves it here so much, go to Winnipeg play a couple of months, then come back and resign in the offseason to be our third line winger for 3.5 million

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The Bobfather said Toronto might be on Nash's approval list. I don't see a trade working with them.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
He can tell his son that he doesn't have to like the team that his dad plays for the best. Certainly happens in sports. If his son wants to keep rooting for the Rangers, then let him. Or if Nash really cares about it that much, then resign with the Rangers on the cheap next season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He can tell his son that he doesn't have to like the team that his dad plays for the best. Certainly happens in sports. If his son wants to keep rooting for the Rangers, then let him. Or if Nash really cares about it that much, then resign with the Rangers on the cheap next season.
This is all true but beside the point. The point is he said his son will be disappointed and someone, for some bizarre reason, felt that was something that needed to be criticized.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This is a really stupid post. He's not starting a GoFundMe and begging for your sympathy. He's having a human reaction to a significant change in his life, and you're taking issue with that?

Actually not stupid so much as insensitive and not all that dissimilar to what's been said about other players when they were moved or left--such as Girardi who must have blocked 10,000 shots for us and that worked well with Tortorella's system (remember that?--Torts wanted everybody blocking shots) but not so much for AV's. RB's remark is something that pretty much 95% of the posters on this board have said about some or multiple players before.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The lack of empathy is kind of a testament of the times we live in...pretty pathetic honestly.

I feel bad for Nash. Money aside he rarely took a night off and was an effective player even when he wasn't scoring..developed a well rounded game. Played in all situations and I'm pretty sure he led the team in scoring during his tenure here.

Did he have the career we were hoping for? No. But he was a huge reason we were a high level team his entire tenure here.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
We all seem to forget what these guys do off the ice too, for charities, social work, and fundraising in the name of the organization. I'll get on players for what they do on the ice, but I never get personal.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Actually not stupid so much as insensitive and not all that dissimilar to what's been said about other players when they were moved or left--such as Girardi who must have blocked 10,000 shots for us and that worked well with Tortorella's system (remember that?--Torts wanted everybody blocking shots) but not so much for AV's. RB's remark is something that pretty much 95% of the posters on this board have said about some or multiple players before.
I stand by stupid. And yes, if people made comments suggesting that Girardi wasn't entitled to feel emotions because he gets paid a lot of money, it was stupid then too.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Nice to see a heartfelt honest answer from Rick. A 3 year old knows enough to love his daddy's team and the team colors, who are of course the 'good guys', but not enough to grasp that switching to the 'bad guys', who his daddy played against, is just a part of the business.

In today's day and age where everyone has a social media soap box, no matter what someone says, there will be someone somewhere who is offended or upset and will jump to clap back on Twitter or Pinstagram. It was always like this, but now we are lucky enough that every moron and dip stick out there has a means to spew their junk for everyone to hear.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I stand by stupid. And yes, if people made comments suggesting that Girardi wasn't entitled to feel emotions because he gets paid a lot of money, it was stupid then too.

IMO it was an unnecessary thing for RB to say. Nash was a disappointment for him--he was a disappointment for me. That said he worked hard--he tried which is where Girardi was the last few years too and Dan got clobbered by posters on this site worse though I didn't really feel sorry for Dan--he found a new home like I suspected he would. Nash will too. They'll both continue to be well remunerated for doing a thing they love to do--so while this will certainly be a hiccup in Rick Nash's road it could be a lot worse.

One other thing--I have no idea which 12 teams Nash will accept a trade to but unless he was a real dork about it---it's almost certainly going to be a playoff team and he might actually have a chance to win the Cup this year if he goes to the right team. Sometimes you have no choice but to embrace change.

Reactions: Samuel Culper III

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Dreger basically said what i said, he wouldnt he suprised if Nash loaded up teams he would accept a trade to with teams that wouldnt even be able to afford him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Dreger basically said what i said, he wouldnt he suprised if Nash loaded up teams he would accept a trade to with teams that wouldnt even be able to afford him.

Nash himself said that he wants to go to a team with a chance to win.

If he wants to be here beyond this season, he isn't going to piss off his employer by doing that. Hes smarter than that.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Nash himself said that he wants to go to a team with a chance to win.

If he wants to be here beyond this season, he isn't going to piss off his employer by doing that. Hes smarter than that.
Randy Levine doesn't work for the Rangers. No one is going to be pissed off if he uses the leverage available to him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Plus he is playing for his next contract, he is not going to submarine himself by limiting the trade to places where he is not going to get a chance to showcase himself.

Reactions: romba

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
When are we going to stop looking at players as simply computerized automatons and not human beings?

We all complain when players don't show the same loyalty to our teams as we do. When one does, how can we complain?

I've made this point over and over: players are no different than you or I. Yes, they are supremely gifted athletically (the same way some of us might be gifted in other ways), but they are subject to the same emotions as we are. Each reacts according to his personality. In the end, money makes no difference.

Yes, his is a glamorous life that we all fantasize about: money, youth (he might be old in terms of hockey but not in terms of real life), acclaim, etc. But many are, just as we are, focused on their families. Many are not out chasing attractive women. The Rangers seem to have the share of family-oriented players. Many have young children. Those of us who have been parents (and in my case, a grandfather also), know the pull of family.

I don't know about you but when I heard Nash talk about how his 3-year old son sings the Ranger goal song whenever we score, I was touched to the core. As a fan, how can you not love that?

Yes, Nash is rich (at least compared to almost all, if not really all, of us). Yes, he is a player in decline. But he also seems very much a blue-collar worker who gives his all, cares about his team and teammates, and loves NYC.

Those traits should be applauded and not abased. Money doesn't define everything.

Nash was baring his soul to us. How often do we moan and groan when players give interviews and answer questions with stock answers that make us shake our heads? Nash is a special person. Yes, his last years with us have been disappointing, but I have nothing but admiration for the guy. That admiration comes not only for how he has handled his declining skills while still contributing, from his work ethic and blue-collar attitude, from his leadership and mentoring young players, but also from his allowing us to see his inner self.

We all love the Rangers and take pride in being fans. How can we castigate a player for being proud to play for our team and not want to leave?

Having just taken the plunge and signed up, although, having been literally reading these boards for years prior, that's one of the best posts I've read.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bob McKenzie, on TSN 1040, said that he expects that the Rangers will want a return for Rick Nash that is at least comparable to what Minnesota gave up to acquire Martin Hanzal last year.

McKenzie said that the Rangers are going to want to make sure that they get "at least a first round pick, maybe a second round pick or a prospect on top of that. Maybe even a third element, another pick or lower end player. They will be looking for at least what Arizona got for Martin Hanzal." (TSN 1040)

Hanzal, along with Ryan White and a 2017 4th round pick, was traded from Arizona to Minnesota last year for a package including a 2017 first round pick, 2018 second round pick, a 2019 conditional 4th rounder and minor leaguer Grayson Downing.

McKenzie notes that the following teams, Winnipeg, St. Louis, Anaheim, Boston, Calgary, LA and San Jose are all reportedly looking for a scoring winger.

Nash has submitted a list of at least 12 teams that he would accept a trade to.
Darren Dreger noted on TSN 1050 this morning that Nash's list could have been done strategically to include teams up against the cap that might not actually be able to acquire him or non-playoff teams.
Dreger said that because of that, Nash's actual list may only be 5 or 6 teams. (TSN 1050)

Pierre LeBrun noted on Monday that he thinks the Rangers will eat some money to facilitate a trade of Nash. (TSN 1290)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad