Narrative Analysis: Leafs D sucks & goalie saves them

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Gramps here. Born at Western hospital and raised downtown. played for Marlboros as a kid. never made it to the show. played in Indi in minors and married a girl there. Moved to Mimico and bought a small house on same street as Rose and Don. Coached Shanny and one of my sons at Faustina. I had great size and strength but not enough wheels to make show. Lets hope Babs can figure things out defensively and Dubie can make a deal to help us out on backend. Go Leafs Go!
I respect your viewpoints and am glad to hear about your life from time to time even if I don't see your view 100%.

In the end we're all Leaf fans and want the best for the club in our viewpoint.

I don't think our defense is as far off as some people think but I do agree it needs improvement. When that's the only complaint I have about this team, I try to take a step back and enjoy the awesome team we currently have.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I have a feeling Babcock is clashing with Dubas and wants to add a vet RHD
Babcocks not worryed about his job so hes not clashing with anyone. Chuckles even he knows to get someone good you trade something good. I have a feeling that we all have feelings and we all just want to say i told yah so I should be a GM. Of an NHL Franchise #Be A GM NHL19. Add all the RHDs you like.

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Another classic zeke thread where he cherry-picks stats in order to prove to the world that the Leafs are just THAT much better than they actually are.

When the Leafs are terrible - "Nono, they're actually average..." (insert cherry picked stats)
When the Leafs are average - "Nono, they're actually good..." (insert cherry picked stats)
When the Leafs are good - "Nono, they're actually elite..." (insert cherry picked stats)

Can only imagine the story we'll hear when we actually win a playoff round.
Thats not true check how much Zeke hated the leafs under Burke when we where all trying to be hopfull for a 8th place finish and he said nope they are pretenders and make crap look good. I think he just sticks to his guns. Has solid opinions of a sport we all like. Some people get blinders and take it personal that sucks you guys lose sleep.

Reactions: Menzinger

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Thats not true check how much Zeke hated the leafs under Burke when we where all trying to be hopfull for a 8th place finish and he said nope they are pretenders and make crap look good. I think he just sticks to his guns. Has solid opinions of a sport we all like. Some people get blinders and take it personal that sucks you guys lose sleep.

Actually he was constantly making threads in the Burke era just like this one showing how the Leafs were a playoff team, and then would disappear when the season would slip away.

And if you were actually there, you would know he bet the Leafs would be a playoff team against the Bruins posters (we know how that turned out) and had to wear an avatar with a sheep on it for at least one year. He may have had it two years in a row because he probably kept finding more stats which "proved" the Leafs were a playoff team.

But you wouldn't know this...you just joined two years ago.

Zeke is the longest running shtick in this place but at the very least it's fairly entertaining.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Leafs are lucky to have found another backup goalie who can carry the team to wins at a better rate than Freddy. either that or the team is actually good

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs are lucky to have found another backup goalie who can carry the team to wins at a better rate than Freddy. either that or the team is actually good

Leafs are trash. They haven’t won a playoff series in forever. That is highly relevant information because we have so many of the same players from 15 years ago.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Actually he was constantly making threads in the Burke era just like this one showing how the Leafs were a playoff team, and then would disappear when the season would slip away.

And if you were actually there, you would know he bet the Leafs would be a playoff team against the Bruins posters (we know how that turned out) and had to wear an avatar with a sheep on it for at least one year. He may have had it two years in a row because he probably kept finding more stats which "proved" the Leafs were a playoff team.

But you wouldn't know this...you just joined two years ago.

Zeke is the longest running shtick in this place but at the very least it's fairly entertaining.

actually the shtick was that the biggest weakness on all those jfj/Burke team's was league worst goaltending.

a shtick which was proven right by the leafs making the playoffs the first time they got above average goaltending in all those years (reimer/scrivens '13).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's a great narrative for the media to push. It always gives them something to talk about and speculate about.

I don't want the leafs to make a big trade for a D, although I would like a smaller trade to sure things up a little more back there. Overall not desperate for help

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
actually the shtick was that the biggest weakness on all those jfj/Burke team's was league worst goaltending.

a shtick which was proven right by the leafs making the playoffs the first time they got above average goaltending in all those years (reimer/scrivens '13).

So.... the next year.... they got similar above average goaltending performance (10th overall in save percentage) and missed.

What happened there? Did you predict they’d miss the playoffs that season?

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

I don’t doubt zeke has opinions.

When it comes to stats though, it’s a bit of a con job.

Either that or he doesn’t really understand what he’s reading. Ask him about Corsi’s reliability in predicting wins.

I could go either way on that. Sometimes he misleads, misquotes, makes things up and pivots (gets personal) when exposed. Other times, it has to be ignorance.

Just take his numbers with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Either that or he doesn’t really understand what he’s reading.

I could go either way on that though suspect the latter. Ask him about Corsi’s reliability in predicting wins.

Careful in that glass House of yours

Reactions: lurkerrr

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Careful in that glass House of yours

Mine is insulated pretty well against misquotes and what people claim I say.

I’ve been married for 23 years... I’m quite capable and proficient at admitting actual mistakes.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So.... the next year.... they got similar above average goaltending performance (10th overall in save percentage) and missed.

What happened there? Did you predict they’d miss the playoffs that season?

you're talking about the infamous Nonis Off-season of 2013, when he followed up the first playoff season in a decade by going all in on David Clarkson and Dave Bolland, and replacing the goalie that got them to the playoffs?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Either that or he doesn’t really understand what he’s reading. Ask him about Corsi’s reliability in predicting wins.

I could go either way on that. Sometimes he misleads, misquotes, makes things up and pivots (gets personal) when exposed. Other times, it has to be ignorance.

then make sure to ask our pookie what the actual standard of reliability is for a single stat in a team sport - A single stat which deliberately ignores over half of what contributes to winning and losing hockey games (special teams, goaltending, shooting luck).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
you're talking about the infamous Nonis Off-season of 2013, when he followed up the first playoff season in a decade by going all in on David Clarkson and Dave Bolland, and replacing the goalie that got them to the playoffs?

Right. And shipped out Komisarek. Fraser. Liles.

Core stayed. Still has Kessel. Bozak. Etc. Goaltending was above average.

Curious as to what you based your theory on that year. Not what you retroactively decided happened.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
then make sure to ask our pookie what the actual standard of reliability is for a single stat in a team sport - A single stat which deliberately ignores over half of what contributes to winning and losing hockey games (special teams, goaltending, shooting luck).

Which stat is that?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Right. And shipped out Komisarek. Fraser. Liles.

Core stayed. Still has Kessel. Bozak. Etc. Goaltending was above average.

Curious as to what you based your theory on that year. Not what you retroactively decided happened.
Komisarek was demoted in 12-13 and Fraser wasn't dumped until later in the following season. Real shame how they handled Liles that year too force-feeding Ranger those minutes.

Grabo to an often injured Bolland was a big blow. Really killed the depth.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Komisarek was demoted in 12-13 and Fraser wasn't dumped until later in the following season. Real shame how they handled Liles that year too force-feeding Ranger those minutes.

Grabo to an often injured Bolland was a big blow. Really killed the depth.

Yep. All those things happened.

As did a full schedule vs a 48 gamer. Bolland injury vs a Lupul injury (when he was decent). Things happen in a season.

We should stay focused, if zeke was “proven right”..... which is I suppose is ground breaking in that he’s actually suggesting an ability to predict the future.... the proof of Clairvoyance..... right here, walking amongst us mortals.... what did he predict about the following season?

Seems there is an intense desire to be proven right. Or prove others wrong.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yep. All those things happened.

As did a full schedule vs a 48 gamer. Bolland injury vs a Lupul injury (when he was decent). Things happen in a season.

We should stay focused, if zeke was “proven right”..... which is I suppose is ground breaking in that he’s actually suggesting an ability to predict the future.... the proof of Clairvoyance..... right here, walking amongst us mortals.... what did he predict about the following season?

Seems there is an intense desire to be proven right. Or prove others wrong.
Could care less about being proven right, but I do find it hilarious you're now stuck on debates from a time when you weren't even actively posting to try and "get" someone who often disagrees with you. A guy who usually posts exactly why he disagrees and the reason for it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This season is Leafs best chance to hoist a Cup, so I suspect Dubas is busy planning for a TD defense addition.

You are correct.

Dubas has indicated that they believe they can get better at moving the puck in their own zone and will be looking to improve.

He must not have seen zeke’s shots vs GAA analysis.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Could care less about being proven right, but I do find it hilarious you're now stuck on debates from a time when you weren't even actively posting to try and "get" someone who often disagrees with you. A guy who usually posts exactly why he disagrees and the reason for it.

Here’s a simple question that won’t ever be answered. Why wouldn’t he want to use Scoring Chances in this analysis?

It is more statistically reliable.

Another one, why won’t he answer it until I bow to him?

Recall in this thread he (falsely) claimed I never embraced shot quality metrics.... a simple forum search will return 3 pages of posts by me talking about the value of shot quality over Corsi dating back to 2016.. and now requires my kissing of the ring on false accusations in order to grace us with his reply?

You find it hilarious. I think exposing Con Jobs and Bullying for what it is is equally amusing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You are correct.

Dubas has indicated that they believe they can get better at moving the puck in their own zone and will be looking to improve.

He must not have seen zeke’s shots vs GAA analysis.

Hainsey is drawing towards the end of his career and a pending UFA, Gardiner is a also a pending UFA with no cap room to resign and Leafs would likely love/need to move Zaitsev in trade to get rid of his cap hit going forward.

Leafs defense is middle of the pack now and trending towards rebuild next year..

Hopefully the plan is accelerated for his years playoffs and Leafs strike when the Cup chances will be at their greatest.

Reactions: Pookie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4