Name Thread v3.0 - Trademark Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
I hate the forcing of the Knights name. If he wanted the name so badly, it makes me wonder how much London wanted for the trademark on the team name for it to not be worth it.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I hate the forcing of the Knights name. If he wanted the name so badly, it makes me wonder how much London wanted for the trademark on the team name for it to not be worth it.

He apparently never contacted London about using just "Knights"

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
To be honest if it were up to me I'd just go Black Knights and be done with it. Foley claims there was lots of fan pushback on that one but I don't think he's in tune with what people didn't like about it if his next options were also two word Knight names that are (in my opinion) worse.

At least a Black Knight is a bad ass figure.

Seriously. If his excuse is that he didn't want to go against the military's wishes, fine. That's reason enough to not use Black Knights. But he's also mentioned the fan pushback... HEY FOLEY! If you have to have a dumb modifier, I think we all much prefer Black Knights over Golden/Desert/Silver. Don't use us as a scapegoat for your bad name and go pick a worse name.

He's said to not like Knights as a name unmodified. He has terrible taste.

That said, thank you Foley for bringing a team to Vegas.... I mean Las Vegas.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Even you almost dropped the Spanish grammar.;)

Call them "___ Vegas _____ Knights" all you want.

"Vegas Knights" they will be widely known as! :)

It's not grammar, it's the city's name. Translate it to English, we're "The Meadows" not just "Meadows."

Heck, if we're willing to change the city name we should unpluralize it and just call it Vega. Vega sounds cooler anyways.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It's not grammar, it's the city's name. Translate it to English, we're "The Meadows" not just "Meadows."

Heck, if we're willing to change the city name we should unpluralize it and just call it Vega. Vega sounds cooler anyways.

Archangel Michael would approve. :laugh:

NUP-163087-0613.jpg

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Seriously. If his excuse is that he didn't want to go against the military's wishes, fine. That's reason enough to not use Black Knights. But he's also mentioned the fan pushback... HEY FOLEY! If you have to have a dumb modifier, I think we all much prefer Black Knights over Golden/Desert/Silver. Don't use us as a scapegoat for your bad name and go pick a worse name.

He's said to not like Knights as a name unmodified. He has terrible taste.

That said, thank you Foley for bringing a team to Vegas.... I mean Las Vegas.

Honestly I don't think he gives a rat's ass about fan pushback and just said that for PR purposes.

The worst part about his bad taste is in a recent interview he seems to not like the idea of a four word team name and thinks Vegas alone could be a good idea. **** no to the second part but... WHOSE FAULT IS IT THAT THERE'S GONNA BE A FOUR WORD NAME BILL? Who is the one insisting on a two word Knights name?

Even you almost dropped the Spanish grammar.;)

Call them "___ Vegas _____ Knights" all you want.

"Vegas Knights" they will be widely known as! :)

Sure, in casual conversation.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
One problem I have with the adjective Knights comes from the potential for chants, I know most will just call them Knights anyway but I'm just imagining a very wordy "Let's go Desert Knights" in my head. It just makes sense to not have an adjective in front of a name, I mean it's not the Pittsburgh Ice Penguins.

I'll get used to it being Desert Knights or whatever he choses, but the insistence on Knights just makes me perturbed I guess.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I made teams for Golden Knights and Desert Knights in NHL 17. I went full sarcasm mode with Golden's alternate jersey and Desert's entire set.

I'll share later when I'm not feeling lazy about it.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Well you guys may be new to HF, but you're like old HF pros when it comes to *****ing and moaning. :thumbu:

:sarcasm: ;)

(from a longtime hockey fan, I think Desert Knights is cool)

dashripdot

Jul 18, 2010
One problem I have with the adjective Knights comes from the potential for chants, I know most will just call them Knights anyway but I'm just imagining a very wordy "Let's go Desert Knights" in my head. It just makes sense to not have an adjective in front of a name, I mean it's not the Pittsburgh Ice Penguins.

I'll get used to it being Desert Knights or whatever he choses, but the insistence on Knights just makes me perturbed I guess.

Their chant is "Let's go Pens" not "Let's go Penguins," so "Knights" would work just fine in the chanting department. If chanting is what Foley is basing his decision on.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don't forget Clark County, they're going to want their proper respects. :laugh:

The only thing I have yet to see between the main boards and here is the.....

Las Vegas Knight Riders

W/ "The Hoff" as mascot and honorary coach. The show's theme music for penalties. KITT doing the PA........

knight-rider4.jpg

(Please stop me......... I'm losing it!!!!). :damnpc:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Heck, if we're willing to change the city name we should unpluralize it and just call it Vega.
Thta's not how Spanish works. :shakehead

It's "Vegas" in English for most English speakers.

(Go and rage against the change of "doughnut".)

It will be "Go Vegas Knights!":yo:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Vega is meadow, Vegas is meadows.

Either way, the point was you don't get to just change the city's name because you want to.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I can't wait for years from now when we are laughing about how much time was spent talking about the name of this team. It's bad enough it's taking so long to learn the name of the team, but apparently we can't even agree on the name of the city!

In my opinion, the name of the city of Las Vegas is Las Vegas.

Drift

Jan 9, 2012
Silver State Knights :). A take on the Golden State Warriors.

Really though is there any other team in professional sports that doesn't use the state or city name?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Silver State Knights :). A take on the Golden State Warriors.

Really though is there any other team in professional sports that doesn't use the state or city name?

The Patriots.

It's one of those things that just doesn't make a lot of sense in this case though. Las Vegas is a great brand, one of the strongest brands in the world. It's not Coca Cola, but it's close.

You want to be Las Vegas to sell merchandise and have recognition. I guess Vegas works too, but it makes very little marketing sense to use Nevada or Silver State. You'd essentially trade the world to pick up a few fans in Reno.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Starting to look like November for the announcement.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/nhl-vegas/announcement-name-las-vegas-nhl-team-delayed-again

“We had a webinar (Thursday) with adidas and the NHL and we’re still tweaking the logo and the use of the colors,†Foley said. “It probably means we’re going to have to push back the big announcement because it’s going to take time to get everything printed on the shirts and hats. The jerseys will take a little longer to produce.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad