Name Thread v3.0 - Trademark Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Golden Knights is the name of the Army's elite parachuting team...
I dunno if the red rock color looks so hot with gold.

photo.jpg

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Spent way too long on the create a team mode but I'm finally done.

In case it's not obvious this is the Silver Knights

Sorry for the image size. Too lazy to edit.
Home/Away
GclmrRL.jpg

YlelVLp.jpg

Alternate
yWJlZ8U.jpg

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Unless you consider the NFLs raiders are sniffing at Vegas and are known as the 'Silver and Black' with the origin of that color scheme since 1963 and one of the larger fanbases in the NFL in fans and culture. IMO, that would be a risky move by the team and the league and the Silver Knights would get swallowed up in an identity crisis, if the NFL moves into town.

Not necessarily. The Kings and Lakers shared color schemes...ditto the Kings and the Raiders for a time.

Or you go like Pittsburgh and all the pro teams share the same color scheme.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This Vegas vs Las Vegas thing is driving me nuts.

Am I just sold old cranky dude, or is referring to the city as Vegas in the team name just so amateur?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm 27 and agree with you.

Apparently we're in the minority. Vegas killed in that twitter poll with Sinbin. Though that asked how you refer to the city and not what you'd want the team to be named.

It just seems like such a mistake to go with just Vegas, professionally, marketing-wise, and especially with the branding.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
In fairness, the poll asked how do you refer to Las Vegas in every day conversation and I personally use both.

If it's hot out "God I hate how hot Vegas gets"
Dumb drivers "Damn Vegas drivers need to get their heads out of their *****"

But if someone asks me where I live "oh I live in Las Vegas" or where is the final presidential debate this year "It's in Las Vegas at UNLV" or who's the 31st hockey team? "the Las Vegas something Knights"

In an official capacity there's no question that Vegas is Las Vegas with no exception. On the other hand Sin Bin seems to be advocating naming the team Vegas _____ Knights in an official capacity.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Spent way too long on the create a team mode but I'm finally done.

In case it's not obvious this is the Silver Knights

Sorry for the image size. Too lazy to edit.
Home/Away
GclmrRL.jpg

YlelVLp.jpg

Alternate
yWJlZ8U.jpg

Dig the logos but not the color schemes. Red yellow and grey is bleh. Not to ape the Kings but black and silver works well. I own a black and silver Devils jersey and a black and silver Devils hat.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...ights-he-s-not-saying-what-kind-knights-they#!

You can stop suggesting names for Bill Foley to call his Las Vegas NHL expansion team. He has his name.

But you’ll have to wait until mid- to late October to find out exactly what it is.
Foley remains committed to having a big announcement party at T-Mobile Arena. But with so few open dates for the building next month, Foley’s options are limited. So he has chosen to wait.

He said the color scheme is also set and the final logos were being made by adidas, which has worked with Foley and his staff along with the NHL for the past few months on the design and colors.

The plan is for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman to attend the big announcement assuming his schedule permits it.
Foley said while the wait has cost the team millions of dollars in sales, he believes they can make up a good percentage of it once the team is announced and that shirts, hats and, most important, jerseys become available for sale.

So, I guess he's hoping that the anticipation increases pent up demand for the merchandise.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Back when we knew the name would be Jets and were in our own "what will the logo look like" phase, someone posted a design of a Jet on a maple leaf that was very similar to the actual design. We knew that True North had gotten in touch with the designer, so that in itself was an indicator they might be going in that direction.

So Sparky, has the team been in touch with you about any of your logo designs? ;)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Wouldn't buy any merch if those were the colors

I mean...I probably would but I wouldn't be as satisfied.

Again, the colors are pretty hard to replicate in NHL's create a team. It was just my first attempt with a tool that actually let's me design something. I'm not even close to Sparky's talent at graphic design.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Maybe I'll get my season ticket email by the time they announce the name....

You've got a quarter/half season deposit down, right?

I'm guessing they'll have the full season folks committed to actual seats and then open the quarter/half process for the seats that remain.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Outsider perspective:

If the team is known as "Desert Knights", 90% of the time that'll be shortened to "Knights" in headlines and quick references to the team (i.e., Sportscenter and the like). Don't worry about it.

Worry more about the logo.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Love those guys, but isn't their main connection that the lasvegasdesertknights.com website is connected to the team? The other options with the lv instead of lasvegas are still in play, aren't they?

On the podcast their reasoning was that Foley "never liked Silver Knights"

And technically Ken, like me was wrong about the three trademark names unless Foley lied to Brian Blessing's face.
Outsider perspective:

If the team is known as "Desert Knights", 90% of the time that'll be shortened to "Knights" in headlines and quick references to the team (i.e., Sportscenter and the like). Don't worry about it.

Worry more about the logo.

Well yes that was gonna happen anyway. But it would be a lot easier to stomach Silver Knights. Golden Knights a little less so cause it just gives the Knight a decadent and opulent nature that I don't like, even though I know it's a military reference. However the military reference makes it palatable.

Desert Knights is just bad. I've never heard a more clunky and redundant name modifier in any pro sports team's name. And I was a fan of the Mighty Ducks. But at least with them the Mighty was supposed to be this juxtaposing term. Like no one thinks of a Duck as a symbol of strength or danger. But put a Mighty in front and hey it's like, take these Ducks seriously cause they fly together and they're not gonna take no ****!

What does Desert Knights say, "uhhh hey guys! We're the new team...uhhh we're the Knights...cause our owner Bill REALLY wanted Knights and uuhhhh yeah we're like...in the desert. Did you know Las Vegas is in the desert? It's not in a savannah. It's not a coastal city. It's not situated in the plains...we're....we're in the desert!. The city is in the desert so you guys should know that our Knights...well...they're......they're in the desert. Get it? Las Vegas Knights...Las Vegas DESERT Knights. Cause the Knight are Las Vegas and Las Vegas is in the Desert....so they're the Desert Knights...get it? Desert?

That's seriously what (at least a long version of) I think of every time I hear or read Desert Knights. Yeah no **** we're in the desert. Everyone with a functioning knowledge of American geography knows that. It's not like people rolling through town get here and are like "oh what the hell? Why is it so hot?!? Why did no one tell me Las Vegas is in the DESERT?!?" It's enough that the team name is Las Vegas to tell us where they are.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
To be honest if it were up to me I'd just go Black Knights and be done with it. Foley claims there was lots of fan pushback on that one but I don't think he's in tune with what people didn't like about it if his next options were also two word Knight names that are (in my opinion) worse.

At least a Black Knight is a bad ass figure.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Yeah, Foley doesn't seem like he's really all that connected. The Nevada thing, the Vegas thing, , the trifecta of hawk names, the Black/Golden/Silver/Desert Knights, a lot of things that have gotten pushback.

Then again, we only know how it's gone in reality, we never know how bad the other ideas were.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's fair but a lot of good to decent names have been shut down simply for him to have his way. That's frustrating.

Jun 6, 2016
BUT HE PAID THE MONEY FOR THE TEAM!!!!!! or atleast that's what everyone keeps telling me. He was just so stuck on Knights from the beginning I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
BUT HE PAID THE MONEY FOR THE TEAM!!!!!! or atleast that's what everyone keeps telling me. He was just so stuck on Knights from the beginning I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

I guess I didn't expect such a seemingly awesome and obviously successful guy to have such bad taste. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad