Name the centres better than Eichel today

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I feel he has much higher scoring ability. Barkov's two way play is superior but Jack can get there a lot easier than Barkov can have his offensive skill. And bear in mind Eichel plays for the Sabres. He doesn't have Barkovs surrounding cast

Barkov doesn't have Eichel's offensive skill/scoring ability? Huh.

Barkov's "surrounding cast"? Good stuff.

Reactions: CLW

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I feel he has much higher scoring ability. Barkov's two way play is superior but Jack can get there a lot easier than Barkov can have his offensive skill. And bear in mind Eichel plays for the Sabres. He doesn't have Barkovs surrounding cast

Yeah all Eichel has had is former 30 or 40 goal scorers like Jeff Skinner or Evander Kane while Barkov turned guys like Noel Acciari and Carter Verhaeghe into goal scoring machines.

Eichel's scoring ability comes at the expense of stopping the other team from scoring. Maybe the reason the Sabres haven't even sniffed the playoffs or played a meaningful game after Thanksgiving in his whole career has something to do with him.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Healthy Eichel is really really REALLY good. On a good team? I would only rank McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon above him 100%. Equal to him or ever-so-slightly below is Barkov, then Crosby then healthy Malkin and then an interchangeable elite roster of Barzal, Aho, Point, Matthews, etc.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah all Eichel has had is former 30 or 40 goal scorers like Jeff Skinner or Evander Kane while Barkov turned guys like Noel Acciari and Carter Verhaeghe into goal scoring machines.

Eichel's scoring ability comes at the expense of stopping the other team from scoring. Maybe the reason the Sabres haven't even sniffed the playoffs or played a meaningful game after Thanksgiving in his whole career has something to do with him.

Eichel's defensive numbers last year and this year in terms of GA, xGA, etc were pretty good. Barkov also had very similar numbers to Eichel in the 3 years before this one (0.03 GA/60 better, 0.90 CA/60 worse, 0.20 xGA/60 worse, etc)

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Ask this again after he plays a full season with a decent hockey team (thinking inspired by the play of Hall, who some had written off, since joining the Bs).

As of right now I'm inclined to rank Jack fairly high partly out of mercy/sympathy and out of recognition of how good his numbers were considering his supporting cast.

With all that in mind, right now, ignoring "attitude", contract, etc.: McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Crosby, Barkov .... He's right around here with Draisaitl and Aho.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
What is your problem, hermano? I didn't include Matthews - rightfully so - and it's a "bait"? You Leafs homers really are something.

well, whether you automatically consider every leaf fan biased is irrelevant, and the reason for that is simple. that reason is because the idea that jack, as great as he is, and he is a true franchise superstar, is a better center than matthews isn't just objectively wrong, it's laughable.

there's a few others i'd take over eichel too, outside of matthews, like barkov.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I would be building a winning team, not a losing one

If my team was trying to tank, then he'd be on my list, right after Eichel and Dahlin

Are you serious? Sid is among the greatest playoff performers in the history. He's the definition of winning hockey.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
Barkov doesn't have Eichel's offensive skill/scoring ability? Huh.

Barkov's "surrounding cast"? Good stuff.

it is very possible, and perhaps... maybe even probable, that barkov has already put up bigger numbers than eichel ever will for his entire career.

not saying that eichel wont ever hit 100 because i could see him doing it.... but.... i wouldn't be surprised if he never gets there either. barkov is so overlooked in the nhl it's a bit crazy tbh.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not trying to collect historical cup rings, I'm trying to win some cups in the future

I have zero trust in Crosby having enough appetite left to win.
Who do you think is carried the Penguins on his back all season long and got them 1st place in the MassMutual East? Santa Claus?

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad