Nail Yakupov

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Should be noted that article is also talking about offensively exclusively. Defensively, players peak later (I believe, but don't quote me, at 28ish). So, you can consider overall contributions somewhere past that offensive peak.

Also, another random note, the points per minute peak in the NHL is actually younger than 26! Coaching usage has a large influence in the curve of that graph.

Not really adding opinion to the conversation, but just adding some notes :)

Yeah, no offense intended. My problem has more to do with how the article gets used than with the article itself.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I know its partially confidence, but Yakupov is one of the most lost players I've seen in the defensive zone I've seen in years. Check out TSN, its almost comical.

I'm not trying to **** on him. I DO think he can be great. I put a hefty amount of blame on how the Oil have handled him. He just has ZERO confidence out there.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I know its partially confidence, but Yakupov is one of the most lost players I've seen in the defensive zone I've seen in years. Check out TSN, its almost comical.

I'm not trying to **** on him. I DO think he can be great. I put a hefty amount of blame on how the Oil have handled him. He just has ZERO confidence out there.

Partly Eakins fault. Guy has just ran Yak straight into the ground. It's quite sad

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Please don't make condescending statistical arguments if you don't even understand the statistics you're using.
No condescension in sight. It's an argument. Try to rebut it if you can.

Plus/minus is descriptive, not predictive.
The description it gives of Yakupov is rather brutal, to say the least. And no, statistics aren't psychic about the future. You appear to be arguing that some day down the road, he will be a Scheifele-type star. The NHL is not a development league. He belongs in the AHL, but will probably bolt for Russia if sent down. I do not agree with the concept of trading an established roster player, for bust, who "is supposed to get better".

Right now, Yakupov is statistically the worst +/- player on a team that is dead last in its conference. In addition, he and/or his agent, is whining in the press, demanding more ice time. Do not want.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When he says descriptive he means what happened.

Predictive doesn't mean psychic prediction of the future, but it means it better evaluates the player so that you have a better idea of how they are going to perform in the future.

For example, a players future goal% (ie: +/- in slightly better form) is more likely to mirror their shot attempt % (ie: Corsi%) from previous games than their goal% from previous games.

I can't remember exact numbers but I believe J.Likens found Corsi% is around 49% reliable at 20 games where SnarkSD (had a brain fart and can't remember his real name haha) found it takes 120 for +/- to reach 45%.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
No condescension in sight. It's an argument. Try to rebut it if you can.

The description it gives of Yakupov is rather brutal, to say the least. And no, statistics aren't psychic about the future. You appear to be arguing that some day down the road, he will be a Scheifele-type star. The NHL is not a development league. He belongs in the AHL, but will probably bolt for Russia if sent down. I do not agree with the concept of trading an established roster player, for bust, who "is supposed to get better".

Right now, Yakupov is statistically the worst +/- player on a team that is dead last in its conference. In addition, he and/or his agent, is whining in the press, demanding more ice time. Do not want.

The rebuttal was that +/- is not a good tool for evaluating Yakupov's past performances, and by proxy, not a good tool for measuring his future success. Much the same way as Bogosian's +5 is demonstrably the product of mostly luck. It's funny that between Yakupov and Bogosian, you feel Yakupov is the bust. I'm not sure how many people outside of Winnipeg you could convince of that.

Although this line has me fairly convinced you're just trolling anyway:
"You appear to be arguing that some day down the road, he will be a Scheifele-type star"
Speaking of players who need to get better...

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The rebuttal was that +/- is not a good tool for evaluating Yakupov's past performances, and by proxy, not a good tool for measuring his future success. Much the same way as Bogosian's +5 is demonstrably the product of mostly luck. It's funny that between Yakupov and Bogosian, you feel Yakupov is the bust. I'm not sure how many people outside of Winnipeg you could convince of that.

Although this line has me fairly convinced you're just trolling anyway:
"You appear to be arguing that some day down the road, he will be a Scheifele-type star"
Speaking of players who need to get better...
After 2011/11/13
  • Bogosian is +8, BEST ON THE JETS
  • Scheifele is -1
  • Yakupov is -15, WORST ON THE OILERS
The difference in +/- is due to Scheifele being a more complete "200-foot player". And he and his agent don't whine publically demanding more playing time.

Yakupov is a 1-dimensional slapshot who doesn't seem capable of playing defensively responsibly. How long do you think Yakupov would last in Winnipeg with Noel's insistence on being defensively responsible? I don't see Yakupov being back in Edmonton after the 2014-2015 season (the end of his ELC). Maybe not even in the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Partly Eakins fault. Guy has just ran Yak straight into the ground. It's quite sad

I disagree. I place the blame on him never learning to play a lick of defense at the junior level. He just played an all out offensice game and never really learned the defensive aspects of the game, a stark contrast to Scheifele who put in an awful lot of work to be a very strong two-way player at the junior level. You can clearly tell Nail has no defensive foundation to his game and as a result Eakins is trying to build it from the ground up. This isn't easy and likely should be done in the AHL not NHL.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
After 2011/11/13
  • Scheifele is -1
The difference in +/- is due to Scheifele being a more complete "200-foot player". And he and his agent don't whine publically demanding more playing time.

Yakupov is a 1-dimensional slapshot who doesn't seem capable of playing defensively responsibly. How long do you think Yakupov would last in Winnipeg with Noel's insistence on being defensively responsible? I don't see Yakupov being back in Edmonton after the 2014-2015 season (the end of his ELC). Maybe not even in the NHL.

About 5 minutes then he would be benched permanently.

Scheifele was / is an offensive player like Yak, except Scheifele has excepted the fact that if he wants to stay with the Jets he has to play the way Noel wants him to. Scheifele has worked hard at rounding out the defensive part of his game... Listening to Yak on TSN, maybe its just me, but he seems to want no part of a defensive game. "Give me more minutes if you want to win coach ".

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Sure, I agree. But he doesn't always play like a #2 or #3 defenseman - sometimes he's the Bogo who gives up free pizzas or is caught standing still. We still don't know if he'll be a solid player in his own end with a little bit of offense, or the opposite, or anything. That's why I referred to him as a question mark.

I don't think I've seen Bogo play less than a number 3 in the entire time he's been a Jet.

Personally, I think people have seen some of the glaring mistakes (the Perry goal comes to mind), and have a magnifying glass watching for Bogo to make a mistake.

The last Wings game is a good example. Bogo played 27:52. Not even counting the goal he scored, I would bet that more people here were lol'ing, and face palming that Bogo made a mistake trying to pass the puck behind the net and hit the side of the net, than giving him credit for the overall game he played. Never mind that he was playing the most minutes on the team. I don't know if it's news to anyone, but nobody, and certainly no defenseman in the game make it through the game without making mistakes. Not Weber, not Lidstrom, not Orr. And when you play close to 28 minutes, you're a little more likely to make a mistake.

As for not putting up points, I have also been seeing that comment around as well. Bogo doesn't put up a tonne of points, but he puts up a good amount of points at even strength, and I don't think he also gets a lot of PP time (comparatively).

At even strength:

2012-2013 - .333 a game (Same as Weber, Beauchemin, OEL, and better than probably a lot of others, I just didn't calculate it for them all.) He would probably place around the 13 to 18 mark overall if he had played all 48. Bogo was 92nd in PP time per game. He was also 17th in even strength time per game.

2011- 2012 - .35 a game (this would put him at around 10th overall I think, higher than a lot of D men that put up more overall points). Bogo was 57th in PP time per game. He was also 67th in even strength time per game.

Someone else may want to calculate the even strength points per game for defenseman to double check. I just did a rough check and didn't calculate them all. Maybe a even strength point per minute stat? :)

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
After 2011/11/13
  • Scheifele is -1

The difference in +/- is variance in a small sample space. If you're going to continue basing your argument on a statistic which is demonstrably neither reflective of how well the players have played, nor a good predictor of future success we simply aren't going to agree.

It's funny that you call scheif a "200 foot player" and praise his defensive prowess while watching him perform as probably the worst forward on this team so far this year.

I'd also wager that Yakupov outlasts Noel in Winnipeg.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't think I've seen Bogo play less than a number 3 in the entire time he's been a Jet.

Personally, I think people have seen some of the glaring mistakes (the Perry goal comes to mind), and have a magnifying glass watching for Bogo to make a mistake.

The last Wings game is a good example. Bogo played 27:52. Not even counting the goal he scored, I would bet that more people here were lol'ing, and face palming that Bogo made a mistake trying to pass the puck behind the net and hit the side of the net, than giving him credit for the overall game he played. Never mind that he was playing the most minutes on the team. I don't know if it's news to anyone, but nobody, and certainly no defenseman in the game make it through the game without making mistakes. Not Weber, not Lidstrom, not Orr. And when you play close to 28 minutes, you're a little more likely to make a mistake.

As for not putting up points, I have also been seeing that comment around as well. Bogo doesn't put up a tonne of points, but he puts up a good amount of points at even strength, and I don't think he also gets a lot of PP time (comparatively).

At even strength:

2012-2013 - .333 a game (Same as Weber, Beauchemin, OEL, and better than probably a lot of others, I just didn't calculate it for them all.) He would probably place around the 13 to 18 mark overall if he had played all 48. Bogo was 92nd in PP time per game. He was also 17th in even strength time per game.

2011- 2012 - .35 a game (this would put him at around 10th overall I think, higher than a lot of D men that put up more overall points). Bogo was 57th in PP time per game. He was also 67th in even strength time per game.

Someone else may want to calculate the even strength points per game for defenseman to double check. I just did a rough check and didn't calculate them all. Maybe a even strength point per minute stat? :)

At the risk of going COMPLETELY OT....

James: what are you using to classify bogo as such a bust?

I just ran the numbers for bogo doign Corsi rel, zone start, qoc, and P/60 over the last 4 y ears.

Now i don't know how to accurately adjust corsi/zone starts but the numbers I got aren't terrible.

I didn't use flat corsi as it can be team inflated.

that being said, his corsi rel is usually not great. on the jets he's been lower, but this is because of the strength of matchups he's taken the last two years.

So what I did was sort him on corsi rel, zone starts, qoc, and p/p60. assuming 180 full time dmen in the league (6X30) i then took his numbers to see where he'd end up.

Year | Corsi Rel | Unshelteredness | QOC | P/60 |
13-14 | 126 | 96 | 32 | 90|
12-13| 150 | 7 |34 | 32|
11-12| 143 | 42 |172 | 14|

i then took these numbers and averaged them relative to the 30 teams to see where he stacks up as an 'average" in terms of placement

Year | Corsi Rel | Unshelteredness | QOC | P/60 | Average |
13-14 | 4.2| 3.0 | 1 | 3| 2.8 |
12-13| 5 | .23 |1.1 | 1.06| 1.85|
11-12| 4.7 | 1.4 |5.7 | .4| 3

or to put it entirely in laymens terms

Year | Corsi Rel | Unshelteredness | QOC | P/60 | Average |
13-14 | 5th | 3rd | 1st | 3rd | mid- low 3rd |
12-13| 5th | 1st |high 2| high 2| high 2nd|
11-12| 5th | 2nd |6th | 1st| borderline 3rd

*Unshelterdness is Inverse O Zone starts.

what's it mean?

wel lit means bogo's probably not the "would be #1" we like to say he is. That being said, he seems to solidly be in the 3rd territory. Though his corsi rel usually keeps him low its strongly effected by the strength of matchups he takes.

He's always in the bottom half of Ozone start, and (besides the first year) generally takes tough minutes.

His scoring has shifted as you'd expect with his zone starts/matchups. That being said, he's producing currently at historically low offensive rates per minutes, without a decrease in zone starts nor an increase in tough minutes. Which means this number is either A) likely to pick up and return to historic numbers or B) he's regressing.

Conclusion: i would not call Bogo a bust, but we're overpaying for what he's doing right now. This contract was always about potential, and 18 games isn't a great sample size, but if his scoring numbers return to their normal position he'd jump to be a borderline 2 overall.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The difference in +/- is variance in a small sample space. If you're going to continue basing your argument on a statistic which is demonstrably neither reflective of how well the players have played, nor a good predictor of future success we simply aren't going to agree.

It's funny that you call scheif a "200 foot player" and praise his defensive prowess while watching him perform as probably the worst forward on this team so far this year.

I'd also wager that Yakupov outlasts Noel in Winnipeg.

I would say Scheifele has been pretty good defensively for a rookie and it is part of his game he really is working on. He is creating offense and has some of the pressure taken off him playing on the third line. I have a feeling he will finish the season with around 25 points or so while being close to an even player. If he sees more PP time those numbers may go up.

I think it is fairly obvious that they are trying to not to put any pressure on him and in the long term that may work out. Yak on the other hand is getting whipped in Edmonton and look how that is working out for him.

As for bad arguments, well suggesting a player is going to outlast a coach isn't a good one either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would say Scheifele has been pretty good defensively for a rookie and it is part of his game he really is working on. He is creating offense and has some of the pressure taken off him playing on the third line. I have a feeling he will finish the season with around 25 points or so while being close to an even player. If he sees more PP time those numbers may go up.

I think it is fairly obvious that they are trying to not to put any pressure on him and in the long term that may work out. Yak on the other hand is getting whipped in Edmonton and look how that is working out for him.

As for bad arguments, well suggesting a player is going to outlast a coach isn't a good one either.

Good post! Looks to me that the Jets are using the Colin Wilson development model with Mark. Defensive play first and then slowly work the offense in. Not too surprising that they are taking this approach considering Noel did spend a lot of time in the Nashville system.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Someone suggested eberle plus 2015 1st for buff on the oilers board.

Can't be. We're told by people here that we're vastly over valuing our players. :sarcasm:

I did see that as well, and notice that others are either ok with it, or looking to make it a 2nd and not a 1st.

Someone else posted Eberle and Nurse, but that is more of a joke / panic post.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Not really a bet worth taking because I'll wager almost everyone on the current Jets roster outlasts Noel.

Agreed entirely, I'm not concerned by the arguments of "How will Nail perform under Noel" since Noel probably won't be here long enough for that to become a long-term issue.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Bogosian was inarguably terrible in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 so I won't even bother with these years.

In 2011/2012 he finished 143 in corsi rel, 120 corsi on. His Qual comp was roughly that of a #3 Dman. (min 20 gp)

In 2012/2013 he finished 150 in corsi rel, 127 corsi on. His Qual comp was approximately that of a #1 or #2 Dman. (min 20 gp)

I just looked at his quality of competition and corsi numbers.

In 2011/2012 his Qual Comp Corsi was ~205th
and his Qual Comp Corsi Rel was ~86th.

I might be interpreting this wrong, but that says to me that he faced #3 dman opposition based on Jets Schedule. But the Jets played primarily bad teams, meaning that being a #3 on the Jets was comparable to being much lower on the depth chart for teams with a tougher schedule.

I then compared that to his own corsi production. Despite being given #3 Dman competition, he performed closer to a teams #4 or #5 (143 corsi rel). His overall Corsi numbers are better, about a teams #4, but that would be expected given his relatively easy competition.

I wan't him playing like a #2 against #3's, not being out performed by most #4's.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I just looked at his quality of competition and corsi numbers.

In 2011/2012 his Qual Comp Corsi was ~205th
and his Qual Comp Corsi Rel was ~86th.

I might be interpreting this wrong, but that says to me that he faced #3 dman opposition based on Jets Schedule. But the Jets played primarily bad teams, meaning that being a #3 on the Jets was comparable to being much lower on the depth chart for teams with a tougher schedule.

I then compared that to his own corsi production. Despite being given #3 Dman competition, he performed closer to a teams #4 or #5 (143 corsi rel). His overall Corsi numbers are better, about a teams #4, but that would be expected given his relatively easy competition.

I wan't him playing like a #2 against #3's, not being out performed by most #4's.

I believe you are interpreting it wrong, though i may be incorrect too (help, we need a professional!)

The use of corsi rel verse flat corsi (and the comparing of the too) is not to show the quality of opponents (this is determined on its own through QoC, as QoC is not team relative). Bogo has fased the 32nd and 34th toughest matchups in the last two season, leaguwide.

Using Corsi Rel adjusts for playing on a team full of halfwits or crosby's, or a team that uses a garbage system.

Even crosby's corsi would suffer if the penguins roster was 11 John Scotts and 6 Mark Stuarts.... or if I was the coach.

What i've shown is that Bogo consistently puts up a shot differential like a #3, takes (on average) high end 2nd competition , and produces points as an average 3rd pairing.

he's not performing like a four in any facet, besides the sheer sheltering he got in 11-12.

Furthermore, this is putting a lot of weight on the 18 games of this season, which i believe is actually worse then the average of the last two.. if you were to adjust for actual games played he might even look better...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

At even strength:

Thank you.

We see it happen time and time again here. Hell, I do it too with Byfuglien. You stop seeing what a player is doing well and you just focus in on any little mistake.

Bogosian hasn't been GREAT this year but he is still our best all round defenseman for my money.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just little stats warning... QoC differences are very small... This is an area in real infancy, but it looks like over the spread of a season QoC is much less severe than linemates and offensive zone starts.

When you look at the Jets the highest is difference is +2 Corsi to a -2 Corsi...

To put that into perspective, the Jets players have performed with the highest difference being +15 Corsi to a -12 Corsi.

So basically the spread in competition and linematching on the Jets is about 4 points relative to the spread in talent being 27 points...

Bogosian isn't as good as Enstrom or Byfuglien for overall results but he's a good #3 with upside right now and I'm happy to have him. If we had a better #4 than Clitsome, it would go a long way as we could reunite Tobi-Buff... I miss Ron :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad