Nail Yakupov

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What would you guys think, if we traded for Nail Yakupov? Is he someone we need on this team going forward or do we need a a Centre? Would like it if traded for Nail Yakupov? What could we offer that the Oilers will bite on?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Unless we got him below his value, I wouldn't be happy with anything that we would give up for him.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
Out of anyone in the Oiler's core, I'd take Yak. That being said I don't really have an interest of him on the team. Especially at the price he'd warrant.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I am godawful at trade proposals but do you think Byfuglien and our first would work?

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I don't think they would want Buff, it would be Bogosian as the main target.

Honestly I'd be fine with Bogo + to get Yakupov.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If he had a different passport probably. But to give up full value for him as if he's like every other North American is just too risky.

Our biggest worry is at center anyway.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Not a huge fan of Yak.
I would do Buff+ 2015 second.
I wouldn't trade Bogo for him.
Something about him makes me weary.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He could be the next Russian to bolt to the KHL. Too risky.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
No thanks to Yakupov. I'd prefer to let somebody else take the gamble.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not interested. He's a train wreck defensively and the fact that he's agent is whining to the media because his play hasn't warrented more icetime is really not the fit this team needs.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
It's worth mentioning that pre draft he stated he wanted to play his career in the NHL, and also that his agent, Igor Larionov has publicly stated before that he prefers his clients to play in the NHL.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think they would want Buff, it would be Bogosian as the main target.

Honestly I'd be fine with Bogo + to get Yakupov.

I wouldn't entertain that at all. The Jets problems are stopping goals not scoring them. Giving up one our top defenseman for a struggling on dimensional forward doesn't address any of this teams problems.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I wouldn't entertain that at all. The Jets problems are stopping goals not scoring them. Giving up one our top defenseman for a struggling on dimensional forward doesn't address any of this teams problems.

Considering the Jets are 22nd in goals for and 21st in goals against I wouldn't isolate that problem to one side of the puck. Also, don't discredit offensive possession in goals against.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Considering the Jets are 22nd in goals for and 21st in goals against I wouldn't isolate that problem to one side of the puck. Also, don't discredit offensive possession in goals against.

I'm not but Yakupov has the worst plus minus in the entire league despite getting a large dose of offensive zone starts. He's been atrocious defensively so I fail to see how he'd do anything but make us bleed more.

This also doesn't take into account that Noel would likely not treat him any different than how Eakins is this year. If Yakupov doesnt play defensive hockey than he won't play under Noel. His agent went to the media because Yakupov wasn't getting playing time. Do we want that headache here?

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
only players on the Oil that interest me are RNH and Petry

Yak is getting plenty of PP time and Ozone starts and still getting mediocre offensive results and this doesn't even touch on his defensive shortcomings

Buff +1st? don't think I'd even consider Buff straight up

edit: ^ also what surixon said above me regarding Noel's approach

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Agree that Buff straight up would be overpayment.

Really a matter of proven vs unproven.
Buff has shown he can play at the highest level of hockey...albeit as long as he is focused.
Yak is an unproven work in progress.
Sure he might have skill, but as others have mentioned, his 200ft game is not there yet.
BTW: We already have a Russian Prima Donna that is off pouting in the KHL, that is miles better defensively, and will put up good number when he matures...best part... we can have him back for nothing.

Last edited:

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
No thanks, he has no heart at all and very lazy - I see him in Edmonton every night, he is not worth buff, and I hate buff

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
It's worth mentioning that pre draft he stated he wanted to play his career in the NHL, and also that his agent, Igor Larionov has publicly stated before that he prefers his clients to play in the NHL.

And Burmi said the KHL was an Old Mans League.... So he's probably going to KHL next year......

bazaaa*

You see his slide across the ice last year after that game winner? That's not the actions of a guy who wants to leave for the KHL. He wants to be center stage in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad