Nail Yakupov

Puckschmuck*

Just saw Yak on TSN. Wants more and more ice time. Obviously thinks he is privileged and should just play unlimitedly without earning anything or even playing well. Off to the KHL eventually? :dunno:

It could be like reliving the Burmi situation all over again. No thanks.

bazaaa*

As a jets fan, this forum seems to be waaaaaay over-valuing our own players. Any one of Buff, Bogo or Ladd would almost definitely be worth swapping out for a developing Yakupov. Once you consider wage, age and years of club control the gap widens even further.

I doubt many Edmonton fans would even humour these offers. Even with a decent pick.

Very typical here. Gets annoying.
Typical mindset here,
Buff playing good = Buff is the best, I wouldn't trade him for anything.
Buff playing terrible = Let's trade Buff, he's an elite all star and will bring in a huge return.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Yakupovs shot on the power play would really help (ala Stamkos style powerplay).

Other than that, not a big fan of his or his attitude which I predicted would be an issue before he was even drafted.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
As a jets fan, this forum seems to be waaaaaay over-valuing our own players. Any one of Buff, Bogo or Ladd would almost definitely be worth swapping out for a developing Yakupov. Once you consider wage, age and years of club control the gap widens even further.

I doubt many Edmonton fans would even humour these offers. Even with a decent pick.

I agree completely.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Because Bogo is more of a question mark than Buff. He's almost as much as a question mark as Yakupov is.

• As noted by many, teams win by scoring more goals than the opposition. Zach Bogosian currently has THE BEST +/- ON THE JETS. Yakupov has THE WORST +/- ON THE OILERS. Bogosian is a help to us; Yakupov would be a liability.
  • Given our current injury situation, a Bogosian/Yakupov trade would promote...
    • One of Buff/Clitsome to 1st D pairing
    • One of Ellerby/Pardy to 2nd D pairing
    • Redmond to the 3rd D pairing
    • One of Chiarot/Melchiori/Sol to the #7 (Jets pressbox) spot
    :help: :scared:
  • We've already got Wheeler+Frolik+Setoguchi on the RW, and we have our own prospect wingers in St John's in O'Dell and Lowry. Yakupov would be an overpaid 4th liner.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No thanks, he has no heart at all and very lazy - I see him in Edmonton every night, he is not worth buff, and I hate buff

100% false.

You guys have put too much stock in his nationality. He's a Russian so the assumption that he could bolt to the KHL is immediately there but he is not a selfish, me first player. I recall a game in Winnipeg this past pre-season where the Oilers lost but he was the best player on the ice for the Oilers. He was interviewed after the game and the reporter asked him how he felt he played.. he said "Awful. The team didn't win and that's all that matters. Clearly I wasn't good enough." (or something along those lines, I don't remember exactly) That speaks to his character and you guys have the total wrong impression of him. His lack of strong English might be misleading I guess..

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
100% false.

You guys have put too much stock in his nationality. He's a Russian so the assumption that he could bolt to the KHL is immediately there but he is not a selfish, me first player. I recall a game in Winnipeg this past pre-season where the Oilers lost but he was the best player on the ice for the Oilers. He was interviewed after the game and the reporter asked him how he felt he played.. he said "Awful. The team didn't win and that's all that matters. Clearly I wasn't good enough." (or something along those lines, I don't remember exactly) That speaks to his character and you guys have the total wrong impression of him. His lack of strong English might be misleading I guess..

I have zero issues with his character just with his game. Jets have one prime trading chip in Buff that could be used to acquire someone like Yak, but our needs are at C and LHD. Going after Yak could easily be seen as a luxury that the Jets organization can ill afford.

I'm sure he'll get his **** straightened out eventually

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
100% false.

Something most of us would have had said about Burmistrov. Things can change, after all. I still think about Burmistrov in that way, doesn't change that he needed a change of scenery from Noel and our system.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
100% false.

No doubt one would be buying low on Nail right now. However its not going to happen with Winnipeg we appear to be Kryptonite to young Russians and I think Chevy knows that. 2.0 and Russians go together like Ice Cream and Onions.

Edmonton would be nuts to move him......give him time FFS......No offense but I just don't trust your organization to be able to trade Yak and get back pieces that might help. The problem is not with Hall, RNH, Ebs, or Yak "individually".......it's all about KLowe and Katz.

The Ugly Truth*

What would you guys think, if we traded for Nail Yakupov? Is he someone we need on this team going forward or do we need a a Centre? Would like it if traded for Nail Yakupov? What could we offer that the Oilers will bite on?

I don't think that he is the type of player that should be on the Jet's radar. There are a lot more pressing positional needs to fill right now and Yakupov would be a very risky addition at high cost.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No doubt one would be buying low on Nail right now. However its not going to happen with Winnipeg we appear to be Kryptonite to young Russians and I think Chevy knows that. 2.0 and Russians go together like Ice Cream and Onions.

Edmonton would be nuts to move him......give him time FFS......No offense but I just don't trust your organization to be able to trade Yak and get back pieces that might help. The problem is not with Hall, RNH, Ebs, or Yak "individually".......it's all about KLowe and Katz.

The curse of "Mikhail" Smith? Jets 1.0.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
Not a guy I would trade a core piece for. Entirely too one dimensional with no commitment to play defense.

Plus, he's a risk to go to the KHL whether people want to admit it or not. Burmi said he never wanted to play there either. Kovy had a big contract in the NHL. Both went to the KHL. When Yak's ELC is up and he doesn't get big NHL bucks but has a massive offer from the KHL, what happens then?

Bogo? That's laughable. Have to really laugh at the guy here who want to trade Bogo, our 1st (which is likely to be top 10) AND one of our top prospects for Yak. That's a package that gets you a STAR centre that plays BOTH ends of the ice, and is locked up for long time. Actually, that's MORE than what that would cost as BOTH Richards and Carter went for less.

If the Oilers were interested in something around Buff, then maybe the Jets can take that risk. Otherwise, no thanks to overpaying.

agreed!

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
100% false.

sorry, i live in EDM and I have to watch him float around every night. You see a burst here and there but he won't play D and for a bigger young player, I've yet to see him take the body.

I think Yak has tremendous skill and upside but needs more ice time - when Hemsky is moved, he'll drop right in to his spot. Right now his value is tanking b/c he won't keep his mouth shut so he could be heading to the A as a punishment. Eakins won't take this crap for long. He's not being moved and at the same time, if he was, EDM seems to fleece people out of their pants for trade value. Chevy won't trade anyone.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
sorry, i live in EDM and I have to watch him float around every night. You see a burst here and there but he won't play D and for a bigger young player, I've yet to see him take the body.

I think Yak has tremendous skill and upside but needs more ice time - when Hemsky is moved, he'll drop right in to his spot. Right now his value is tanking b/c he won't keep his mouth shut so he could be heading to the A as a punishment. Eakins won't take this crap for long. He's not being moved and at the same time, if he was, EDM seems to fleece people out of their pants for trade value. Chevy won't trade anyone.

.....really?

their most recent trade was god awful, though i guess the MPS Perron trade looks pretty good for em that pretty well puts you at a wash.

this is their GM's first year so i don't know how you can extrapolate beyond those two trades.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Or maybe Yakupov is the one who is being over valued. Ladd is a former top 5 pick himself who finished 5th overall in LW scoring last year and is once again holding down the 5th overall spot this year all the while bringing a physical and strong two-way game. If you ask me Yakupov will be lucky to turn into the player Ladd is right now and that isn't meant to be any slight against him. I just don't think people appreciate what we have in Ladd. Why would you trade for a maybe player when you have an exceptional player who is developed. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Because quite simply, Ladd is about to enter the downslope of his productive years. He's playing very well, but he's more expensive and will be well past his prime by the time the Jets are really competitive.

bazaaa*

Because quite simply, Ladd is about to enter the downslope of his productive years. He's playing very well, but he's more expensive and will be well past his prime by the time the Jets are really competitive.

To be fair, he wasn't really extended to be a top producing forward.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
  • As noted by many, teams win by scoring more goals than the opposition. Zach Bogosian currently has THE BEST +/- ON THE JETS. Yakupov has THE WORST +/- ON THE OILERS. Bogosian is a help to us; Yakupov would be a liability.
  • Given our current injury situation, a Bogosian/Yakupov trade would promote...
    • One of Buff/Clitsome to 1st D pairing
    • One of Ellerby/Pardy to 2nd D pairing
    • Redmond to the 3rd D pairing
    • One of Chiarot/Melchiori/Sol to the #7 (Jets pressbox) spot
    :help: :scared:
  • We've already got Wheeler+Frolik+Setoguchi on the RW, and we have our own prospect wingers in St John's in O'Dell and Lowry. Yakupov would be an overpaid 4th liner.

Please don't make condescending statistical arguments if you don't even understand the statistics you're using. Plus/minus is descriptive, not predictive. By almost any metric that actually matters Bogosian has been terrible and Yakupov has been basically average.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Please don't make condescending statistical arguments if you don't even understand the statistics you're using. Plus/minus is descriptive, not predictive. By almost any metric that actually matters Bogosian has been terrible and Yakupov has been basically average.

Why don't you post some of these metrics then!

Bogo has been far from terrible and Yakupov has been far from average this year.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
To be fair, he wasn't really extended to be a top producing forward.

Very true, and I like the value Ladd brings right now, but his age makes him very difficult to build around. I think if we get presented with the opportunity to reinforce our team of the future (trouba, scheif, comrie etc.) we should probably take the jump.

Plus this isn't Ladd for Yakupov, this is Ladd for Yakupov
+ 3.5 million player.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013
Why don't you post some of these metrics then!

Bogo has been far from terrible and Yakupov has been far from average this year.

www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics....+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

No, Bogosian has basically been terrible. He's faced above-average competition but he's also been severely outplayed by them. His pdo indicates he's been hugely lucky (explains the +\-), while his terrible corsi numbers indicate he's frequently getting out shot, and cor espondingly out-chanced. He's also got the second worse points/60 of the jets defenseman. He's a defenceman that currently can't score and can't defend.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics....+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

No, Bogosian has basically been terrible. He's faced above-average competition but he's also been severely outplayed by them. His pdo indicates he's been hugely lucky (explains the +\-), while his terrible corsi numbers indicate he's frequently getting out shot, and cor espondingly out-chanced. He's also got the second worse points/60 of the jets defenseman. He's a defenceman that currently can't score and can't defend.

Go and look at the last few years then, he's shown that he can score and defend against very good opposition. I love that people want to run a good player out of town for a rough stretch.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Go and look at the last few years then, he's shown that he can score and defend against very good opposition. I love that people want to run a good player out of town for a rough stretch.

I don't mind people being critical of players, but I don't get anyone trying to trade someone like Bogo or anyone for a player that will most likely bolt to the KHL the first chance he gets.

We have come full circle with the Russians. Years ago GMs were afraid of drafting them because they couldn't guarantee if they could even get them out of their country due to politics... now GMs are going to be afraid to draft them because we may not be able to get them out of their country or keep them out due to money.

The world wanted to give capitalism to the Russians... well this is the result.

james10011

Aug 1, 2013

Bogosian was inarguably terrible in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 so I won't even bother with these years.

In 2011/2012 he finished 143 in corsi rel, 120 corsi on. His Qual comp was roughly that of a #3 Dman. (min 20 gp)

In 2012/2013 he finished 150 in corsi rel, 127 corsi on. His Qual comp was approximately that of a #1 or #2 Dman. (min 20 gp)

It looks a lot like Bogosian is doing a very poor imitation of a top pairing Dman. He was widely considered a bust before arriving in Winnipeg, and although he certainly looks the part, has never really done a good job with any kind of tough minutes. I've never understood how a player with such poor results generates so much fan fare. Jack Johnson 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad