Nail Yakupov Thread: Part 2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Almost Certainly if Yak wants to he'll be back in the NHL. With some maturity probably a different look 2nd time around. Even his time in Colorado was weirdly compelling. he could put the puck in the net when used with talent but he'd be buried down the lineup so much or just not being dressed that he lost confidence again.

It seems like few clubs know how to deal with project players. Some coach would find usable ingredients in Yakupov even if you have to tell him exactly what to do in rote fashion like a playbook for him.

This is a more ready to unpack scorer than Pulju any day of the week and scoring goals is always going to be important. At worst this is a guy you give limited minutes to and he can put up 15-20 goals. For many teams they need that. We could use it.

Being able to score was not really Yakupovs problem, GA was.

The NHL is exhibiting more of a stubborn insular look if no team ever takes him back.

Like others I even wonder if in some way this player was blacklisted after beating Canada in World Juniors and his comments. I remember he was savagely attacked for it, when really it just seemed like enthusiasm and playful banter. I've rarely seen a player get more negative press, even for a celly, so many scribes that took shots at him or even his own club.

I'll never forget Yaks first prospects camp in Sherwood Park and him running miles around everybody else on the ice and scoring 3 or 4 goals in a scrimmage. The whole crowd was wowed and loving it. Hundreds were lining up for autographs and Yak was obliging. We leave and theres Terry Jones outside, having a smoke, pissed off, and Terry Jones always hated Nail Yakupov. From the start. Even that day he couldn't stand anybody was liking Yak.

Regardless of how much Yak contributed to it when all was falling apart he sure was singled out a lot. If he hailed from Ontario would the treatment have ever been as negative?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would give Yak a second chance. He would be one of our better forwards if he was on the team now. You know it's true.

An interesting thing is that the Oilers gave yak 12 games with McD at the start of one season and Yak had 2g 9A 11pts. Still, almost everybody here was disparaging him, saying you should fill the net anytime playing with Connor and that somehow going ppg with Connor was bad.

Soon as Eberle came back from injury he was parked the rest of the season with McD and even though the club moved away from Eberle anyway. What would have occurred if Yak had been granted some more toi with Connor and a chance to build up the confidence?

At least if we had given more time we could pump tires on Yak if the org didn't like him and wanted him dealt. They buried him again instead.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
An interesting thing is that the Oilers gave yak 12 games with McD at the start of one season and Yak had 2g 9A 11pts. Still, almost everybody here was disparaging him, saying you should fill the net anytime playing with Connor and that somehow going ppg with Connor was bad.

Soon as Eberle came back from injury he was parked the rest of the season with McD and even though the club moved away from Eberle anyway. What would have occurred if Yak had been granted some more toi with Connor and a chance to build up the confidence?

At least if we had given more time we could pump tires on Yak if the org didn't like him and wanted him dealt. They buried him again instead.

It is crazy to think that Yakupov would be more a productive player then Puljujarvi and Lucic. The mismanagement and development has been an eye sore for so many years, it is quite surprising that there hasn't been more people accountable in management for this but the people that had to pay the price has just been shuffled into the back corner of the company. I pray we are finally going to see something will be done this offseason.

It's great that our AHL team is doing great. Maybe we can finally set this course right. I feel we can a real team once we remove some the deadweight. And I honestly believe on giving Yakupov a second chance wearing the oil. He was only here for 4 years. Puljujarvi has been here for 3 and he has barely more points then Yakupov's first season.

Reactions: SnooPac

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
I'd love it. Been thinking about this and wondering if it's possible since the Gagner trade :)

Then somehow get rid of Lucic and get Hall back (when is he UFA?).
Wouldn't mind Eberle as well.
I'm not joking btw.
It stops there for me though. Not asking for Omark and MPS and Schremp too :)

But seriously, Yak :thumbu:.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I would personally love to give him a cheap second chance if it were possible. I'd leave him with McDavid and let that develop, but what do I know.

He doesn't strike me as someone who'd be dying to come back to the Oilers, though.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Almost Certainly if Yak wants to he'll be back in the NHL. With some maturity probably a different look 2nd time around. Even his time in Colorado was weirdly compelling. he could put the puck in the net when used with talent but he'd be buried down the lineup so much or just not being dressed that he lost confidence again.

It seems like few clubs know how to deal with project players. Some coach would find usable ingredients in Yakupov even if you have to tell him exactly what to do in rote fashion like a playbook for him.

This is a more ready to unpack scorer than Pulju any day of the week and scoring goals is always going to be important. At worst this is a guy you give limited minutes to and he can put up 15-20 goals. For many teams they need that. We could use it.

Being able to score was not really Yakupovs problem, GA was.

The NHL is exhibiting more of a stubborn insular look if no team ever takes him back.

Like others I even wonder if in some way this player was blacklisted after beating Canada in World Juniors and his comments. I remember he was savagely attacked for it, when really it just seemed like enthusiasm and playful banter. I've rarely seen a player get more negative press, even for a celly, so many scribes that took shots at him or even his own club.

I'll never forget Yaks first prospects camp in Sherwood Park and him running miles around everybody else on the ice and scoring 3 or 4 goals in a scrimmage. The whole crowd was wowed and loving it. Hundreds were lining up for autographs and Yak was obliging. We leave and theres Terry Jones outside, having a smoke, pissed off, and Terry Jones always hated Nail Yakupov. From the start. Even that day he couldn't stand anybody was liking Yak.

Regardless of how much Yak contributed to it when all was falling apart he sure was singled out a lot. If he hailed from Ontario would the treatment have ever been as negative?
Yaks problem was he is braindead. Doesn't reflect in ex games or training camps. Does in games. These days, in the NHL if you don't have very good hockey sense you are toast. Game is far too quick

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I wouldn't wish a second run with this team on him, lol. He's suffered enough. That said, I'm really pleased to see him killing it in the KHL, he's really jumping on the open spaces for one timers from the highlights I've seen. I'd love to see him back but I think it'd be a dumb move for everyone involved unless the Oilers ACTUALLY purge the OBC.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Lots of players do well in the KHL that couldn't cut it in the NHL. So no I don't want Yakupov back.

Omark has had many successful seasons, perhaps we should bring him back too!

Reactions: harpoon

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So talking about this player will trigger alot of 'wtf?' reactions, but with all the talk that Jesse is Yakupov 2.0, got me thinking to how he's doing right now:

-His team SKA is 2nd overall in the KHL
-He leads the entire team in goals at 22 (even after missing 15 games), and is 6th on the team in overall pts
-Leads the team in game winning goals (7) and PP goals (7)
-In SKA's two overtime game victories, he scored both OT goals
-Leads the team in shot % at 22.4
-4th highest hitting forward on team with 51 hits
-4th in +/- on the team at +21
-Could possibly win the championship this year

Stats : Players stats : 18/19 | regular : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

He's only signed for this season. I'm sure he's going to garner some interest in the NHL, from more than a handful of teams. This KHL stint could've been the catalyst to cracking his shell, or it could just be that he succeeds in any other league, except for the NHL. And his price would probably be in the vicinity of 1-2 mil, at 1-2 yrs. He's 25 yrs old, could be creeping up on his prime, and couldn't hurt to have on this team right now, with next to none secondary scoring. He was pretty decent when he was playing alongside Connor.
Also playing on the Nashville of the KHL, he's likely sharpened up his defensive game, hence the +21. Maybe this could a good story?

Would you want to revisit the Yak Attack? Or was it ridiculous of me to even bring it up, and we should stay far away from him?

Yakupov could have had a decent NHL career on a team that doesn't care if he plays defence, puts him on the right half wall as the one timer option on the PP with a right shot playmaker on the left side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad