Nail Yakupov - Part IV

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I dont get the double standard arguement? Eberle is proven himself in the top 1/3 of NHL players, and Yak has proven himself in the bottom 1/3 of them same players.

I understand where you're coming from, eberle is a better player than yakupov, no one is denying that. But In case you missed the entire first half of last year and the year before that, yak would literally be benched for mistakes that eberle would make also; mainly defensive lapses and turnovers. The only difference was eberle was getting fed 20 mins a night to score and pad his stats as opposed to the 13 mins yak was getting.

And I do agree with you that the excuses for yak have to stop. he needs to prove himself and be better. regardless of that, he's had obstacles to his development that the other kids haven't.

If you dont recognize the double standard there, then you might be Dallas Eakins.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I understand where you're coming from, eberle is a better player than yakupov, no one is denying that. But In case you missed the entire first half of last year and the year before that, yak would literally be benched for mistakes that eberle would make also; mainly defensive lapses and turnovers. The only difference was eberle was getting fed 20 mins a night to score and pad his stats as opposed to the 13 mins yak was getting.

And I do agree with you that the excuses for yak have to stop. he needs to prove himself and be better. regardless of that, he's had obstacles to his development that the other kids haven't.

If you dont recognize the double standard there, then you might be Dallas Eakins.
The difference is, Eberle would make a mistake then make a calm play to get back into position.

Yak would make a mistake then spend the rest of the shift looking lost.

I agree Yak would be benched too easily for little mistakes but him but comparing him to Eberle is stupid.

Eberle wasn't getting fed minutes to pad his stats, he was getting those minutes cause Eberle has actually been able to constantly put up points.

Eberle is not good defensively but he isn't a liability either. He more then makes up for it offensively.

Yak is a liability, that's the difference.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Outplay Eberle and you get 20 minutes a night, real easy solution to the "double standard" nonsense.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Outplay Eberle and you get 20 minutes a night, real easy solution to the "double standard" nonsense.
Exactly. Even when Eberle makes mistakes he is our best right winger. Yak when he messes up or has rough games Purcell easily takes his spot.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Which player on the team has done much? Bottom-5 finishes must be all on Yakupov, right? If it wasn't for him, the team would be in the playoffs?

Please, stop with this nonsense. Until this team gets its sh_t together it is too Eakinsesque to demand much from the youngest player when the rest of them, supposedly well established NHL players, can't pull the team out of bottom 5 in the league standing.

Wow. Defensive much? Exactly what I was saying about Yak's defenders.
Hall and Eberle have both put up points at a solid rate. RNH has developed well as a 2 way forward. Pouliot, Hendricks, Gordon played their roles well.
Of course he's not the sole reason they've lost, but if you think he hasn't been a disappointment overall I don't know what to say to that.

Last edited:

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
So this thread is now down to every one's two favorite whipping boys: Nail Yakupov and Bad grammer lol.

Please note the correct use of the colon; I was introducing a list of items.

Further, note the correct use of the semi colon.

It does really grind my gears when Yaks doesn't back check and some one misuses the oxford comma. Tisk Tisk

Your punctuation checks out, but your spelling of grammar is ironically off.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Anyone who's denying there was a double standard for how yak was treated compared to everybody else is kidding themselves. And i say this with the full belief that yak needs to shape up.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Anyone who's denying there was a double standard for how yak was treated compared to everybody else is kidding themselves. And i say this with the full belief that yak needs to shape up.

I don't know about that. Yakupov's lapses and errors were a much deeper problem than with any other player. Sure there was probably a different standard for every player, but that standard was likely based on some good reasons.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Like Jultz?

Yakupov was more easily given less priority because we have a scoring RWer in Eberle.

We didn't have much of any offensive transition Dmen, so Schultz played a lot of minutes. There wasn't anyone to take his minutes away. So in his case, the reasons were not exactly based on merit but they are still reasons.

Also, the fact that Schultz played so many more minutes but has a much better plus minus than Yakupov does indicate that he's just much less error-prone.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Yakupov was more easily given less priority because we have a scoring RWer in Eberle.

We didn't have much of any offensive transition Dmen, so Schultz played a lot of minutes. There wasn't anyone to take his minutes away. So in his case, the reasons were not exactly based on merit but they are still reasons.

Also, the fact that Schultz played so many more minutes but has a much better plus minus than Yakupov does indicate that he's just much less error-prone.

They were taking minutes from petry and fayne and giving them away to Jultzy.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Yak does get a lot of harsh criticism, but most of it is unjust.

He has a nice rookie season.
He, along with everyone, looked embarassingly horrible under Eakins and then he really came back when he got Eakins out of here.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There's no double standard and people need to stop suggesting there is.
One trick pony who has been dead last (or near it) in +/- two seasons running now.
If Yak's not scoring, and for the most part he hasn't been, then there are a limited number of spots available for chicken with head cut off winger.
I cheer for Yak. I hope he turns a corner under respectable coaching.
But he is where he is because he hasn't been good enough. Not even close.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
I don't understand why I haven't heard more about this line combination:

Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov

This seems balanced to me and certainly could be used at home.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov

If those are the lines then Hall and Eberle had better be in on the forecheck. And back check for that matter.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton

Hall-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov

With Purcell in a contract year and putting in the extra work this year, I think we will see a little more structure.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - McDavid - Purcell
Draisaitl - Lander - Yakupov

If Yakupov continues to improve his 2 way game like he did last year and Mcdavid shows he can handle 2nd line center responsibilities then move Yak up

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Harpoon described Yaks play as being the equivalent to a 'chicken with its head cut off'...I think thats probably the most apt description I have heard yet.

He desperately needs some structure in his game because as it stands right now he just isn't reliable enough (offensively or defensively) to be considered a top 6 player. He needs to play with defensively responsible players who wont be playing tough minutes.
Yak makes things difficult for himself because of this lack of structure IMO. He appears to be a difficult player to coach and as it stands right now he simply doesnt help his team win games.
He is too much of a liability.

The onus is on him to change that and become a more coachable, team oriented player.
If McLellan cant help him to become a useful player this season then IMO Yak wont be in the Oiler lineup to start the 2016-17 season.
It would be fun to see him turn things around but I certainly wouldnt bet money that it actually happens.

He will be a definite point of interest this season.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I dont get the double standard arguement? Eberle is proven himself in the top 1/3 of NHL players, and Yak has proven himself in the bottom 1/3 of them same players.

Its all about setting someone up for success or failure. Yakupov lead the team in goals with Krueger and was totally a different player under Nelson. Oh hes also FOUR years younger than Eberle.

It will be very interesting this year for him and Im sure McLellan will use him correctly rather than set him up to fail like Eakins did.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Its all about setting someone up for success or failure. Yakupov lead the team in goals with Krueger and was totally a different player under Nelson. Oh hes also FOUR years younger than Eberle.

It will be very interesting this year for him and Im sure McLellan will use him correctly rather than set him up to fail like Eakins did.
He is 4 years younger then Yak. But as I've pointed out. Eberle has never been as bad as Yakupov at his best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad