Nail Yakupov - Part IV

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
if Yakupov is playing top 6 minutes with RNH or McDavid - he better produce. he looked like he was coming along a bit last year. playing physical, had some defensive juice in his shifts here and there. obviously can finish.

seems like a proper wing to have in your top 6. just needs to get into a comfort zone.

Eakins didnt help too much in the long run with him.

whatever, this entire team has a long way to go yet - not just Yakupov.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Yak plays like he has add (someone pointed that out) but he has world class skills albeit a mixed bag. Ok shot, awesome one timer, elite reflexes, good vision, good skating, enigmatic Russian hockey iq, willing to lay people out

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Was just skimming through some old games on my PVR and found a hilarious shift consisting of:

Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov

45 consecutive seconds of the most chaotic offensive zone time.

3 scoring chances.

Ended with a penalty call (for an Oilers powerplay).

McDeathbyCheerios*

Was just skimming through some old games on my PVR and found a hilarious shift consisting of:

Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov

45 consecutive seconds of the most chaotic offensive zone time.

3 scoring chances.

Ended with a penalty call (for an Oilers powerplay).
I was not expecting that lol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It’s time for my weekly 5 Minute Grammar Rant. Bias/biased is an error I come across a lot in my college composition classes and in blogs I read. It drives me nuts, honestly.
Bias? or Biased?
Here’s the deal. BIAS is a noun. BIASED is an adjective.
A person should never be described as BIAS because ADJECTIVES describe nouns.
It’s proper English to talk about BIASED PEOPLE. A person can BE biased or HAVE a bias. For instance:
I am a biased mom and think my kids are the cutest kids on earth.
I have a BIAS and think my kids are the cutest kids on the earth. OR
I am BIASED – my kids are the cutest kids on earth.
It’s NOT proper to say –
I am bias – my kids are the cutest kids on the earth.
It’s simple! Just remember AM BIASED or HAVE A BIAS. That’s all there is to it. :)

clarification for the nAZI grammy popo

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Hurts because there's some truth to it. Not so much similarities between Yak and Omark but their defenders.
Amazing how defensive some get about a player who hasn't done much, yet.
I think he'll be better. He may never live up to his draft status, though.

Hes just not a very good NHL hockey player.

Which player on the team has done much? Bottom-5 finishes must be all on Yakupov, right? If it wasn't for him, the team would be in the playoffs?

Please, stop with this nonsense. Until this team gets its sh_t together it is too Eakinsesque to demand much from the youngest player when the rest of them, supposedly well established NHL players, can't pull the team out of bottom 5 in the league standing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Which player on the team has done much? Bottom-5 finishes must be all on Yakupov, right? If it wasn't for him, the team would be in the playoffs?

Please, stop with this nonsense. Until this team gets its sh_t together it is too Eakinsesque to demand much from the youngest player when the rest of them, supposedly well established NHL players, can't pull the team out of bottom 5 in the league standing.

If Yakupov was producing offensively like Hall, Eberle, or RNH, no one would be criticizing Yak. He hasn't lived up to expectations, it's not that hard to understand why people get on him.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
If Yakupov was producing offensively like Hall, Eberle, or RNH, no one would be criticizing Yak. He hasn't lived up to expectations, it's not that hard to understand why people get on him.

Is Yak the same age as Hall, Eberle and RNH? Is he making the same money?

And for the record, he is living up to my expectations.

And most important question, if Hall, Eberle and RNH are living up to yours why do we finish bottom-5 every year? I sense a ton of hypocrisy here.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

And most important question, if Hall, Eberle and RNH are living up to yours why do we finish bottom-5 every year? I sense a ton of hypocrisy here.

At the same ages if you dont see a difference between Hall Eberle and RNH, then im sorry and hate to say it...... nah ill keep it to myself.

Nail should be part of the solution for getting out of the bottom 5 at this point. Hes not a 18 year old kid anymore. Hasnt broke 35 points yet.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

In Taylor Hall's third season he had 50 points in 45 games. In Jordan Eberle's second season he had 76 points in 78 games. RNH has put up over 50 points 3 out of 4 seasons (only one he didn't was a lockout season).

Nail Yakupov had a reasonably strong rookie campaign, and his game fell off a cliff in a way the other young guys have not in the last two years. Putting up -33 and -35 in back to back seasons is terrible, regardless of what your thoughts are on +/-. 2 of his 3 seasons are worse than any season the other young guys have ever put up. That's why he deserves the criticism.

Why do the Oilers finish bottom 5 every year? Because they have no defence and are a terribly balanced team, that had brutal coaching the last two seasons, and haven't been able to find a solution in net. That doesn't mean that Yakupov is absolved from his lacklustre play. There is no hypocrisy here. I get that we all love Yak, it doesn't mean he shouldn't take responsibility for his play. He's been as, if not more, underwhelming than Justin Schultz, who gets a hell of a lot more flack than Yak does.

Edit: I mean ****, a large number of people here hated Sam Gagner, and even he never put up a season as bad as Yakupov's last two. How can you not start to question whether Yak has the ability to play at this level? I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm just saying he has a ton to prove this year. Guys with numbers like him end up in the AHL or Europe. Surely it's fair to wonder?

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
At the same ages if you dont see a difference between Hall Eberle and RNH, then im sorry and hate to say it...... nah ill keep it to myself.

Nail should be part of the solution for getting out of the bottom 5 at this point. Hes not a 18 year old kid anymore. Hasnt broke 35 points yet.

Players develop at difference pace.

You haven't answered my question about Hall, Eberle and RNH production. I presume that you are aware that the Oilers are bottom-5 in "goals for" category during last 2 seasons. Hall, Eberle and RNH are supposedly our scoring leaders. And in your opinion they are contributing? Like seriously?

Why do the Oilers finish bottom 5 every year? Because they have no defence and are a terribly balanced team, that had brutal coaching the last two seasons, and haven't been able to find a solution in net. That doesn't mean that Yakupov is absolved from his lacklustre play. There is no hypocrisy here. I get that we all love Yak, it doesn't mean he shouldn't take responsibility for his play. He's been as, if not more, underwhelming than Justin Schultz, who gets a hell of a lot more flack than Yak does.

Bottom-5 in "goals for". See my comment above.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

You haven't answered my question about Hall, Eberle and RNH production. I presume that you are aware that the Oilers are bottom-5 in "goals for" category during last 2 seasons. Hall, Eberle and RNH are supposedly our scoring leaders. And in your opinion they are contributing? Like seriously?

Yes they are SERIOUSLY.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

Oh, ok. So the Oilers don't score enough goals, so you blame the guys that actually do score, and not the guys that don't.

Hall, Eberle, and RNH aren't supposedly our scoring leaders, they are our scoring leaders.

This is absolute nonsense.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Oh, ok. So the Oilers don't score enough goals, so you blame the guys that actually do score, and not the guys that don't.

Hall, Eberle, and RNH aren't supposedly our scoring leaders, they are our scoring leaders.

Just more Yak homerism, I wouldnt worry about it.

Edit: Not you, but who you were replying to.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007

Thank you for confirming your double standards. Bottom-5 GF finishes are good enough for 6M scoring leaders. It's all Yak's fault. Got it.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Thank you for confirming your double standards. Bottom-5 GF finishes are good enough for 6M scoring leaders. It's all Yak's fault. Got it.

Is that what he really just said? Nope, it went way over your head.

Yes more Yaks fault then them 3 players fault. TRUTH

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

I can't tell if you're trolling me or what. But no, you're right. Yak can continue to put up 30 points a year, while RNH, Hall, and Eberle should be putting up 100+.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Our top 3 guys. Hall, RNH and Eberle are producing highly for th past 3 years. We have been bottom 5 in GF finishes because the majority of our points come from 4 players. RNH, Eberle, Hall and either Pouliot or Perron. Our problem is, we have no secondary scoring. We have no scoring from our defense other the Schultz.

For Christ sakes. Hall and Eberle have always been top 5-10 in their position for scoring and RNH has been top 30 for centers while carrying the defensive load. Other then his rookie season Yak hasn't even been close in scoring.

Our bottom 5 gf performance has to do with our players who end up being in our bottom 6 and half the second line. Yak is a huge part of this problem. Scoring more like a 3rd liner then a 2nd liner

But no, blame that on Hall and Eberle who are two of the better scoring wingers in the league.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Reason why there are so many hard Yakupov supporters is we see it as a huge double standard in the media and previous Oilers management.

They wont shut up about Yaks +/- but apparently Eberle or another good ole boy is a year away from a Selke.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Reason why there are so many hard Yakupov supporters is we see it as a huge double standard in the media and previous Oilers management.

They wont shut up about Yaks +/- but apparently Eberle or another good ole boy is a year away from a Selke.

I dont get the double standard arguement? Eberle is proven himself in the top 1/3 of NHL players, and Yak has proven himself in the bottom 1/3 of them same players.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Well for one..

Yakupov's career high in points is 33.
Eberle's career high low is 37... in the lockout year.

Yakupov's +/- this year was -35
Eberle's combined over his entire career in the nhl is -35

Eberle also plays against much higher competetion.

Eberle is not close to a Selke but Eberle is a much better player offensively and defensively AINEC

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Here are RNH, Hall, and Eberle's Finishes in Forward scoring in the NHL for the last 4 years:

2011-12
Eberle 76P Tied for 14th
Hall 53P Tied for 79th despite missing 20 games
RNH 52P Tied for 83rd despite missing 20 games
Average between the 3 = 59th among Forwards

2012-13
Hall 50P 9th
Eberle 37P Tied for 38th
RNH 24P Tied for 122nd
Average between the 3 = 56th among Forwards

2013-14
Hall 80P Tied for 6th
Eberle 65P Tied for 29th
RNH 56P Tied for 58th
Average between the 3 = 31st among Forwards

2014-15
Eberle 63P Tied for 34th
RNH 56P Tied for 55th
Hall 38P Tied for 135th despite missing 30 games
Average between the 3 = 75th among Forwards

Average of the 4 years without even accounting for injuries they rank 55th among forwards. Thats still in the top 2/3 of the league for first line scoring, with their only fully healthy season having them almost in the top 1/3. I think these 3 are the least of the Oilers scoring issues over the past 4 years.

This isn't a post to bash Yak either, as I still believe in him and think he will break out as a 30 goal scorer in the near future, but its just completely wrong to blame the other 3 for lack of scoring when Yak has been much much worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad