Injury Report: Nabokov Injured **Activated**

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
If by the first or second week of December it seems that Poulin and Nilsson just aren't working out, it's time to look elsewhere

I am ok with poulin getting most of the starts, but please tell me what Nilsdon has done to make people think he is ready to be a capable backup?

Every game counts whether in November or March. Just think, if we had a better backup than DP for the first month last year, we would have had 1-2 more wins and a better first round matchup. If Nilsson costs us 2-3 points, it could be the difference between playoffs and lottery

Mustang2750*

I am ok with poulin getting most of the starts, but please tell me what Nilsdon has done to make people think he is ready to be a capable backup?

Every game counts whether in November or March. Just think, if we had a better backup than DP for the first month last year, we would have had 1-2 more wins and a better first round matchup. If Nilsson costs us 2-3 points, it could be the difference between playoffs and lottery

Nabby has already cost us about 6 points so it doesn't really matter at this point. People said the same thing about Poulin not being a capable goalie in the NHL yet he has been impressive thus far. Nilsson may or may not be the same way.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Likely Snow has inquired about one of Hiller/Fasth. But the price may be too much. The Ducks would be in no hurry to deal unless they get something good in return. I think they'd rather ride out Hiller this year than get peanuts for him.

I'd be satisfied with any of top three the Ducks ave in their system (I figure Andersen's got the most upside) but two things to consider

Firstly their defensive is slightly better game-by-game wise so goalie statistics could be misleading

Secondly- I'm wondering if Fasth's hitting the traditional sophomore jinx (granted he's too old be technically classified as one) given his numbers. Hopefully I'm wrong because it's sad if he becomes another Steve Mason

Nilsson did pitch a shutout in his 2nd ever NHL start (1-0 win over NJ. would have been2. was about 90 seconds away from it) but after being sent down he got injured the following year and his game regressed

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
It really should be easy enough to find a AHL goalie who can come here and play well enough. THey will likely only be playing 20% of the time anyway unless Poulin gets injured or ruins his chance of a NHL career by falling apart. For a decade we saw the Isles come up with AHL goalies that had better save % then Dipietro---Poulin one year, Yadi or something like that, Dubie, Montoya, im too tired to come up with the rest but there is probably four or five more.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
i'm not really missing nabby yet. i think this may give snow a bit of incentive to make a move he probably should've in the offseason. garth's a sneaky peanut, holding his cards up to his vest for months. then he drops them and you get a surprise. sometimes it's thomas vanek. sometimes it's someone off the scrap heap who does well... sometimes not so well.
what will be:
1. snow lets poulin show us what he has and gives nilsson some spot duty (backend of a back to back game scenario). this is a good strategy. we have po/ni and they therefore costs us little but, potentially, our patience.
2. if poulin fails and anders looks spooked in his spot duty... garth will be looking on the heap for a guy that theoretically could be in this league, but isn't. it'll be someone from sweden or finland- just a hunch.
3. garth deals a solid prospect or 2 to get his man, X. depletes the pool a bit, but doesn't surrender strome, pulock or reinhardt. preempts the temptation to spend on miller or someone else in the offseason if things work out with X.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This could really hurt our season. Even though nabby hasn't been anything special this year he's still a vet and better then Nilsson

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Nabby has already cost us about 6 points so it doesn't really matter at this point. People said the same thing about Poulin not being a capable goalie in the NHL yet he has been impressive thus far. Nilsson may or may not be the same way.

The question though is why, and the answer is because Capuano had little faith in Poulin so he burnt Nabokov out overplaying him. Not that he was great, just that he took a mediocre tender and burned him...

So we bring up Nilsson, Capuano doesn't trust him... so he relies too much on Poulin... burning him out when he already has issues... Then what, over rely on Nilsson who has sucked this year?

Good thing we kept the ability to use that pick this year...

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
I think I'll just sit back and watch the train wreck.

On the bright side, I doubt that Ratner is going to want to have a team playing in front of a half empty arena IN HIS BUILDING, so by the time the Isles move to Brooklyn, SOMETHING is going to have to change around here.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
This could really hurt our season. Even though nabby hasn't been anything special this year he's still a vet and better then Nilsson

Wait...what?...I thought everyone thought the kids were better than the NHL experienced players? This is what everyone wants. Donovan, Poulin, Nilsson, Nelson, etc. Argh, no Strome, he is a perfect specimen that will dominate 82 games on the calendar with ZERO learning curve. He's ready, just you wait, he's gonna take the league by storm.

giddy up*

We needed a goalie before Nabby got hurt. Now we really need one. If Garth is unwilling to trade (although who saw the Vanek trade coming), at least sign a vet like Theodore to help carry the load. Too bad Bryz was signed.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
The question though is why, and the answer is because Capuano had little faith in Poulin so he burnt Nabokov out overplaying him. Not that he was great, just that he took a mediocre tender and burned him...

So we bring up Nilsson, Capuano doesn't trust him... so he relies too much on Poulin... burning him out when he already has issues... Then what, over rely on Nilsson who has sucked this year?

Good thing we kept the ability to use that pick this year...

There's a chance......not a great chance, but a chance, that this could force Cappy to balance the workload out a little. I'm certain Poulin starts 2 of the next 3 games, and it's up to the hot hand from there.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

Ah, but what if DP and his exile after laughing it up during the Nabby injury was a major influence in the hot streak starting right after DP being kicked out?

Maybe we don't make the postseason with our long hot streak not happening/enduring?

Maybe, just maybe, we needed the bionic blunder to create a catalyst?:yo:

Who knows?

scott99

May 13, 2005
Joey MacDonald was waived for Calgary and sent to the minors. He could be another stop gap....

And he was playing really well in the beginning of the season, surprised by the cut. He played well for us when he was here, maybe not a bad signing if they do it.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
And he was playing really well in the beginning of the season, surprised by the cut. He played well for us when he was here, maybe not a bad signing if they do it.

Poor Butch & Howie, that would mean there could be three MacDonalds on the ice at once.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I'd like to have a few weeks and see how Poulin/Nilsson pan out before the panic button gets hit and the isles look for another option in net. As horrible as this sounds, this Nabokov injury works out for Poulin because now cappy is really forced to give him a solid look.

I'm surprised it took until post 50 for someone to point out the positive aspect of forcing Cappy to give Poulin a longer look. I suppose we'll see how it goes over the next few games!

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Poor Butch & Howie, that would mean there could be three MacDonalds on the ice at once.

Book it. Too hilarious to not be the first option Garth would consider. I listen to broadcast just to hear Butch scramble this up.

Well, I guess Anders Nilsson would do the same with Nielson, Nelson!

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

So, all the points the isles lost to date that may very well cost them a playoff spot would now be transferred to the rookie Nilsson if he 'costs 2-3 points?'

If the Isles played a better overall game they should have ~24/25 points, thus placing them in 1st or 2nd in the weak Metro. But, the rookie goalie being called up due to injury is gonna be the issue...Respectfully, disagree.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
This will show us what we have in Poulin.

and to some extent Nilsson--which is a good thing. Hopefully Cappy gives him a decent amount of starts so management gets a feel of what he can do now and in the future. Who knows maybe they won't need to go out and pay for an big name goalie. Poulin has looked more than serviceable so far, I am hoping he can seize this opportunity and really become our #1.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Trade with the Devils for Keith Kinkaid!

Seriously, he's having a great season for the Albany Devils.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think I'll just sit back and watch the train wreck.

I already hit the distributor and filled up my growlers.

I don't know how you guys do it. To read and post about this stuff. I just don't care.

Ill watch, but I'm not putting my happiness in the W/L column.

Our forwards are uninterested.
Our Coach is lost
Our GM is a backup goalie
Our D is laughable
Our goaltending is old.. oh wait.. now on the DL for 4 weeks.

LOL.. another fantastic season!

But please.. continue on with the "Poulin will step up and be solid and bring alot of W's" attitude!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad