Injury Report: Nabokov Injured **Activated**

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I feel as if Marty Biron would be more of a band aid that won't be solid after roughly 5 games.

I would of loved to give Bryz an offer, but the Oilers got all over that.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
It's been about 12 hours since the injury. I doubt Nabokov's even been fully evaluated yet. The good/bad news is I can guarantee all of us that Garth already has contingency plans for Nabokov going down in an injury..

Acquiring another goalie because Nabby might be out until Christmas doesn't really fit the way we do things.

The only Islesensible* thing to do is recall Nilsson.. the sensible thing to do of course, was to not enter the season with Nabokov and Poulin as our goalies.. but we've beat that horse in 5+ other threads I'm sure..

We'll get through our Tuesday game with Poulin and Nilsson.. by then we'll have a solid idea of where Nabokov is at.. go from there..

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
* Islesensible - I'll-sen-suh-bull - adjective: a move or action that makes sense only to Garth Snow, and if explained to him properly by Snow, possibly Charles Wang.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
There's no way of knowing, because Snow will do his Bill Belichick routine. The only way we'll know is if Snow signs or trades for a goalie to a 1-way contract. That will indicate that the injury to Nabokov is long-term.

It's pretty clear that IF there's any dropoff from Nabokov to Poulin, it's really small. The only way that this significantly hurts the team is that now if Poulin gets hurt, we're utterly screwed. Nilsson has an 88% save percentage in the AHL. I've only watched highlights, but if we think Poulin is an adventure on rebounds, Nilsson appears to be a bad Jackass episode.

This is a really bad situation to be in. The problems in net this year were obviously foreseeable. It's on management.

You aren't wrong on any of this but there are several caveats and stipulations I will throw in.

First on Nilsson's save percentage. It's weak, and his play has been less than I expected. But if you think the Islanders have a lot of defensive breakdowns, surrender a lot of odd man rushes and or breakaways, and struggle to clear the zone, well then my friend you should catch a Sound Tigers game. The last 2 seasons (at least) but specifically under Pellerin the team has been complete garbage in it's own end.

Also Bridgeport this weekend has iced defenceman Mike Cornell, Sean Escabedo, Mike Keenan, Dallas Jackson... WHO?

Up with the big club are Donovan and Ness

Injured are Finley, Pedan, Cantin and now Mike Dalhuisen as well

They are dropping like flies. The last few games I have watched opponents streak down the slot with clear lanes and just riffle pucks on Nilsson trying to pick corners all night long practically uncontested. Nilsson doesn't have a prayer of controlling rebounds in these situations. I'm just thankful he stops the puck most of the time. My big issue with him, is recovery time. He goes down and stays down, and his lateral movement hasn't been there this season. Those are my concerns, not rebound control at this point.

As for the problems easily foreseeable and it's managements fault? That depends. Is this season the end all be all? if you think yes, then absolutely management blew it by not improving the goaltending situation. If it's more about future seasons (and I think it is) then allowing a situation to develop where Poulin AND Nilsson both get a lot of minutes and both see NHL time is'nt a bad idea. Decisions need to be made on these guys VERY soon if not immediately. They have invested 5 years in each so far, it's time to see where Poulin/Nilsson are at over the next 6 months before major changes are made.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Also Bridgeport this weekend has iced defenceman Mike Cornell, Sean Escabedo, Mike Keenan, Dallas Jackson... WHO?

Fair enough, but that brings up another question: do we want to develop Strome under those conditions?

My big issue with him, is recovery time. He goes down and stays down, and his lateral movement hasn't been there this season. Those are my concerns, not rebound control at this point.

If that's the case, then Nilsson won't be much different than what we've had for the last few years.

As for the problems easily foreseeable and it's managements fault? That depends. Is this season the end all be all? if you think yes, then absolutely management blew it by not improving the goaltending situation. If it's more about future seasons (and I think it is) then allowing a situation to develop where Poulin AND Nilsson both get a lot of minutes and both see NHL time is'nt a bad idea. Decisions need to be made on these guys VERY soon if not immediately. They have invested 5 years in each so far, it's time to see where Poulin/Nilsson are at over the next 6 months before major changes are made.

Well, the way I see it, this team has a 3-5 year window. This team needs to be a perennial playoff team very shortly, or the back-end of JT's bargain-basement contract is going to get ugly. Even the nicest, most professional players are going to want to see support from management, and if they don't get it, they're going to want to leave.

What bugs me is the missed opportunities. Whether it was about this year or not, the opportunities were there, and opportunities in the goaltending market aren't improving going forward.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
In the Isles annual effort to cheap out, it's first line winger, best all around defenseman, and 'starting' goaltender are out with injuries. The replacements: rookies or players with minimal NHL experience.

Yay! Play the kids, all the kids! Kids blow defensive coverage, let in weak goals, are inconsistent in scoring goals, and cave under pressure. Hmm...but play the kids! They are awesome.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Lawson? Haha...come on maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle with some random that stands on their head for a season...no?

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
You aren't wrong on any of this but there are several caveats and stipulations I will throw in.

First on Nilsson's save percentage. It's weak, and his play has been less than I expected. But if you think the Islanders have a lot of defensive breakdowns, surrender a lot of odd man rushes and or breakaways, and struggle to clear the zone, well then my friend you should catch a Sound Tigers game. The last 2 seasons (at least) but specifically under Pellerin the team has been complete garbage in it's own end.

Up with the big club are Donovan and Ness

Injured are Finley, Pedan, Cantin and now Mike Dalhuisen as well

They are dropping like flies. The last few games I have watched opponents streak down the slot with clear lanes and just riffle pucks on Nilsson trying to pick corners all night long practically uncontested. Nilsson doesn't have a prayer of controlling rebounds in these situations. I'm just thankful he stops the puck most of the time. My big issue with him, is recovery time. He goes down and stays down, and his lateral movement hasn't been there this season. Those are my concerns, not rebound control at this point.

I definitely dont have a problem in seeing both Poulin and Nilsson in the NHL for a little bit to see how they look....BUT I have a feeling 1 of 2 things will happen, this offseason we wont sign another goalie because 1) Nilsson and Poulin play fairly well and they will go with that option or 2) they dont play "enough to make an assessment" and therefore we wont sign a goalie before we know what we have.

Jaded isles fan? Yes...but is this not something we have heard over and over ?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I think a couple weeks is VERY optimistic.

If I had to take a bet between 2 weeks or career ending.... well Nabbys last game of his career had a .000 SV%

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
How they haven't called Anaheim is beyond me. 3 very good goalies over there. Pick one and send him to us.

Hard to do now, we are working from a severe position of weakness so they would be asking for the moon. Should have been done in the summer but....:shakehead

scott99

May 13, 2005
Isles don't play again till Tuesday. Nilsson will be up today and there is a decent enough amount of time to make a trade.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Has anybody noticed that 3 of the top 10 goalies GAA in the league are guys we had a chance to get with any kind of reasonable trade offer (Bernier, Bishop and Schneider). Those were the kind of trades that were worth parting with a first round pick, and prospects for.

Even the most ardent Snow supporter cannot argue that fact, he failed to upgrade our weakest position when there were a number of options available and there is absolutely no doubt that we could have beat any of the offers for those three guys. Now look where we are

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
No trade will happen.. Look for the Isles to grab a washed up scrub like Biron to come play backup. They are gonna ride the Poulin/Nillson tandem till the end cause its cheap. This team is so poorly built that how Garth Snow has a job after this season is a miracle. Then again with Chairman Wang running the operation, it's a no brainer.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Ummmm.....have we forgotten this is the NYI Franchise we are talking about.

No trades coming, no signing of anyone. They will call up Nilsson and make Poulin the number one till Nabakov comes back. The sad part is that Capuano now has yet another excuse to save his job. Not only can he cite the injury to the defense, he can now say I didn't have a netminder either.

Trading for or signing someone, that's a good one. Needed a laugh this morning.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Likely Snow has inquired about one of Hiller/Fasth. But the price may be too much. The Ducks would be in no hurry to deal unless they get something good in return. I think they'd rather ride out Hiller this year than get peanuts for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The price it would cost to get one of the top guys via trade would be even more now that we are "desperate". Teams like BUF and ANA hold all the cards

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Has anybody noticed that 3 of the top 10 goalies GAA in the league are guys we had a chance to get with any kind of reasonable trade offer (Bernier, Bishop and Schneider). Those were the kind of trades that were worth parting with a first round pick, and prospects for.

Even the most ardent Snow supporter cannot argue that fact, he failed to upgrade our weakest position when there were a number of options available and there is absolutely no doubt that we could have beat any of the offers for those three guys. Now look where we are

The last couple games goaltending has NOT been the problem... :shakehead. The defense has and Snow should have went after one more guy or at least kept Reinhart up to see what he has. I was a Bernier guy but if LA didn't want Niño+ what were you willing to give up for him? If Snow gave up too much you would have been the first one *****ing about it so stop.

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
the good news of this injury is that we will call up a new young goalie and there's always a potential we find a hidden pearl and get a solid goaltender (not that Poulin hasn't been good, but another option is always welcomed)

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I really hope they don't plan on having Nilsson up riding the bench for a few weeks. Can't be good for his development, especially after missing all of last season.

I would rather just find some journeyman that can play when there is a back to back to spell Poulin. Send Calgary a 5th for Joey MacDonald.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
the good news of this injury is that we will call up a new young goalie and there's always a potential we find a hidden pearl and get a solid goaltender (not that Poulin hasn't been good, but another option is always welcomed)

It seems like Nilsson is going to get a chance and Poulin will have to carry the load for the time being. All indications point to Snow wanting to fully evaluate the in house options and then making a decision on the long term goaltending solution in the offseason. It's a definitely gamble, but this has always seemed like the likely plan in the offseason.

Many people have considered Nilsson to be the better prospect than Poulin, it should be interesting to see how things unfold.

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
i feel this is the right move. no need to go out looking for a band-aid right now, unless nabby's injury is more serious than we're being told.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I'd like to have a few weeks and see how Poulin/Nilsson pan out before the panic button gets hit and the isles look for another option in net. As horrible as this sounds, this Nabokov injury works out for Poulin because now cappy is really forced to give him a solid look.
Also, I'm not really panicing about this injury because let's be honest, Nabokov hasn't been a world beater this season. Save percentage below .900 and a GAA above 3.00. Yes the D has been garbage as well and it hasn't been all nabbys fault, but he has not played well either.
If by the first or second week of December it seems that Poulin and Nilsson just aren't working out, it's time to look elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad