Injury Report: Nabokov Injured **Activated**

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Islanders are expecting Nabby to be out for at least a couple weeks:

Coach Jack Capuano said after the Islanders' 5-4 shootout victory that he had no update on Nabokov's condition, other than that he would be re-evaluated Monday, but that he expected the 38-year-old goaltender to miss "at least a couple of weeks."

We are going to need a back up obviously so what are our options here? Sign Hedberg? Make a call up?

Link:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=691868

UPDATE

@StapeNewsday: Anders Nilsson will join #Isles tomorrow. No plans to look outside org yet, though Nabokov injury seems to be 4+ weeks.

https://twitter.com/stapenewsday/sta...91513318621184

Last edited:

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
Will Probably go w Poulin and Nillson, until they crap out and they will ... Hedberg works in
NJ front office, no ? Don't have much to offer teams to trade for anyone, not that anyone
is even on the market ... This will be interesting ... Maybe Jose Theodore or Dp ... ( sorry but possible considering the 'idiots running this asylum" ...

imetbossy

Mar 13, 2012
Crazy how well Talbot playing for the rags ..granted he has a solid D around him and a real coach, but this team just hasn't had a real solid presence in net since Billy Smith ,,, (Osgood came close ).... Sad...

giddy up*

How they haven't called Anaheim is beyond me. 3 very good goalies over there. Pick one and send him to us.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
They'll bring up Nilsson and ride him and Poulin. In fact it'll give the Islanders an opportunity to glimpse into their future and see what lies ahead. If Poulin fails now Snow might be forced to trade for a goalie unless Nilsson somehow steps up, but if he does fine he has an opportunity now to see if he can be the Isles goalie of the future.

Pnut

How they haven't called Anaheim is beyond me. 3 very good goalies over there. Pick one and send him to us.

You make it sound so easy. I don't know if that is evèr going to be Snows style. But I guess you're being sarcastic.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
Trade Andersen in Ducks, he is making 1 mio a year and I assume he is not happy with playing in Norfolk the rest of the season.

Return price would be a bit steep especially with Hiller still not resigned but this would definitely be the best option without giving up an arm and a leg for a rental

I'm thinking the same thing

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
I doubt they sign someone for the rest of the season because one guy is out for a couple weeks.

Guessing it will be more than a couple of weeks. An older goalie who went down like that? I smell 4-6 weeks.

That said, Poulin and Nilsson is what we got and what we will be stuck with because I have zero confidence that Snow will make significant move.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
I dont want Hedberg but he lives close wants to stay close and could probably sign some sort of 30 day pto contract back up Poulin until Nabby is back and then take his scouting gig back over in Jersey.

Outside of some unexpected blockbuster deal for a goalie I would be shocked to see anyone not name Nilsson or Hedberg

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Guessing it will be more than a couple of weeks. An older goalie who went down like that? I smell 4-6 weeks.

There's no way of knowing, because Snow will do his Bill Belichick routine. The only way we'll know is if Snow signs or trades for a goalie to a 1-way contract. That will indicate that the injury to Nabokov is long-term.

It's pretty clear that IF there's any dropoff from Nabokov to Poulin, it's really small. The only way that this significantly hurts the team is that now if Poulin gets hurt, we're utterly screwed. Nilsson has an 88% save percentage in the AHL. I've only watched highlights, but if we think Poulin is an adventure on rebounds, Nilsson appears to be a bad Jackass episode.

This is a really bad situation to be in. The problems in net this year were obviously foreseeable. It's on management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad