GDT: Mystery Puck Night Tonight (1/9/15) at GRA vs. Nashville

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They sure are. What this team is doing is nothing short of a miracle. I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop because I picked them bottom 5 this year. I mean, we aren't loaded with talent, and teams like Buffalo, Colorado, Edmonton and Calgary to name a few are farther ahead on their rebuild.

It's nice we have a hockey buzz correspondent, but he is pretty much clueless.

When DT switched the D pairing, both Murphy and Stone started to play like last year. That has been a big difference. All 4 lines are playing well.

It would be nice if our correspondent didn't have his own agenda and didn't get upset every time the results didn't match his fancy stats. We all know we are overachieving. We don't need that rubbed in our faces every day. This is a year about building excitement and inspiring a fanbase but that story doesn't get told as he'd rather promote his perspective.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It would be nice if our correspondent didn't have his own agenda and didn't get upset every time the results didn't match his fancy stats. We all know we are overachieving. We don't need that rubbed in our faces every day. This is a year about building excitement and inspiring a fanbase but that story doesn't get told as he'd rather promote his perspective.

We need someone like you on hockeyBuzz.:nod:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Who is our correspondent? If the articles reference corsi early and frequently I probably just closed it. I think some advanced stats are helpful (unusually high or low shooting percentages, offensive zone starts and who players match up against mostly) but I don't think corsi is any better then + - really. Like plus minus it has it's uses occasionally but I think people over value it.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Anyone know what kind of unfinished business exists between these two teams? It looked like a line brawl was going to break out before the puck drop. It was very, very chippy and at times dirty. Both teams took liberties. There's no rivalry between the teams, so is this the Ribiero effect? I was surprised by the level of animosity.

My guess was that it was something to do with Johanssen from when they played Columbus a few weeks ago. That was Tortorella's first or second game with them and got really chippy.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

I would think he'd get a lot of support on here from all the folks who *also* keep emphasizing how much we're over-achieving (until, of course, we stop, then they point out how awful we always were), and almost still seem to think it's last year and we should be tanking for Matthews.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The only thing I didn't like about the game is that Domi only got 12+ mins and Duclair barely over 13 mins.

I'd really like to see Tippett keep these guys around 16+ mins a night. I know there will be times when it's going to be a little short if we're in the box the whole night, but we weren't last night.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It was a physical game and Nashville made a point to hit both every time they could, more so than some of veterans. I think that has something to do with it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only thing I didn't like about the game is that Domi only got 12+ mins and Duclair barely over 13 mins.

I'd really like to see Tippett keep these guys around 16+ mins a night. I know there will be times when it's going to be a little short if we're in the box the whole night, but we weren't last night.

It's weird that Domi and Duclair's ice time has been continuing to drop over the last few games.

Baby steps.

It was a physical game and Nashville made a point to hit both every time they could, more so than some of veterans. I think that has something to do with it.

That is the way the teams are starting to play Domi and Duclair. They will learn how to adjust, I hope.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Domi looks like he has hit a bit of a wall in recent games. Hence the decline in minutes. Best game we've seen in awhile from Duclair as he had been somewhat struggling in recent weeks. This is part of the process.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Domi looks like he has hit a bit of a wall in recent games. Hence the decline in minutes. Best game we've seen in awhile from Duclair as he had been somewhat struggling in recent weeks. This is part of the process.

....and expected.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

I found that really egregious. Better not give them too much ice time, otherwise they might score like Peter Forsberg again. Can't have that.

We should increase Richardson's ice time some more.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I found that really egregious. Better not give them too much ice time, otherwise they might score like Peter Forsberg again. Can't have that.

We should increase Richardson's ice time some more.

Upon further review I recall that both of these kids are, well, kids. They're rookies. Limiting their minutes allows them to grow without putting them into too many vulnerable situations. They're getting the right amount of ice time.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There was a time when Domi was mixing it up in the crease area. And I seem to recall him and Neal getting into some crosschecking in the corner at lest once. May have had as much to do with keeping certain players out so as not to put them in an ugly situation.

Right now, we just look like we are not skipping a beat. There are some misplays and bad plays here and there, but we are coming up big in controlling transition. We are finding the open ice on offense and collapsing effectively on defense. Don't really care how the minutes are spread as long as the quality play like that is present.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Last night was one of our best played games of the year. The team is jelling and winning for whatever reason. The second half of the season is harder for rookies and teams make adjustments for high profile ones like Domi/Duclair. They will get more minutes as they progress or less as needed in certain situations. They are progressing just fine and it is normal for rookie production and sometimes minutes to slow down mid season.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Last night was one of our best played games of the year. The team is jelling and winning for whatever reason. The second half of the season is harder for rookies and teams make adjustments for high profile ones like Domi/Duclair. They will get more minutes as they progress or less as needed in certain situations. They are progressing just fine and it is normal for rookie production and sometimes minutes to slow down mid season.

Yeah I haven't been disappointed with the minutes at all this year. Only when injuries hit and Chip was in our top six, have I had a problem with injuries.

Otherwise very happy with the minutes distributed to the rookies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is concerning on the surface of it:

2nd worst GA/gp in WC
Worst ShotsFor/gp in NHL
Best Shooting % in WC

Through the first 41 that looks a a team vastly overachieving and ready for a fall.

That said, I'd really like to see what those numbers look like in Wins v Losses. It's possible the our average in games that we've won is more sustainable and that we've just lost in some whacky games. There's no easy way to get those numbers, though, and I don't have time to do the long hand from 41 box scores.

EDIT: in 15 of our 21 wins, we were outshot by our opponent. Not so good in terms of projecting the sustainability of our success so far.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Upon further review I recall that both of these kids are, well, kids. They're rookies. Limiting their minutes allows them to grow without putting them into too many vulnerable situations. They're getting the right amount of ice time.

There was a time when Domi was mixing it up in the crease area. And I seem to recall him and Neal getting into some crosschecking in the corner at lest once. May have had as much to do with keeping certain players out so as not to put them in an ugly situation.

Right now, we just look like we are not skipping a beat. There are some misplays and bad plays here and there, but we are coming up big in controlling transition. We are finding the open ice on offense and collapsing effectively on defense. Don't really care how the minutes are spread as long as the quality play like that is present.

Yup, I agree with you guys.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It's weird that Domi and Duclair's ice time has been continuing to drop over the last few games.

Weird because their ice time has dropped off, or that it coincides with the team winning more?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Weird because their ice time has dropped off, or that it coincides with the team winning more?

This is about the time in the season where the rookies hit the wall and are worn out. It's really not a problem.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

2nd worst GA/gp in WC
Worst ShotsFor/gp in NHL
Best Shooting % in WC

Through the first 41 that looks a a team vastly overachieving and ready for a fall.

That said, I'd really like to see what those numbers look like in Wins v Losses. It's possible the our average in games that we've won is more sustainable and that we've just lost in some whacky games. There's no easy way to get those numbers, though, and I don't have time to do the long hand from 41 box scores.

EDIT: in 15 of our 21 wins, we were outshot by our opponent. Not so good in terms of projecting the sustainability of our success so far.

If I didn't know better, I'd think that the team was rebuilding, based upon your stats.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

2nd worst GA/gp in WC
Worst ShotsFor/gp in NHL
Best Shooting % in WC

For me, this year isn't about winning, it's about the progression of rookies and team overall etc. We are rebuilding, overachieving at the moment so a fall should/could be expected. Not much to complain about.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004

2nd worst GA/gp in WC
Worst ShotsFor/gp in NHL
Best Shooting % in WC

It feels like the usual successful Tippett Coyotes hockey season to be honest:

- When we win, it generally is by the skin of our teeth
- When we lose, it is not often so close
- We are going through significant winning and losing streaks

Basically it looks like the destiny of this team is mostly based around goaltending. When Smith started good, we were well. He faded/gotinjured/lindbacked and we were poor.

Now Domingue is playing out of his mind, the defense has regained confidence so we are back.

We need a comforting level of goaltending to survive. So it really can go either way during the second half of the season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For me, this year isn't about winning, it's about the progression of rookies and team overall etc. We are rebuilding, overachieving at the moment so a fall should/could be expected. Not much to complain about.

That's fair. As long as the young guys are progressing and the team is consistently working hard in games, I'm fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad