Myers or Hutton, This Year

(ignore contract/side) 2019-20 only, Myers or Hutton

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
So let’s see Brandon benning discuses hockey and is able to be considered a valued opinion on hockey but we discuss hockey and aren’t.....then off course saying a hockey player being waived means they are a bad player (ex. Markstrom and Martin St. Louis) then follows that up by saying we can’t use stats to show who’s worse but only appeals to authority.

like how is this troll still allowed to post here.

Could be *Ryan Miller's 50th dupe account for all we know.

Its funny because he was even arguing with Jets fans on how Myers is as a player despite them watching every game he played over him. Truly amusing.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
You are literally clueless on Myers as a player to the point of even arguing with Jets fans on how Myers as a player. Thats pathetic on your part. Myers sucks defensively. Hutton atleast has more upside.

Once again. Stop embarrassing yourself already. Benning mouth breathers are stupid and toxic as usual I see.
He’s not wrong...Myers doesn’t suck defensively at all. He’s twice the defenceman Hutton is.

Reactions: Uhmkay

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
He’s not wrong...Myers doesn’t suck defensively at all. He’s twice the defenceman Hutton is.

Easily wrong.
Myers sucks defensively. He was sheltered for a reason. Saying hes twice the dman Hutton shows you have zero idea of what you are typing at this moment. Funny now that Hutton is no longer a Canuck, people are shitting on him.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
This thread is a trainwreck. Just went back the last few pages, wow.

Anyways, voted Hutton because I want to the see the guy that played 22 minutes a night with Stecher get a full season like that instead of watching the poor guy get victimized by Gudbranson night after night. I can't recall ever seeing a guy pillage his own teammate as badly as Gudbranson did all season long. Hutton looked great this year when paired with an actually good partner, he and Stecher were eating top pairing minutes for a stretch successfully when Edler and Tanev went down until they eventually wore down themselves, did the Hutton critics forget about that whole stretch? Or just don't watch the games?

I am convinced that people hate Hutton because they either don't watch the games only highlights/stats, or have the attention span of a goldfish and are unable to realize that the reason the puck went in the back of the net is because Gudbranson took himself out of the play shortly before passing it up the middle creating a 2 on 1 for Hutton to try to defend, or the held the puck until all options were gone and the forecheckers were on both him and Hutton and he makes a brutal pass to Hutton in the corner when he's already covered, etc.

Guddy had a talent for dumping his mistakes on his partner, thus making his partner look terrible and avoiding looking directly responsible for being penned in his own zone every shift if you weren't paying attention to the short sequence of events that occurred immediately prior.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This thread is a trainwreck. Just went back the last few pages, wow.

Anyways, voted Hutton because I want to the see the guy that played 22 minutes a night with Stecher get a full season like that instead of watching the poor guy get victimized by Gudbranson night after night. I can't recall ever seeing a guy pillage his own teammate as badly as Gudbranson did all season long. Hutton looked great this year when paired with an actually good partner, he and Stecher were eating top pairing minutes for a stretch successfully when Edler and Tanev went down until they eventually wore down themselves, did the Hutton critics forget about that whole stretch? Or just don't watch the games?

I am convinced that people hate Hutton because they either don't watch the games only highlights/stats, or have the attention span of a goldfish and are unable to realize that the reason the puck went in the back of the net is because Gudbranson took himself out of the play shortly before passing it up the middle creating a 2 on 1 for Hutton to try to defend, or the held the puck until all options were gone and the forecheckers were on both him and Hutton and he makes a brutal pass to Hutton in the corner when he's already covered, etc.

Guddy had a talent for dumping his mistakes on his partner, thus making his partner look terrible and avoiding looking directly responsible for being penned in his own zone every shift if you weren't paying attention to the short sequence of events that occurred immediately prior.

Gudbranson may have been the worst NHL defenseman I've ever watched. It is perhaps a gift from the hockey gods that I was in attendance live for probably his worst game as a Canuck when they played in Vegas two years ago. That guy was a black hole of suck that comes around maybe once a decade in a Canucks uniform and you're not wrong about anything you're saying.

Hutton was a legit second pairing defenseman with potential on this team. However, there were limitations to his game and bizarre gaps in his defensive game that simply should not have been there. Even with these negatives he still played 22 minutes a night and brought an infectious enthusiasm to the team.

It was terrible this organization just cast him off for nothing when he deserved much better. But even with all that, I think it's a fair bet that Myers will be a better defenseman.

But as I've said multiple times, I haven't had my eyes on Myers in a critical fashion since his Buffalo days. So I will have to reserve judgment until we see him in September.

In a lot of ways, I think casting Myers as a Hutton replacement is a mistake since our blueline was so putrid last season, Myers replacing any number of guys would be a positive.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Easily wrong.
Myers sucks defensively. He was sheltered for a reason. Saying hes twice the dman Hutton shows you have zero idea of what you are typing at this moment. Funny now that Hutton is no longer a Canuck, people are ****ting on him.
1st of all, I’m not ****ting on Hutton at all. I liked him here as a bottom pairing guy on the left side. I think Jordie Benn is more suitable for that role anyway. Myers was not sheltered. He had Byfuglien and Trouba ahead of him on the depth chart of corse they’re going to play more than him because they’re better. He’s still a top 4 dman and not awful defensively

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
1st of all, I’m not ****ting on Hutton at all. I liked him here as a bottom pairing guy on the left side. I think Jordie Benn is more suitable for that role anyway. Myers was not sheltered. He had Byfuglien and Trouba ahead of him on the depth chart of corse they’re going to play more than him because they’re better. He’s still a top 4 dman and not awful defensively

Then when big buff went down why did Myers minutes and usage not change?

Reactions: Sayonara77

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Myers right now is basically like a serviceable Top-4 ~$4M defenceman with exceptional height for an extra half million or so superfluous dollars. Very overpaid because he was sadly probably the best option on the market. But he should at least have a couple years where he can be better than he was in Winnipeg where he was stuck behind Trouba and Byfuglien as RHD.

Hutton is basically in the same sort of tier as Nathan Beaulieu, who just signed a $1M extension with the Jets and that's honestly about fair. Hutton may be marginally better in some respects, but worse in others. Plus, less physical and more prone to slumps at the wrong time. That's the sort of player he really is. He just hasn't progressed from his startling success as a rookie. Very likeable like Eddie Lack. Still useful as a player. Just not really great at anything and prone to bouts of being an actual liability. You want this guy on your bottom pairing where he can hopefully lie low and skate himself out of trouble a bit when he has to.

Take salaries out of it, and as much as i've never liked Myers game...it's an absurdly easy question. You take the better player, and that's still Myers by a comfortable margin.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

Suggesting Myers is twice the Dman Hutton is a pure example of shitting on Hutton. This isnt Barrie we are talking about, its Tyler f***ing Myers.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Suggesting Myers is twice the Dman Hutton is a pure example of ****ting on Hutton. This isnt Barrie we are talking about, its Tyler ****ing Myers.

In terms of offence he is, Hutton has average about 10 esp a season his career. Myers at least 20 to 25 esp.

We always talk about so little offence from the D. Now we get a D that can put up some points and for some reason, some users prefer the D that doesn't put up much points.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Suggesting Myers is twice the Dman Hutton is a pure example of ****ting on Hutton. This isnt Barrie we are talking about, its Tyler ****ing Myers.

Myers certainly isn't Barrie...but Hutton isn't exactly much either. What is Hutton, in terms of comparable players around the league?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Then when big buff went down why did Myers minutes and usage not change?

You do realize this is false right? Not only did his minutes and usage increase, but he actually played quite well for the Jets when he had more ice-time. Have a look at Ray Ferraro’s comments on team 1040 (8th to 10th minute, he talks about what he saw from Myers). Ferraro watched almost every Jets game last year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

He is 1.5x the offensive Dman Hutton is but worse than Hutton without the puck in a more sheltered role, not playing with Gudbranson.

I suspect this wont be evident to a group of posters here untill Myers is gone.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In terms of offence he is, Hutton has average about 10 esp a season his career. Myers at least 20 to 25 esp.

We always talk about so little offence from the D. Now we get a D that can put up some points and for some reason, some users prefer the D that doesn't put up much points.

Being better offensively than Hutton doesnt make him twice the dman Hutton is. This isnt hard.

Also Hutton is better defensively.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Myers certainly isn't Barrie...but Hutton isn't exactly much either. What is Hutton, in terms of comparable players around the league?

Hutton has shown hes a capable second pairing D when not saddled with Gudbranson. His play has inproved without that pylon of a partner. He also has more upside than Myers.

People act like Myers is a major upgrade over Hutton when in reality he really isnt. Myers went from underrated to overrated since June 30.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It’s not so much bad luck as it is a bad partner. He had an even +/- last season when he wasn’t with Gudbranson.
Because he was mostly with Stecher when he wasn't with Gudbranson and Stecher is a bit of a water carrier for his d partner.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hutton has shown hes a capable second pairing D when not saddled with Gudbranson. His play has inproved without that pylon of a partner. He also has more upside than Myers.

People act like Myers is a major upgrade over Hutton when in reality he really isnt. Myers went from underrated to overrated since June 30.

Hutton has shown that he can be a Beaulieu calibre defenceman overall. He can look alright if you put Tanev beside him, where literally everyone looks fine.

The idea that Hutton somehow has a ton more "upside" to realize is sillier than the thing people argued about Luca Sbisa when the Canucks acquired him. Sbisa was actually younger at that point even. Hutton is 26 now. Sbisa was effectively 25 when the Canucks acquired him, and people were rabidly insistent that at that point, "he is what he is". Defencemen don't tend to just randomly get a lot better after that point. Hutton isn't likely to suddenly blossom into an actual Top-4D. Anything can happen...it just isn't likely.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Hutton = Gillis guy = 26 = still has tons of time to improve and still has upside.

Juolevi = Benning guy = 20/21 = done! Bust! Stick a fork in him! Poo in his cornflakes.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hutton has shown that he can be a Beaulieu calibre defenceman overall. He can look alright if you put Tanev beside him, where literally everyone looks fine.

The idea that Hutton somehow has a ton more "upside" to realize is sillier than the thing people argued about Luca Sbisa when the Canucks acquired him. Sbisa was actually younger at that point even. Hutton is 26 now. Sbisa was effectively 25 when the Canucks acquired him, and people were rabidly insistent that at that point, "he is what he is". Defencemen don't tend to just randomly get a lot better after that point. Hutton isn't likely to suddenly blossom into an actual Top-4D. Anything can happen...it just isn't likely.

Beaulieu is a #6-7 d-man that most sabres fans don't care for, while Hutton is a servicable middle second pairing D-man who can log heavy minutes on the top pairing when they are injuries. Bealieu a fringe defenceman is unable to do replicate what Hutton has done in the later half of the season. You're evaluation of Hutton is extremely poor at this moment.

"Ton more upside", maybe you shouldn't put words in people's mouth, because suggesting Hutton has more upside than Myers is not akin to saying he has ton more upside than the latter. Hutton is in his prime, he's definitely closer to a top 4-D than he is of a bottom pairing D.

Reactions: MS

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Hutton = Gillis guy = 26 = still has tons of time to improve and still has upside.

Juolevi = Benning guy = 20/21 = done! Bust! Stick a fork in him! Poo in his cornflakes.

It's okay, you atleast tried.

giphy.gif

Reactions: xtra

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Myers right now is basically like a serviceable Top-4 ~$4M defenceman with exceptional height for an extra half million or so superfluous dollars. Very overpaid because he was sadly probably the best option on the market. But he should at least have a couple years where he can be better than he was in Winnipeg where he was stuck behind Trouba and Byfuglien as RHD.

Hutton is basically in the same sort of tier as Nathan Beaulieu, who just signed a $1M extension with the Jets and that's honestly about fair. Hutton may be marginally better in some respects, but worse in others. Plus, less physical and more prone to slumps at the wrong time. That's the sort of player he really is. He just hasn't progressed from his startling success as a rookie. Very likeable like Eddie Lack. Still useful as a player. Just not really great at anything and prone to bouts of being an actual liability. You want this guy on your bottom pairing where he can hopefully lie low and skate himself out of trouble a bit when he has to.

Take salaries out of it, and as much as i've never liked Myers game...it's an absurdly easy question. You take the better player, and that's still Myers by a comfortable margin.

I agree with your Myers take but I think Hutton is much better than you give him credit for. Having Gudbranson for your most common D partner will make anyone look worse.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I agree with your Myers take but I think Hutton is much better than you give him credit for. Having Gudbranson for your most common D partner will make anyone look worse.

I like Hutton and feel like he took major strides last year, but there was also enough body of work *without* Gudbranson to evaluate Hutton on.

Hutton is an excellent 3rd pairing dman that can fill in fairly well on a 2nd pairing if there are injuries. He’s what I’d like to call a “4.33” (better than a typical number 5 but not quite top 4 material). Those type of guys shouldn’t be earning more than 3 million a year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

You say that, but all three of Gudbranson's relevant partners in Pittsburgh somehow saw an uptick in their CF% when paired with that handsome ass boat anchor. :dunno:

The chemistry with Hutton-Gudbranson never really materialized, but i think the blame kinda goes both ways. Gudbranson wasn't anywhere near as good a stabilizing presence as he was supposed to be. Also, hurt always. Hutton was nowhere near the caliber of puck-mover he was supposed to be. Gudbranson seems to have settled back into a niche he fits in Pittsburgh, as just...being what he is.

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad