My updated 2012 top 60

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I know people are going to say this guy should be top 10 or top 5 and this guy should be 1st round, why don't you like him, just know this draft is amazing, there are guys in the 2nd round who would go top 10 in some drafts, and I would love to put guys in the 2nd round up to 1st round but it was impossible, there are only 30 spots and even guys I have ranked 20th and stuff I would love to put higher, but really this draft is beyond sick.

I have Ryan Murray down some spots because I think by end of next year guys like Ebert, Trouba, Reinhart might pass him talent wise...even guys like Matheson, Koekkoek, Maatta, Pouliot, Reilly have the potential to possibly surpass him as well, it does not mean I do not like Murray just there is that much talent.

1. Mikhail Grigorenko—F—Red Army MHL
2. Nail Yakupov—Forward—Sarnia
3. Nick Ebert—Defense—Windsor
4. Alex Galchenyuk—Forward—Sarnia
5. Jacob Trouba—Defense—NTDP U17
6. Griffin Reinhart—Defense—Edmonton
7. Ryan Murray—Defense—Everett
8. Michael Matheson—Defense—Lac St Louis
9. Slater Koekkoek—Defense—Petterborough
10. Henrik Samuelsson—F—NTDP U17
11. Jordan Schmaltz—D—Souix City
12. Olli Maatta—Defense—JYP Minor
13. Filip Forsberg—Forward—Leksand U20
14. Derrick Pouliot—Defense—Portland
15. Morgan Reilly--Defence—Moose Jaw
16. Matia Marcantuoni—F—Kitchener
17. Matt Dumba—Defense—Red Deer
18. Sebastian Collberg—F—Mariestad J20
19. Oscar Dansk—Goalie—Brynas J20
20. Matthew Campagna—F—Sudbury
21. Brendan Gaunce—F—Belleville
22. Francois Tremblay—G—Val-d’Or
23. Niklas Folin—Defense—Frolunda J18
24. Martin Frk—Forward--Halifax
25. Zemgus Girgensons--F--Dubuque USHL
26. Cody Ceci—Defense—Ottawa
27. Dillon Fournier—D—Lewiston
28. AJ Michaelson—Forward—Apple Valley
29. Dylan Bigell—D—Brampton Battalion
30. Troy Bourke—F—Prince George

31. Nicolas Kerdiles—F—USA NTDP U17
32. Adam Pelech—Defense—Erie
33. Dominic Poulin—Defense—Chicoutimi
34. Charles Hudon—Forward—Chicoutimi
35. Frank Vatrano—Forward—USA U17
36. Calle Andersson—Defense—Malmo J20
37. Tomas Hertl—F—HC Slavia Praha U20
38. Marcus McIvor—Defense—Brampton
39. Scott Laughton—Forward—Oshawa
40. Reid Gow—Defense—Spokan
41. Jesse Graham—Defense—Niagra
42. Matthew Finn—Defense—Guelph
43. Jarrod Maidens—Forward—Owen Sound
44. Dalton Thrower—Defense—Saskatoon
45. Miles Koules—Forward—USA U17
46. Julien Leduc—Defense—Val-d’Or
47. Kalle Torniainen—Forward—Djurg U18
48. Brandon Troock—Forward—Seattle
49. Erik Karlsson—Forward—Frolunda J20
50. Gianluca Curcuruto—Defense—SSM
51. Brady Skjei—Defense—USA U17
52. Andreas Athanasious—F—London
53. Jake McCabe—Defense—NTDP U18
54. Chris Marchese—Forward— Erie
55. Taylor Burke—Forward—Gatineau
56. Andrew Ryan—Forward—Halifax
57. Petr Sidlik—D—HC Dukla Jihlava Minor
58. Ryan Olsen—Forward—Saskatoon
59. Francis Beauvillier—F—Lewiston
60. Luca Ciampini—Forward—Halifax

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Scoutman I know you're in the Q, but being a WHL follower I can tell you that right now as we speak Murray is above Ebert.

Curious why do you have Grigorenko over Yukupov?

A player to watch for the next upcoming has to be Jesse Graham. He's small, but damn he is fast!

Overall there is a ton of great offensive potential players in this draft. While Reinhart and Dumba leads as the best defensive prospects.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Curcuruto @ 50, Marcantoni @ 16, Ciampini @ 60, Murray the 4th defenseman listed and not the first one, among others...

It's a long long time away but some of your rankings are curious considering what others have said and what we know so far.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I agree that Murray's stock may drop once other players start catching up to him. I think Reinhart will indeed pass him by this time next year. I still think Murray will go top 5 though.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Curcuruto @ 50, Marcantoni @ 16, Ciampini @ 60, Murray the 4th defenseman listed and not the first one, among others...

It's a long long time away but some of your rankings are curious considering what others have said.

Ciampini is not that great, he is just good from 10 feet from the net, he does not have great hands with the puck, needs to improve his puck protection and strength big time, his skating is not great and his defensive play is not great, the guy can score and shot.

Murray had a whole year in the CHL before guys like Reinhart, Ebert, etc etc...by next year with a whole summer of improving those guys are going to come back next year A LOT better than this year....

Curcuruto like I SAID before there are guys I WOULD like to rank higher but really if I move him up there is going to be another guy who should be higher and the guy i moved should not be that low...I mean really there are only 30 picks, no matter how good someone is you can not move a guy who you think is better down just to put him up there because he is also skilled.

Marcantouni no reason for the drop LIKE I SAID, guys ranked mid range who should be top 5 or 10 picks overall, with all these great d ranked some forwards are going to drop

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Appreciate the effort but the WHL predictions are pretty far off if you ask me.

FlyingPenguin

Apr 4, 2009
Kingston, ON
Kinda surprised to see Grigorenko above Yakupov (who I'd expected to be the consensus #1), what can you tell me about him (Grigorenko that is)?

R S

Sep 18, 2006

He's basically saying many players from Europe/OHL/QMJHL will improve, while players from the WHL will only regress, see Murray/Dumba/Pouliot. Simply won't happen.

Sure, Murray might be passed by many, but guys like Dumba and Reinhart could very well easily climb into the top 5.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
He's basically saying many players from Europe/OHL/QMJHL will improve, while players from the WHL will only regress, see Murray/Dumba/Pouliot. Simply won't happen.

Sure, Murray might be passed by many, but guys like Dumba and Reinhart could very well easily climb into the top 5.

You got some crystal ball that says you're right and he's not? :help:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
You got some crystal ball that says you're right and he's not? :help:

Of course not.

I've just had a chance to see those players play live, which he hasn't. I am confident enough in what I saw to say that there is no way every single one of those WHL players listed in his top 15-16 has their growth stunted next season.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Just curious Scoutman, who would you compare Grigorenko to ? I know he's quite big and has nice offensive skills. Is he a physical player too ? How's his skating ? For some reason, I always think of Malkin when I hear his name. :laugh:

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Of course not.

I've just had a chance to see those players play live, which he hasn't. I am confident enough in what I saw to say that there is no way every single one of those WHL players listed in his top 15-16 has their growth stunted next season.

Just because a guy is not ranked in his top 10 does not mean his growth is stunted. More likely it means that you watch too much WHL and you probably have a bias for WHL players. I mean, who are you gonna take out of the top 5 to replace Reinhart? Does Dumba really deserve a spot in the top 10? I do think Reinhart will move into the top 5 and Dumba will move into the top 10 but right now it's too hard to tell who from the current top 5/top 10 is going to drop out by next year.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Just curious Scoutman, who would you compare Grigorenko to ? I know he's quite big and has nice offensive skills. Is he a physical player too ? How's his skating ? For some reason, I always think of Malkin when I hear his name. :laugh:

I heard that Malkin and Thornton is player he has been compered to.. and from what i seen i think Malkin is close. It is how they skate, shot, passes, handling the puck and control the powerplay, well list could go on but this is what i notice..

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Just because a guy is not ranked in his top 10 does not mean his growth is stunted. More likely it means that you watch too much WHL and you probably have a bias for WHL players. I mean, who are you gonna take out of the top 5 to replace Reinhart? Does Dumba really deserve a spot in the top 10? I do think Reinhart will move into the top 5 and Dumba will move into the top 10 but right now it's too hard to tell who from the current top 5/top 10 is going to drop out by next year.

Many of the WHL players he has rated right now are much lower than they should be/ could end up.

I don't have Reinhart in the top 4, but I do have Murray there. I think Murray is top 3 right now with atleast Yakupov.

I think Reinhart is a lock to be a top 6-7 though and Dumba could slide into the top 10 with a big year.

Guys like Rielly and Pouliot are the big WHL wildcard defenders in my opinion, they could slide up or down.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
A lateborn 93 that looks very skilled is Pontus Åberg from Djurgården. He has the tools to be a fantastic player, extremely good skater, hands, shoot and so on. If he put it all together, he could very well be a firstrounder next year. I have no idea why he wasn't on the swedish u-18 roster, especially since he was great in Ivan Hlinka and Sweden actually lacked some secondary scoring in the tournament.
It wouldn't be a surprise if he will start to rise on the draft charts next year just like his old companion Mika Zibanejad did this season.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Interesting read:
- 10 of the first 15 are dmen - that's amazing that there is that good of a crop coming.
- no Canadian born forwards in the top 15
- Russians have the top 3 forward positions

Question: if next years crop were a year older and were in this year's draft, what would the top 10 look like?

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Surprised most at the rankings of Frk and Dumba as I thought both would be in the top 10 for sure. And surprised that Yakupov isn't one but I don't know much about Grigorenko so I'm just going based off of what I've read from most people.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
People.... "I know people are going to say this guy should be top 10 or top 5 and this guy should be 1st round, why don't you like him, just know this draft is amazing, there are guys in the 2nd round who would go top 10 in some drafts, and I would love to put guys in the 2nd round up to 1st round but it was impossible, there are only 30 spots and even guys I have ranked 20th and stuff I would love to put higher, but really this draft is beyond sick."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad