GDT: My turn....So that game on ice is played today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Like Maz did less than a minute after the Preds scored at Florida? You keep trying to make a case that either goalie is outperforming the other. I've said repeatedly that they are interchangeable, inconsistent, and incapable of stringing together any sort of prolonged good play.

Nor has the team in front them played with any consistency.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Even though they were losses I rather get a point at least then nothing at all. We need as many points as we can get. Yes they are both interchangeable but I would still take Maz over Hutton. The game just seems more fun/exciting to watch w/ him in vs Hutton.

Bushleaguer

Oct 29, 2013
Does anyone know how many times Maz has given up 3 or more goals in games where the outdoor humidity at the 13:26 mark of the 2nd period was nearly 13% higher than the same time on the previous day?

Please be exact, don't speculate. I abhor speculation.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Nor has the team in front them played with any consistency.

True, but, few are trying to say that any forward or defenseman is playing "better" than an other option right now as the claims go with goaltending.

Our ES offense is hit or miss ... with more misses than hits over the course of the season. The PP is doing fairly well but with far too few chances to carry this team ... 24th in PP opportunities so far this season which makes the 7th best PP% not enough for many wins. 24th in 5on5 goals is an issue ... 28th in 5on5 goals allowed is a huge issue ... the 27th worst 5on5 goals for/against ratio is very telling.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Yes this team offense is lacking but so is it's defense and goaltending. When your offense isn't doing well, the defense and/or goaltending needs to step up. When the defense and/or goaltending is sucking, the offense needs to step up it's game. That's part of being a team and helping each other out. This team lacks in all areas of their game and it would be nice to see all areas of the team playing well in a game but the likelihood that all three will be playing well in the same game is unlikely especially for this team. Think that is alot of their problem.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Does anyone know how many times Maz has given up 3 or more goals in games where the outdoor humidity at the 13:26 mark of the 2nd period was nearly 13% higher than the same time on the previous day?

"Nearly" is completely subjective ... therefore any answer depends on the opinion of the person giving the reply ... one person's "nearly" is not necessarily another's.

How many times has Maz won a game in the past six weeks? How many of his last ten starts resulted in 3 or more goals allowed?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
101, the predators haven't won many games. Period. It is true that the Preds went on a semi run with Hutton in net, but he still has gaping holes in his game. His glove hand is horrific, and he drops his shoulders on every play. I know that maz has his flaws. Don't hear what I'm not saying.

Still, beyond having truly pathetic goaltending, this offense is putrid. It seems that a few of the players have found a groove of late, fisher/Wilson/weber/smith? But it isn't enough.

twig

Dec 8, 2013

LOL !!!!!
Can't stop !!!!!

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
101, the predators haven't won many games. Period. It is true that the Preds went on a semi run with Hutton in net, but he still has gaping holes in his game. His glove hand is horrific, and he drops his shoulders on every play. I know that maz has his flaws. Don't hear what I'm not saying.

Still, beyond having truly pathetic goaltending, this offense is putrid. It seems that a few of the players have found a groove of late, fisher/Wilson/weber/smith? But it isn't enough.

Agree there is only so much Fisher/Wilson/Weber/Smith/Hornqvist can do. They can't be the only players scoring on this team day in day out and/or be expected to. We need our other lines/players to step it up too.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

Neither goalie can string together more than three good games in a row this season. Hutton has his issues, Maz has his. Maz's letting in 3+ in seven of his last eight starts shows how flawed his game is as well. Hutton's softies are killers but he does the better job at holding the opposition to two or fewer goals allowed of late. The difference in sv% is negligible at this point.

Offensively, we're too dependent on the PP with ES scoring that isn't strong enough to carry the team over any span. Defensively, we're prone to lapses that leave dangerous scorers with time, space, and clear shooting lanes. Unless the team figures out how to solidify the overall defense in front of our goalies, we're never getting on this thing called a "winning streak" that I once heard about. When the team plays solid hockey in all three zones like we saw against the Kings, Wings, Sharks, Rangers ... they can compete with anyone. When they play like they have the past few nights, we get the dagger to the chest.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Again .. based on what? Win loss doesn't support it. Sv% is statistically negligible between the two.

Based on how many times Hutton gives up a soft goal to kill the teams chance at winning a game.

I'll ask a question outside of stats. When you find out who's playing in net, who do you feel better about. Strictly gut and emotion here. Who gives us a chance to win on a nightly basis? Maz gave up 4 last night but I'd say his performance was a better overall piece of work. He kept us in the game. He didn't let mistakes by others throw him off. If we had two guys that could put the puck in the net in the shootout we win last night. The two goals Hutton let in tonight were soft and he has to stop those. We lost a point because of him tonight plain and simple. We got a point last night because of Maz. Sugar coat this with stats anyway you want but I feel a whole lot better with Maz in net any day of the week than with Hutton.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Nine times since the beginning of December this team scored two or fewer goals .... 0-8-1. Only held the opposition to 2 or fewer goals in regulation/OT six times in that span ... 4-1-1.

Five wins since the start of December ... four when we hold the opposition to two or fewer goals. Some might call that a correlation.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Based on how many times Hutton gives up a soft goal to kill the teams chance at winning a game.

I'll ask a question outside of stats. When you find out who's playing in net, who do you feel better about. Strictly gut and emotion here. Who gives us a chance to win on a nightly basis? Maz gave up 4 last night but I'd say his performance was a better overall piece of work. He kept us in the game. He didn't let mistakes by others throw him off. If we had two guys that could put the puck in the net in the shootout we win last night. The two goals Hutton let in tonight were soft and he has to stop those. We lost a point because of him tonight plain and simple. We got a point last night because of Maz. Sugar coat this with stats anyway you want but I feel a whole lot better with Maz in net any day of the week than with Hutton.

I don't feel better about either in net. Feelings don't matter ... wins do and for all of the feelings Maz has behind him, he is interchangeable with Hutton. 7 wins in 21 games or 7 wins in 20 games. Two wins in the past month plus or three wins in the past month plus. Those are the choices. Both give up soft goals. Both give up too many goals. Both are liable to get shelled in the first period and get pulled.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
so, let me get this straight. score more goals and allow fewer goals?

got it.

Sounds simple.

Tonight we let Skinner get loose with time and space. Last night it was Kopecky allowed to come down the slot for a goal. Before that was Iginla rushing through Josi. Datsyuk alone when we hosted the Wings. Kopitar on the PP. Those glaring lapses get our goalies beat. Team defense keeps breaking down and the opposition capitalizes.

Offensively we get open nets and shoot wide over and over. Legwand over the open net. Stalberg along the goal line through the crease. Wide .. into the crest ... the broken records we hear from Pete every broadcast.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Trotz was not so charitable is his assessment of Hutton's play on Skinner's game-winner.

"You have to save those," he said. "That was not much of a shot at all. The guys have a lot of character and we battle back every game and put ourselves in the position to get points, so we just need a save."

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
This team will continue to go on losing streaks with horrible D from are forwards and blame placed on the goaltender. Did he let in soft goals yes. But no reason the guy who continues to kill you shouldn't have a guy attatched to his hip the entire game especially when he is standing between the circles in scoring position.

Stalberg will continue to be ineffective playing with grinders.

They will spin it that this team got a point in two games out of three. In reality we lost all three games. Anyone else see this coming after a couple wins? I did.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Trotz was not so charitable is his assessment of Hutton's play on Skinner's game-winner.

"You have to save those," he said. "That was not much of a shot at all. The guys have a lot of character and we battle back every game and put ourselves in the position to get points, so we just need a save."

It was a soft goal .. no question. It wasn't the only soft goal either goalie let in lately and it's not like our PP goal was a work of art ... off Hornqvist's skate in the crease and knocked in by a Cane defender.

Depending on the goalie to allow one or less is putting the team in position to lose most nights. We've held the opposition to just two or fewer goals five times since the beginning of December ... one or less just seven times all season (Maz's two shutouts, twice Rinne allowed only one, three times Hutton held the opposition to one goal). If that is the standard, both goalies need to be held to it along with the team defense.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Sounds simple.

Tonight we let Skinner get loose with time and space. Last night it was Kopecky allowed to come down the slot for a goal. Before that was Iginla rushing through Josi. Datsyuk alone when we hosted the Wings. Kopitar on the PP. Those glaring lapses get our goalies beat. Team defense keeps breaking down and the opposition capitalizes.

Offensively we get open nets and shoot wide over and over. Legwand over the open net. Stalberg along the goal line through the crease. Wide .. into the crest ... the broken records we hear from Pete every broadcast.

With all due respect, Josi was all over Iginla and Iginla made one hell of a play any way you look at it. Sometimes we want to blame our guys for a goal being scored but that goal was the will of one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history. Sometimes guys make great plays even if our guy is doing the right thing. Iginla bulled his way to the net, like all great goal scorers do. It happens sometimes. I can almost guarantee something in that Josi will learn from that and probably never let it happen again. Remember when he got picked by Datsyuk in the playoffs two years ago behind the net? Valuable lesson. Haven't seen him do that again.

At the end of the day, Skinner's goal could have and should have been stopped. Those goals are back breakers. Maz has given up his share of bad goals but for whatever reason I watch Hutton and go, how do you let that in time and time again?

Defensive breakdowns have been the cause of a lot of goals scored against but I watch the game and Maz is the victim of a lot of breakdowns where he's hung out to dry way too often whereas Hutton's mistakes are mostly on him. You can't tell me either goal last night was a good goal to give up. A guy behind the net scoring? A weak wrist shot by Skinner? Those are both stoppable shots. He has to make those saves at this level. End of story.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
This team will continue to go on losing streaks with horrible D from are forwards and blame placed on the goaltender. Did he let in soft goals yes. But no reason the guy who continues to kill you shouldn't have a guy attatched to his hip the entire game especially when he is standing between the circles in scoring position.

Stalberg will continue to be ineffective playing with grinders.

They will spin it that this team got a point in two games out of three. In reality we lost all three games. Anyone else see this coming after a couple wins? I did.

This one is a head scratcher. Have trouble scoring goals so break up the grind line and spread them out over two lines because that will give you a better chance at scoring? Stalberg is a bust to me at this point. He doesn't take the body defensively. He has great wheels but can't finish. He's not a playmaker and his shot isn't that great. But to the point at hand, he's certainly better than Gaustad, Hendricks and Nystrom offensively so why the F is Hendricks playing with Cullen and Bourque? Why did Bourque get sat last night in the third? 7:57 of ice time? Really? He had one shift when we were pinned in our zone and he failed to get the puck out. If I remember correctly, the other 4 guys had the same problem but they got to play. Stupid stupid stupid.

So back to the point again, Hendricks has no business playing on any line above the 4th line. Neither do Nystrom or Gaustad for that matter yet we can't score and the Gaustad line seemed to be getting more ice time than Cullen's line. Yet again, these guys are atrocious offensively yet they get more minutes than more talented players. But wait, that's fine. That's the Predator way.

Honestly I'm sick and tired of young guys getting benched because of one mistake. It seems Bourque is the new dog house resident and that kids busts his ass every time he's out on the ice.It infuriates me the treatment of the young kids to have to do it right every time they're on the ice but the vets make mistakes and they get ice time. Mixed message. You treat every player the same. If one makes a mistake and gets benched, they all do. OR you could put them back out on the ice and let them learn from their mistake and get better. Positive reinforcement as opposed to punishment.

This team is pathetic any way you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad