Video My kid had his first hockey fight. Proud or Unnerved? (Video page 2)

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Well, he fought for his goalie, so be proud. It would have been something else if he was willing to act like a goon, plus he's 16, and already have adult size and frame, so it will always be part of his game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting thread.

I am old school and grew up in the 70’s and use to love fighting in hockey. Over the years a confluence of events have sapped my love of puglislitic pursuit. I am still ok with the occasional bout that happens from spontaneous combustion but I see the writing on the wall and am fine with it.

#1 staged fights.......when one player would take liberties and skate back to the bench safely and it would be a bad enough that it would trigger a bell and one goon from each team would be released from their spot on the end of the bench and they would come out to the face off circle, wait for the puck to drop, fight the wrong guy for the wrong reason. When this really became the mainstream method I lost interest. That’s is not hockey fighting.

#2 Head injuries......too much damage. I am getting old and seem to have lost my stomach for it.

Now in saying that and in the spirit of mixed messages when a game gets really heated and a fight breaks out for what I consider the right reasons (based on traditions of the NHL) I still find myself enjoying the moment at times.

To the video at hand. I don’t have a problem with a kid sticking up for his goalie. It’s not like he came in whaling on an unsuspecting kid? There was pushing and shoving from both sides, a challenge was issued by the smaller older kid and accepted, the one boy took off his cage and they settled it. The younger kid was much bigger but he was clearly not an experienced fighter given his lack of technique and he could have been hurt if the smaller kid was experienced. He stood up for his teammate and I will always be ok with that. My method of thinking may be wrong but it’s baked in from being a goalie dad. :laugh:

One day they will outlaw fighting in the NHL because the litigation risk will out weigh the offsetting reward to the business from precieved entertainment value. Sadly that will be the reason they end it and it won’t have much to do with player saftey. I am not just blaming the league it’s not like the players association is wanting fighting out of the game either.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Interesting thread.

I am old school and grew up in the 70’s and use to love fighting in hockey. Over the years a confluence of events have sapped my love of puglislitic pursuit. I am still ok with the occasional bout that happens from spontaneous combustion but I see the writing on the wall and am fine with it.

#1 staged fights.......when one player would take liberties and skate back to the bench safely and it would be a bad enough that it would trigger a bell and one goon from each team would be released from their spot on the end of the bench and they would come out to the face off circle, wait for the puck to drop, fight the wrong guy for the wrong reason. When this really became the mainstream method I lost interest. That’s is not hockey fighting.

#2 Head injuries......too much damage. I am getting old and seem to have lost my stomach for it.

Now in saying that and in the spirit of mixed messages when a game gets really heated and a fight breaks out for what I consider the right reasons (based on traditions of the NHL) I still find myself enjoying the moment at times.

To the video at hand. I don’t have a problem with a kid sticking up for his goalie. It’s not like he came in whaling on an unsuspecting kid? There was pushing and shoving from both sides, a challenge was issued by the smaller older kid and accepted, the one boy took off his cage and they settled it. The younger kid was much bigger but he was clearly not an experienced fighter given his lack of technique and he could have been hurt if the smaller kid was experienced. He stood up for his teammate and I will always be ok with that. My method of thinking may be wrong but it’s baked in from being a goalie dad. :laugh:

One day they will outlaw fighting in the NHL because the litigation risk will out weigh the offsetting reward to the business from precieved entertainment value. Sadly that will be the reason they end it and it won’t have much to do with player saftey. I am not just blaming the league it’s not like the players association is wanting fighting out of the game either.
No such thing as a staged fight. Having a guy on the team who does most of the fighting is smart on your investment. You dont want your star player like Patrick Kane standing up for himself against Ryan Reaves. That's why you would have a John Scott.
I hate when fans say they want players to fight there own battles then cry when a skilled player fights. Especially if he fights a 4th liner or 3rd pairing dman.
Will they ever outlaw fighting I doubt it. It's at historic lows and the nhl cant afford to lose fans. I hope they decided to settle the lawsuit because right now both sides are just wasting money in court getting lawyers rich.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
To be honest, I think you are a bias father. I don't think that's someting to be ashamed of, but you came on here asking for opinions. Your son is picking on little guys, and in my world, that aint right. That's his choice, but there's really no need for in that age bracket. Is he playing OHL? If not, it's just other dopey kids with no professional future, which makes fighting a dangerous and pointless endeavor.

For the record, I had 4 fights under my belt at that age, and looking back, they were all dumb and reckless. Glad I didn't give anyone a concussion.
This post is sad. Part of the game is to be physical and dominate your opponent. Do you think people looked at tie domi and gave him a past because he's just a lil guy. If he's on the ice he should be capable and is fair game. Should he not check players smaller then him? What has this world become.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This post is sad. Part of the game is to be physical and dominate your opponent. Do you think people looked at tie domi and gave him a past because he's just a lil guy. If he's on the ice he should be capable and is fair game. Should he not check players smaller then him? What has this world become.

Your post is sad - it’s about 10 years behind the times. Outdated and has no place in the GAME moving forward, especially at junior levels.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No such thing as a staged fight. Having a guy on the team who does most of the fighting is smart on your investment. You dont want your star player like Patrick Kane standing up for himself against Ryan Reaves. That's why you would have a John Scott.
I hate when fans say they want players to fight there own battles then cry when a skilled player fights. Especially if he fights a 4th liner or 3rd pairing dman.
Will they ever outlaw fighting I doubt it. It's at historic lows and the nhl cant afford to lose fans. I hope they decided to settle the lawsuit because right now both sides are just wasting money in court getting lawyers rich.

Kane would never have to fight Reeves, it’s one of the reasons why teams don’t need Scott anymore and the super heavy designated fighter is fading. Those dudes only fought each other as a proxy for some kind of justice. As other teams disarm then the McGrattan’s of the world have no one left to fight as per the code. The Tom Wilson prototype is kind of the last of the semi functional fighter models left. Also as more teams use systems that have forth lines that can play 8-10 minutes a night it increased the pressure to lose the 3 minute a night sheltered super heavy weight. There is more than one reason why most of those guys are not in the NHL anymore.

The lawsuit side of things isn’t going away and the more science progresses on the effects of concussions the tougher it is going to be for the NHL to keep fighting in the game.

Hey I am not a pacifist, I think I had well over 2000 posts in hockeyfights.com in the remember when threads but even a dinosaur like me that grew up in the Broad Street Bullies era can see this is all slowly but steadily changing.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Kane would never have to fight Reeves, it’s one of the reasons why teams don’t need Scott anymore and the super heavy designated fighter is fading. Those dudes only fought each other as a proxy for some kind of justice. As other teams disarm then the McGrattan’s of the world have no one left to fight as per the code. The Tom Wilson prototype is kind of the last of the semi functional fighter models left. Also as more teams use systems that have forth lines that can play 8-10 minutes a night it increased the pressure to lose the 3 minute a night sheltered super heavy weight. There is more than one reason why most of those guys are not in the NHL anymore.

The lawsuit side of things isn’t going away and the more science progresses on the effects of concussions the tougher it is going to be for the NHL to keep fighting in the game.

Hey I am not a pacifist, I think I had well over 2000 posts in hockeyfights.com in the remember when threads but even a dinosaur like me that grew up in the Broad Street Bullies era can see this is all slowly but steadily changing.
I think science will only help. If they find sound ways to help cure concussions and cte. And with all the positive studies marijuana has with helping with recovery. Check out riley Cote's website.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, or a teammate.

Fighting just for the sake of fighting in hockey (staged fights) I can live without, but if an opponent/s starts playing chippy, and the refs are missing, or not doing anything about it - then a scrap might be what it takes to sort things out.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
We already do - your kind is soon to be extinct, thankfully.
yeah if history has shown anything anthopologically, its that humanity across the world simply hates violence AND the application of force to achieve goals that benefit specific portions of society. History clearly proves this !

"everyone considered him the cowards of the county"

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

but everyone knows that when he played for the habs, Bobby smith was a grade A goon. He's just saying this to justify his own actions ( job protection).

I heard that on two independent occasions he took care of Chris nilan AND john Kordic at Practice because they both made the mistake of looking at bobby sideways which released the beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad