Video My kid had his first hockey fight. Proud or Unnerved? (Video page 2)

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
It depends on the context. Fighting is (typically) grounds for a suspension. If your child is young that can be tough to explain.

Rules and justice are too different concepts however related they might be... and just because something is against some rule doesn’t mean it was/was not the right thing to do.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
He is 16. AJHL camp. He is a fierce defender of teammates and his goalie was jabbed by an opposing forward. He initiated retribution. The player who was already junior aged was wearing a visor and said to him to take off his cage, which he tore off and engaged.
Good on em, and what team? I'm a huge fan of the AJHL.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island

Not Bad
ObamaNotBad.jpg

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
not impressed your proud of your kid fighting.
I don't know how much high level hockey you have watched. Whether I or you like fighting in the game, it is part of the game. We as parents told him we do not approve of him being an aggressor in fighting, but if an event happens that requires it, we accept the necessity. If his teammate gets hit from behind into the boards, he can react in a number of ways and if that in Junior hockey becomes a fight, then so be it. We do not approve of the initiation of either the reasons to fight or initiation of the fighting itself.

Pride comes from a spot where he engaged because his goalie got sticked. He took on two players older than himself to defend his goalie. The other player said "Take off your cage.", which he did. The combat was fair and honourable. The two combatants got out of the box and tapped each other on the shins and chatted in the hallway afterwards as friends.

I respect your position on fighting and in many ways agree, but you may parent your children how you wish. Also, if you do not like fighting, I am not sure this particular section of HF was designed for you.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Pretty clear you dont have a son then
Weird to be in defense of someone with the opposing view, but I get that some people would look at the link on the main board and click this thread. They don't approve of fighting, or mild pride in standing up for teammates etc. A lot of people don't like fighting in hockey.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Weird to be in defense of someone with the opposing view, but I get that some people would look at the link on the main board and click this thread. They don't approve of fighting, or mild pride in standing up for teammates etc. A lot of people don't like fighting in hockey.

and a lot of people do ( evident if you have ever been to a game) and this constituency additionally includes like >95% of players past and present. The people who don't like fights, what level of experience do you think they have with the game ? and you want to claim some sort of equivalency ?

its a real societal shame that we can't raise a generation of PierreTturgeons who when seeing liberties taken against their teammates would rather sit on their asses on the bench with dreams of the potential powerplays dancing in their heads.

I honestly believe that you can be a great player and NEVER fight, but no matter how talented you are, someone takes liberties against the keeper and you do nothing you are by definition, a crappy teammate. I have no idea about the specifics of the OP, but guys who stand up for their goalie are alright in my book not matter how many people who cant tell a wrist shot from a wrist watch feign offense.

but that might just be me

Reactions: DaNaultinus

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
and a lot of people do ( evident if you have ever been to a game) and this constituency additionally includes like >95% of players past and present. The people who don't like fights, what level of experience do you think they have with the game ? and you want to claim some sort of equivalency ?

its a real societal shame that we can't raise a generation of PierreTturgeons who when seeing liberties taken against their teammates would rather sit on their asses on the bench with dreams of the potential powerplays dancing in their heads.

I honestly believe that you can be a great player and NEVER fight, but no matter how talented you are, someone takes liberties against the keeper and you do nothing you are by definition, a crappy teammate. I have no idea about the specifics of the OP, but guys who stand up for their goalie are alright in my book not matter how many people who cant tell a wrist shot from a wrist watch feign offense.

but that might just be me
You and I agree 100%. I just like looking at the other point of view...I always learn about the other person and myself. My son in particular is a WHL prospect partially because of his vehement defense of his teammates. (Goalie or otherwise) I grew up in the 70s watching Philly, Boston, Montreal and later Quebec Nordiques and all out wars. I have evolved to where I have zero interest in goons, but if Morrissey crosschecked someone on my team like he did Staal, my son would have jumped him and pummeled him. That is what I believe in. Others believe that fining a millionaire $5000.00 is going to stop that from happening, or a 1 game rest. I don't agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad