Video My kid had his first hockey fight. Proud or Unnerved? (Video page 2)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
"don't start nothing, won't be nothing"

I'd actually want ALL players to be " looking for a fight" with guys taking liberties with the goalie. the rules are clear, win lose or draw when people take liberties with the goalie you get your nose dirty. There are very few things that can happen where a response is 100% justified. this is one.

To be honest, I think you are a bias father. I don't think that's someting to be ashamed of, but you came on here asking for opinions. Your son is picking on little guys, and in my world, that aint right. That's his choice, but there's really no need for in that age bracket. Is he playing OHL? If not, it's just other dopey kids with no professional future, which makes fighting a dangerous and pointless endeavor.

For the record, I had 4 fights under my belt at that age, and looking back, they were all dumb and reckless. Glad I didn't give anyone a concussion.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
To be honest, I think you are a bias father. I don't think that's someting to be ashamed of, but you came on here asking for opinions. Your son is picking on little guys, and in my world, that aint right. That's his choice, but there's really no need for in that age bracket. Is he playing OHL? If not, it's just other dopey kids with no professional future, which makes fighting a dangerous and pointless endeavor.

For the record, I had 4 fights under my belt at that age, and looking back, they were all dumb and reckless. Glad I didn't give anyone a concussion.

I agree but a guy standing up for his goalie is doing the opposite of " picking on little guys" or is it your position that if a little guy takes liberties with your goalie that he only has to answer to someone in his weightclass ?

A long time ago, in the very thread I asked " yeah who wants a kid who is going to stand up for his goalie?????"

my answer to that question has not changed one iota, whether you or anyone else thinks I'm a biased father. You stand up foe the keeper, you don't you are defacto a crappy teamate. if you are okay with that, that's on you not the kid.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I agree but a guy standing up for his goalie is doing the opposite of " picking on little guys" or is it your position that if a little guy takes liberties with your goalie that he only has to answer to someone in his weightclass ?

A long time ago, in the very thread I asked " yeah who wants a kid who is going to stand up for his goalie?????"

my answer to that question has not changed one iota, whether you or anyone else thinks I'm a biased father. You stand up foe the keeper, you don't you are defacto a crappy teamate. if you are okay with that, that's on you not the kid.

Played and involved with youth hockey since the 1950s.

What is on the video is not standing up for the goalie. Western try-out camp so a safe assumption is the player in question was not selected in the Bantam Draft.

What is on the video is not standing up for the goalie in the traditional sense of the defencemen setting up a perimeter where the opposition cannot get at the goalie. That would be proactive play.

The gesture is a re-active play by a defenceman caught out of position, behind the play because he lacks experience at that level.

Needs a good d-coach who will explain the geometry of pro-active defenceman positioning.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Played and involved with youth hockey since the 1950s.

What is on the video is not standing up for the goalie. Western try-out camp so a safe assumption is the player in question was not selected in the Bantam Draft.

What is on the video is not standing up for the goalie in the traditional sense of the defencemen setting up a perimeter where the opposition cannot get at the goalie. That would be proactive play.

The gesture is a re-active play by a defenceman caught out of position, behind the play because he lacks experience at that level.

Needs a good d-coach who will explain the geometry of pro-active defenceman positioning.
He thought the guy was taking liberties, and acted by doing what is expected. If the guy was smaller than he was, them's the breaks.

As a former goalie ( my union dues have long since lapsed) I ate lots of sticks on covered pucks that had ZERO to do with defensive geometry.

You perceive a guy to be taking liberties against the goalie and do nothing, you are a crappy teamate.
Full stop.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
He thought the guy was taking liberties, and acted by doing what is expected. If the guy was smaller than he was, them's the breaks.

As a former goalie ( my union dues have long since lapsed) I ate lots of sticks on covered pucks that had ZERO to do with defensive geometry.

You perceive a guy to be taking liberties against the goalie and do nothing, you are a crappy teamate.
Full stop.

Sorry to read that your teammates were so talented that they let the opposition thru to you.

The idea is to be between the goalie and the attacking forwards, steering them away from the crease or shielding the goalie. This requires proper defensive geometry.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry to read that your teammates were so talented that they let the opposition thru to you.

The idea is to be between the goalie and the attacking forwards, steering them away from the crease or shielding the goalie. This requires proper defensive geometry.
If you think that proper defensive geometry can keep all forwards away from the blue paint, we'll good luck with that.

And to be clear, a guy who through poor defensive geometry allows a guy to get into the paint should do nothing but lament their poor defensive geometry?

Yeah I don't think so.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
@sandysan, you came here asking our opinion, but I am not sure why. You don't seem to care. Were you just looking for people to give your kid props?

Anyways, I wish him luck in his career.
One it's not my kid.
Two when it's the principle, who is involved is immaterial.

So I ask you straight out, if anyone (related to you or not) is on the ice and deems that someone is taking liberties with your goalie, what would you have them do? Skate to the bench with visions of powerplay dancing in their heads?

Being part of a team comes with responsibilities even if they are unpleasant. Sticking up for your goalie is one that is accepted by everyone who is a good teamamte.

If you want to go the other way, that's on you.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
One it's not my kid.
Two when it's the principle, who is involved is immaterial.

So I ask you straight out, if anyone (related to you or not) is on the ice and deems that someone is taking liberties with your goalie, what would you have them do? Skate to the bench with visions of powerplay dancing in their heads?

Being part of a team comes with responsibilities even if they are unpleasant. Sticking up for your goalie is one that is accepted by everyone who is a good teamamte.

If you want to go the other way, that's on you.

Seems that you are looking for any sliver to justify fighting.Nice red herring, hypothetical that likely never happens.

Being proactively prepared is the best approach.No need to to give advance notice of consequences to anyone. Do not want the opposition to be prepared.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Seems that you are looking for any sliver to justify fighting.Nice red herring, hypothetical that likely never happens.

Being proactively prepared is the best approach.No need to to give advance notice of consequences to anyone. Do not want the opposition to be prepared.

bring proactively prepared that someone is going to take a liberty against your goalie ?

If you want to explain what that looks like, operationally, I'd love to hear it.

As for " support of fighting", if me supporting a guy to drop the gloves with a guy who took liberties with a goalie is a cross I have to bear, I will bear it gladly.

there is no sliver, whether you like it or not, guys who take liberties with your goalie HAVE to be dissuaded. don't worry, I am sure that not everyone on the ice is going to be like helen lovejoy as you skate back to the bench and you can continue to pawn off your responsibility to others, you know the way good teamates always do.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
bring proactively prepared that someone is going to take a liberty against your goalie ?

If you want to explain what that looks like, operationally, I'd love to hear it.

As for " support of fighting", if me supporting a guy to drop the gloves with a guy who took liberties with a goalie is a cross I have to bear, I will bear it gladly.

there is no sliver, whether you like it or not, guys who take liberties with your goalie HAVE to be dissuaded. don't worry, I am sure that not everyone on the ice is going to be like helen lovejoy as you skate back to the bench and you can continue to pawn off your responsibility to others, you know the way good teamates always do.

This was done.

So liberties with goalies are different from liberties with skaters on your team bonding scale? Rather negative concept for team bonding. Played on teams where liberties were addressed regardless of position.

Suggest investigating the Gordie Howe method for defending all teammates. Worked rather well. Having a long memory helps.

Point is fights get broken-up. Linesmen do not break-up elbows or other in the game gestures.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
so your goalie makes a save has the puck under his pad and before the whistle is blown some little bastard starts spearing your goalie in an attempt to free a covered puck.

defensive positioning isn't going to stop that. if you have a way to prevent a guy without the puck from going towards the net, you should be talking to nhl coaches because they would love to hear it unless the plan is to set the league record for interference calls.

if you want to go back to everybody is responsible for their own protection, fine by me but why do you hate the talented little guys so much ?

yeah that's honorable, instead of squaring up with a guy letting him know what is coming you want to waffle him with an elbow. man you are a peach.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
so your goalie makes a save has the puck under his pad and before the whistle is blown some little bastard starts spearing your goalie in an attempt to free a covered puck.

defensive positioning isn't going to stop that. if you have a way to prevent a guy without the puck from going towards the net, you should be talking to nhl coaches because they would love to hear it unless the plan is to set the league record for interference calls.

if you want to go back to everybody is responsible for their own protection, fine by me but why do you hate the talented little guys so much ?

yeah that's honorable, instead of squaring up with a guy letting him know what is coming you want to waffle him with an elbow. man you are a peach.

Sure will if you stay between the opposition and your goalie and do not let up. No way your man should beat you to jab at the puck.

Nothing against talented little guys.

Please submit list of players Howe waffled with an elbow. Did much worst with his fists giving Lou Fontinato a beating.Howe and many others created a security perimeter without creating serious post competition health issues from fighting.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sure will if you stay between the opposition and your goalie and do not let up. No way your man should beat you to jab at the puck.

Nothing against talented little guys.

Please submit list of players Howe waffled with an elbow. Did much worst with his fists giving Lou Fontinato a beating.Howe and many others created a security perimeter without creating serious post competition health issues from fighting.
yeah his nickemane of " mr.elbows" was a nom du plume.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
This was done.

So liberties with goalies are different from liberties with skaters on your team bonding scale? Rather negative concept for team bonding. Played on teams where liberties were addressed regardless of position.

Suggest investigating the Gordie Howe method for defending all teammates. Worked rather well. Having a long memory helps.

Point is fights get broken-up. Linesmen do not break-up elbows or other in the game gestures.
So you’re advocating going back to the 50’s and 60’s and giving dirty cheap shots. Nice! I’m guessing you also love a good stick swinging incident, as well.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
So you’re advocating going back to the 50’s and 60’s and giving dirty cheap shots. Nice! I’m guessing you also love a good stick swinging incident, as well.

No, just knowing how to establish a legal security perimeter. No rule requires any player to skate with elbows tucked at the side.Just creates a safe working environment.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Riiiiiight.

Basic. Make the opposition reach and change their center of gravity.

Howe3.jpg
Howe4.jpeg

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I love how you've moved the goalposts, starting out talking about defending teammates by using the Howe method of elbowing people and having a long memory and now moving to claiming you were talking about holding elbows out to create space for yourself. I’ll also note that Howe doesn’t have any teammates in those photos...pretty tough to defend teammates when they aren’t nearby.

This has been fun!

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I love how you've moved the goalposts, starting out talking about defending teammates by using the Howe method of elbowing people and having a long memory and now moving to claiming you were talking about holding elbows out to create space for yourself. I’ll also note that Howe doesn’t have any teammates in those photos...pretty tough to defend teammates when they aren’t nearby.

This has been fun!

Simple playing pro-actively. Howe conveyed the clear message that when he plays everyone on his team, not only the goalie, is entitled to play unimpeded.Force the opposition to play back on their heels, passively instead of aggressively.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Simple playing pro-actively. Howe conveyed the clear message that when he plays everyone on his team, not only the goalie, is entitled to play unimpeded.Force the opposition to play back on their heels, passively instead of aggressively.
Thanks for clarifying that was I originally said was correct and that you are moving the goalposts. Enjoy your day.
Right-Winger as race in Germany ??
Say no to drugs.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
With plenty of fights on the ice under my belt, I must say he has the right attitude and is picking the right spots. But tell him to watch his chin, he is keeping himself too square to the opponent and any experienced combatant will stiff you quick. Use your off hand to hold the neck of the opponents jersey (Where the shoulder is) Keep an arms length, tell him to use his big frame and power to pull the guy hard into his punches. While the opponent punches rest your chin inside the shoulder of your grabbing arm to avoid getting stoned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad