My Hart, Norris, and Vezina winners today are ...

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Actually he isn't one of the worst defensive players in the league. Just some canadian narrative bs. I guess mckinnon isn't good enough defensively to win back to back cups. I haven't seen Mac break the record for the most assist by a center torrent even flirt with it. Mckinnon and McDavis great players, but kucherov is the best this year. We will be telling our grandkids who we think has a chance to break kucherov's record for most assist by a winger.

His team is +5 even strength and his defensive WAR is in the bottom 1/3rd in the league. He has fewer ES points than MacKinnon and Mackinnon is close to the league lead in both goals and points while being +30 ES and playing the more valuable position.

I dont see how it is a Canadian narrative to prop up Nate, a player on an American team, when 2 players on 2 big Canadian markets are also in the top 4.

Reactions: Sypher04

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
His team is +5 even strength and his defensive WAR is in the bottom 1/3rd in the league. He has fewer ES points than MacKinnon and Mackinnon is close to the league lead in both goals and points while being +30 ES and playing the more valuable position.

I dont see how it is a Canadian narrative to prop up Nate, a player on an American team, when 2 players on 2 big Canadian markets are also in the top 4.
🎻

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
It's Kuch-Hughes-Hellebucyk.

The Lindsay will be fascinating, If Matthews gets 70 goals or McDavid gets 100 assists, I wonder if that is highlighted more.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd put a lot of money on Mack for the Hart. I actually dont think the voting will be close either(Even though it should be).

Vezina should be Helly easily. Norris is probably the closest but I'd venture to guess Hughes gets it.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
He also is barely a net positive ES and is one of the worst defensive players in the league.
Not sure where this fallacy comes from.

But, without him, the Lightning would not have qualified for the playoffs this season. Absolute fact - one player really did drag the rest of his teammates to the finish line. The defense, including the contribution from the majority of the Lightning forwards, has been abysmal this season overall, and only until the recent stretch have they tightened up their game. Vasilevskiy has fiddled with mediocrity most of the season since returning from back surgery and definitely hasn't bailed the team out like he has in the past (except for finding his more typical game as of late).

The fact he's a winger yet still controls the play and runs the number 1 PP - he sets everyone up. The way he slows the game down, the passes he makes are unreal, all the backhand passes he makes. His teammates and opponents constantly mention his work ethic and how he's never satisfied and always working on his shot, his stickhandling, subtle aspects of his game and never leaves the ice. How his hockey sense is unmatched and that is what makes him great - not being the fastest or having a hard shot or all of those skill sets he admits he doesn't have or the "flashy" skills - but he makes up for it by reading the ice better than anyone.

Remember watching an interview with Bellemare where he mentioned how Kucherov would take these hard passes around back of the net and then immediately make a perfect backhand pass to Stamkos for a goal in front of the net during a game. And Bellemare would want to try it, try taking a hard rim on the backhand in practice and could never control the puck to make a surgical type pass like that, that the puck just exploded off his stick and went wherever yet somehow Kucherov controls it and delivers it exactly where his target is.

Yeah, I'm biased, but his game is seriously underrated and underappreciated. He's the ultimate team guy. He deserves the Hart.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa wouldn't even be a playoff team without Kuch, he's outscored his 2nd best teammate by 53 points, if he maintains the lead he has on Mack and McDavid you can't take this away from him

Oct 18, 2011

Mack has a whopping 3 more ES points. Big deal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know how you can vote Kucherov when he's only ahead by a couple points and a sieve defensively.

Because Kucherov is quite literally the only reason Tampa is remotely relevant this season. He leads Point by 53 points. Whereas MacKinnon only has a 35 point lead on Rantanen while McDavid is ahead of Draisaitl by 28.

You can argue Mack or McDavid deserve it more but Kucherov is, undeniably, in that conversation.

Anywho. My picks would be:

Kucherov
Hughes
Hellebuyck

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Hart
MacKinnon - 2nd to Kucherov in points, top 5 in goals, plays a solid defensive game

Norris
Makar/Hughes - too close to call

Vezina
Hellebuyck

Contrary to popular belief, MacKinnon is having the worst defensive season of the big 3.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hellebuyck with an absolute robbery last night.

To be honest, he should be in Hart conversation.

Reactions: triggrman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad