My Hart, Norris, and Vezina winners today are ...

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Who I would vote for:

Kucherov, Josi, Hellebuyck

Who I think will win:

MacKinnon, Hughes, Hellebuyck

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Mac - best player on one of the best teams, similar points to Kucherov but may get Selke consideration.

Josi - Best d-man among the point leaders that is great on both ends of the ice.

Daccord - Everyone's saying Hellebuyck, but ignoring that his backup has numbers that're just as good. Same with the tandem of Ullmark/Swayman. That indicates strong team defence. But Seattle? Grubauer is out there with a sub .900SV% while Daccord ain't far off Hellebuyck. Easy decision

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Mac - best player on one of the best teams, similar points to Kucherov but may get Selke consideration.

Josi - Best d-man among the point leaders that is great on both ends of the ice.

Daccord - Everyone's saying Hellebuyck, but ignoring that his backup has numbers that're just as good. Same with the tandem of Ullmark/Swayman. That indicates strong team defence. But Seattle? Grubauer is out there with a sub .900SV% while Daccord ain't far off Hellebuyck. Easy decision
Helle plays the lion share of the games 57 vs 21 and usually the tougher matchups . Don,t get me wrong Brois has been good but if you have watched Jet games their is a fair difference .

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010

I don't think the save percentage of Hellebyuck and Brossoit is only indicative of stronger team defense on the Jets. Helle has 20 more goals saved against expected than Daccord and 9 more than the second ranked goalie Demko.

I also think they give it to Hellebyuck as he has 10 more games played.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Helle plays the lion share of the games 57 vs 21 and usually the tougher matchups . Don,t get me wrong Brois has been good but if you have watched Jet games their is a fair difference .
Don't get me wrong, there absolutely is a difference. There's a reason Hellebuyck is the starter making 8 bananas a year.

But when the backup posts similar numbers, and the team is an alleged contender with their strength being team defence, that discredits Hellebuyck's Vezina case. Especially when the guy right behind him on the stat sheet plays for a dogshit team where the other goalie is one of the worst in the league.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Don't get me wrong, there absolutely is a difference. There's a reason Hellebuyck is the starter making 8 bananas a year.

But when the backup posts similar numbers, and the team is an alleged contender with their strength being team defence, that discredits Hellebuyck's Vezina case. Especially when the guy right behind him on the stat sheet plays for a dogshit team where the other goalie is one of the worst in the league.
By GSAx, Daccord is the 27th ranked goalie in the league, and is closer to #95 than he is to Hellebuyck. 97 goalies played in the NHL this season.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
By GSAx, Daccord is the 27th ranked goalie in the league, and is closer to #95 than he is to Hellebuyck. 97 goalies played in the NHL this season.
If you believe in the madeup... sorry I mean "advanced" stats then you can say whatever you want to make your case.

When you get these stats who decides what should've been stopped? Are high danger chances counted similarly in all 32 arenas? Is a shot from Sidney Crosby worth more than one from Ryan Reaves?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
It will be an interesting Hart race this year as the three top point producers have had such similar seasons. Kucherov has the biggest lead over the #2 scorer on his team while I would say MacKinnon has the least amount of support. If Matthews ends up with 70+ goals has to be finalist. I would actually go:

* Kucherov
* Matthews
* Pastrnak
Bolded part doesn't really have any relevance or shouldn't.

^

It would take a monumental collapse here at the end of the season for it to not finish that way.
I disagree. Hellebuyck for sure, don't another credible argument for someone else. I think Norris will be close and Hart even closer than that.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Bolded part doesn't really have any relevance or shouldn't.

I disagree. Hellebuyck for sure, don't another credible argument for someone else. I think Norris will be close and Hart even closer than that.
Why wouldn’t the bolder be relevant?

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
With McDavid within easy striking distance and games in hand, I would never bet against him.

I would take McDavid for the Hart
Hughes for Norris
Hellebuyck for Vezina

McDavid has really willed his team from presumably out of the playoffs to even top favourites to win the cup. Guy has done the proverbial put his team on his back and has been remarkably consistent for team contributions. I think if he wins the Art Ross (which I think he will), he will get the Hart

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If you believe in the madeup... sorry I mean "advanced" stats then you can say whatever you want to make your case.

When you get these stats who decides what should've been stopped? Are high danger chances counted similarly in all 32 arenas? Is a shot from Sidney Crosby worth more than one from Ryan Reaves?
All stats are made up. GSAx takes shot location and pre-shot puck movement (e.g. passes that cross center ice) into account. You can look up what expected goals are based on. Based on your first sentence, I wager it would be a waste of my time to educate you.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Why wouldn’t the bolder be relevant?
Why would it? Let's say Player A has 140pts, his closest teammate has 95pts, then #3 has 90, #4 has 87, #5 has 80 and #6 has 78. Then you have Player B with 140pts, his closest teammate has 110pts, then #3 has 50pts, #4 has 40pts, #5 has 35pts and #6 has 30pts. I don't see the relevance of the spread simply between the top 2 guys on the team, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I do think people look at it, but I think unfair weight is given to it.

That would be different with a scenario where you had a guy with 140pts and his next closest teammate is 95 compared to a guy with 140pts and his next closest teammate is 135pts....then you are wondering which guy is really more valuable to his team (the 140 or 135pt guy, what else do they bring, etc.). Even then you can start arguing (if it's valid of course), that the guy with 135pts would be nothing without the 140pt guy as he was carried all year, etc. It's hard to argue that though as you can't just get carried to that level of production.

Anyway, just my pet peeve.....there are 20 regulars on a team, why are we just looking at the top 2 guys?

All stats are made up. GSAx takes shot location and pre-shot puck movement (e.g. passes that cross center ice) into account. You can look up what expected goals are based on. Based on your first sentence, I wager it would be a waste of my time to educate you.
All stats are made up?

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Why would it? Let's say Player A has 140pts, his closest teammate has 95pts, then #3 has 90, #4 has 87, #5 has 80 and #6 has 78. Then you have Player B with 140pts, his closest teammate has 110pts, then #3 has 50pts, #4 has 40pts, #5 has 35pts and #6 has 30pts. I don't see the relevance of the spread simply between the top 2 guys on the team, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I do think people look at it, but I think unfair weight is given to it.

That would be different with a scenario where you had a guy with 140pts and his next closest teammate is 95 compared to a guy with 140pts and his next closest teammate is 135pts....then you are wondering which guy is really more valuable to his team (the 140 or 135pt guy, what else do they bring, etc.). Even then you can start arguing (if it's valid of course), that the guy with 135pts would be nothing without the 140pt guy as he was carried all year, etc. It's hard to argue that though as you can't just get carried to that level of production.

Anyway, just my pet peeve.....there are 20 regulars on a team, why are we just looking at the top 2 guys?

All stats are made up?
Relevance and unfair weight are two different things. I think it is relevant, how much you weigh it depends on varying other factors you shouldn't ignore ideally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad