Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 5-year extension

Ron*

Caps going up by quite a bit next year due to the NHL's new TV contract and the players could also apply the cap escalator if they choose to. The cap can go anywhere in between $74 to $77M.

Let's say the cap is $74M in 2015, that would give the Kings approximately $17.8M in cap space with 13 players under contract (7F-5D-1G).

Pearson, Toffoli, Jones, Clifford, Nolan, Andreoff will all be RFAs, in addition to a number of prospects in Manchester (Weal, Shore, Bodnarchuk, Dowd, LoVerde).

I figure they will let Regehr walk and will probably wait on making a decision on Martinez, Williams and Stoll. If they can retain Martinez at $3M, Stoll takes a cut to stay, and Williams signs an extension in the $4M range, then I think it is possible for most of the team to stay intact.

I agree. Thanks for putting the additional cap space in context. Hopefully it will shut up all these gloom-and-doomers lamenting the pre-destined loss of Jazz Hands.

Captain Mittens*

Regehr also has his business that services oil rigs. He's a man with a plan.

Like Verbal Kint

Verbal-Kint-lined-up.jpg

Ron*

I don't see A-Mart resigning with the Kings, he will be an UFA. He has two cups already, and will want a payday + an increased roll.

That can't happen with Muzzin+Slava making 8.5 million combined as puck movers.

A-Mart will move on. Singing Muzzin long term pretty much sealed A-Mart's fate (unless A-Mart wants to take a deep pay-cut to stay).

A-Mart could easily make 4 to 4.5 million in UFA on a long term deal, with a bubble playoff team. The third pairing puck mover going into next year will have to be filled by an ELC(Forbort/Gravel maybe Ebert).

I think Ebert would be the perfect replacement for A-Mart.

I don't know why you keep saying this. It's like you don't even pay attention to what other posters have been saying time and again: due to the new television contract, we will probably see a significant increase to the cap...looking at anywhere from $5M to $7M, resulting in total cap of $74M to $76M.

Ron*

In addition, thanks to the structure of Muzzins contract, we have an additional $1M to use on signings.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Love the contract. Great term fair money. Growth is still expected.

4 of 6 Dman locked up. Basically we need a #4 and #5/6 for next year. If McNabb does okay and grows a bit then just a #4. Hopefully AMart stays. He is young with scoring upside. Regehr has served a purpose, with his age, slowness and nasty career I am already worried by diminished returns. Money used on youth.

Top 6 is set. Kopitar, Gabby, Brown, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson.

Line 3 has Richards, and King locked up. Williams is a treat but also aging a bit. He may take a longer term cheaper AAV but who knows. Stoll has lots of hard miles and some health issues. I think he takes a hometown discount but at this point that may be money better spent on in house youth.

Bottom 6 is cheap even with an inflated Lewis. Andy A and Nolan are capable and cheap to resign. If we lose someone I am thinking Clifford.

Goal is set for years with Quick. A decent season from Jones may get him a mil a year.

Lombardi is very smart, very aware, I am not going to worry yet.

Ron*

Love the contract. Great term fair money. Growth is still expected.

4 of 6 Dman locked up. Basically we need a #4 and #5/6 for next year. If McNabb does okay and grows a bit then just a #4. Hopefully AMart stays. He is young with scoring upside. Regehr has served a purpose, with his age, slowness and nasty career I am already worried by diminished returns. Money used on youth.

Top 6 is set. Kopitar, Gabby, Brown, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson.

Line 3 has Richards, and King locked up. Williams is a treat but also aging a bit. He may take a longer term cheaper AAV but who knows. Stoll has lots of hard miles and some health issues. I think he takes a hometown discount but at this point that may be money better spent on in house youth.

Bottom 6 is cheap even with an inflated Lewis. Andy A and Nolan are capable and cheap to resign. If we lose someone I am thinking Clifford.

Goal is set for years with Quick. A decent season from Jones may get him a mil a year.

Lombardi is very smart, very aware, I am not going to worry yet.

Agree with everything you said, with the possible exception of Stoll. Our faceoff percentages are terrible to start the season. If this continues, we are going to be forced to keep Stoll. He's still the best faceoff guy on the roster.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I don't know why you keep saying this. It's like you don't even pay attention to what other posters have been saying time and again: due to the new television contract, we will probably see a significant increase to the cap...looking at anywhere from $5M to $7M, resulting in total cap of $74M to $76M.

Your the one that seems to be ignoring others. Half the TV money was added last year. The NHL projections already show lesser growth than many expected. And if the Canadian dollar continues to decrease in relation to the American dollar the cap will feel it. Could devalue the TV contract by more than 10% from when it was signed.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Agree with everything you said, with the possible exception of Stoll. Our faceoff percentages are terrible to start the season. If this continues, we are going to be forced to keep Stoll. He's still the best faceoff guy on the roster.

We have suffered 2 blows in back to back years with the changes. And yes every team has to deal with them. But come on the hand rule was jokingly called the Stoll rule by some. I just think we are having a bit harder time with the adjustments than some and think it will get back to normal soon enough.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Half of the T.V. money was already added. The Cananda Dollar is in the crapper and sinking.

The cap may only go up slightly or not at all. You can't pay A-Mart, (Muzzin or Slava money) all three puck movers would cost the Kings in the 10+ million range. That doesn't work, unless the Cap goes up significantly (which it won't).

A-Mart is also an UFA, he will be looking for a payday, he has yet to cash in on a big contract, He will also want a bigger role. Most likely A-Mart's spot will have to be filled with an ELC.

So who is ignoring posts now ? I read what they posted, but it's not correct. So I didn't bother commenting on it.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Your the one that seems to be ignoring others. Half the TV money was added last year. The NHL projections already show lesser growth than many expected. And if the Canadian dollar continues to decrease in relation to the American dollar the cap will feel it. Could devalue the TV contract by more than 10% from when it was signed.

There it is. I am thinking the cap is going to be 70 million.

Last edited:

Ron*

There it is. I am thinking the cap is going to be 70 million.

Half of the T.V. money was already added. The Cananda Dollar is in the crapper and sinking.

The cap may only go up slightly or not at all. You can't pay A-Mart, (Muzzin or Slava money) all three puck movers would cost the Kings in the 10+ million range. That doesn't work, unless the Cap goes up significantly (which it won't).

A-Mart is also an UFA, he will be looking for a payday, he has yet to cash in on a big contract, He will also want a bigger role. Most likely A-Mart's spot will have to be filled with an ELC.

So who is ignoring posts now ? I read what they posted, but it's not correct. So I didn't bother commenting on it.

You are both wrong. See the report below. That is what I am basing my projections on. If you have a different (reputable) source, then bring it on. We can discuss which source is the more credible.

Report: NHL revenues to hit record $3.7-billion

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ry-cap-got-set-at-69-million/article19387905/
Factoring in all of the new revenue this weekend would have meant no sizable boost a year from now.

As it currently stands, the 2015-16 salary cap should now easily exceed $74-million.

https://www.shnarped.com/blog/2014/...-a-massive-boost-from-canadian-broadcast-deal
If the increase for the coming year is good news, what’s set to happen in 2015-16 could be the biggest news.

As mentioned by Mirtle above, annual revenues of $4 billion could lead to the highest-ever salary cap in NHL history. The cap has increased by an average of 8 percent per year since its inception in 2005. That could put the number at the aforementioned $76 million in 2015.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/mad...uld-Rise-12-Million-by-2015-16-262387121.html

The cap went from $64M in 2013 to $69M in 2014. The cap will exceed $70M in 2015.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You are both wrong. See the report below. That is what I am basing my projections on. If you have a different (reputable) source, then bring it on. We can discuss which source is the more credible.

Report: NHL revenues to hit record $3.7-billion

That's based off of a Projection of 4.0 billion back in June of 2014. If it's 3.7 (which is likely) the Cap is...you guessed it 69.9 million about(or around there).

The dollar has hit the skids since then, and even the writer(in the article) says 4.0 billion is a lofty expectation.

Find a better source like Forbes.

4 Billion is really high for the NHL, the Dollar would have to be really strong to hit that. The T.V. contract is not going to push the NHL over the edge. This is not the NFL.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

And in 2013 everyone thought the Cap was going to be 72-74 million for 2014. It came in at 69. That sent teams scrambling to find cap space.

Ron*

And in 2013 everyone thought the Cap was going to be 72-74 million for 2014. It came in at 69. That sent teams scrambling to find cap space.

So let me get this straight: you don't think profits are going to exceed $4 billion? Even after the huge TV contract?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
So let me get this straight: you don't think profits are going to exceed $4 billion? Even after the huge TV contract?

It depends on the how the Canadian dollar performs. If it performs poorly(which it has/is), it can devalue that contract by more than 10%. It's the best T.V. contract the NHL has ever had, but it's not NFL level money.

4 billion is lofty indeed. If the revenues hit that, that's great for the league(and the cap), but I wouldn't bet on it.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

Ron, if the TV contract + Canadian team's revenue is ~2b or half the projected revenue. And the Canadian dollar falls by 10% to the US dollar, the revenues drop ~200 million. (just an example, not saying it will drop that much)

From the BOH board.
@renlavoietva · 15h 15 hours ago The NHL HRR preliminary forecast for this season is an increase of 3.5%. Players will have to pay 14% of escrow for Q1. #tvasports

Have to think that the players would prefer 0% escrow :sarcasm:

Obvious its just one tweet, and preliminary at that, so things can easily change. But lets assume its true. That puts the cap at less than 72 mil for next year. Now obvious the unknown is the player escalator, which could bump it another ~3 mil. But when you see how much the players put in escrow and the fact that they refused last year, that is very much up in the air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad