Confirmed with Link: Muzzin signs 5-year extension

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Fair money... thought he'd ask for 100k more then Voynov....

Cap implications are interesting... if the cap goes up 5M Kings are in fine shape... if it only goes up 3 it's going to be tight....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Now to lock Martinez up and have the Kings D-core set for the foreseeable future.

I was anticipating a Voynov type extension for Muzzin and he got a deal in that ballpark, and that is a hell of a contract for a #2 dman who can play 20+ minutes.

Look at the ridiculous deals guys like Niskanen and Orpik got as UFAs. Lombardi once again proving why he is the best GM in the game.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Cap implications are interesting... if the cap goes up 5M Kings are in fine shape... if it only goes up 3 it's going to be tight....

I think the bigger issue is Toffoli and Pearson. I know it's early, but both these guys look like they could potentially be 25-30 goal, 50+ point players, and if that is the case they are going to get paid. And that is where it's tough to justify keeping veterans who are not as good as those two and will be demanding more money or are already signed for more money. Again it's early, but it certainly looks like Pearson and Toffoli are going to be knocking at the door to take the roles of guys like Williams, Stoll and Richards, and for the overall health and future of the team that is a good thing.

I think this is a fair deal for Muzzin, I do like Muzzin a lot and think maybe he could have gotten more but it would have been a gamble, I do think he benefits from playing with DD and it would be tough to play much better than he did in playoffs. This is a really nice deal for both parties.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

That is the problem right now HHR is projected at +3.5% which if that includes the other half of the TV deal we aren't in good cap shape. But it's still early and not sure what exactly they are basing it off of since the season just started.
But starting next year is when the real hard choices are going to have to be made. I don't see anyway that we don't lose some, of what have been vital, pieces of our cup victories.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
very good deal for both sides.

now to try lock down AMart. if Dean can get him for $3.5 - 4.5M on a 3 to 5-year deal it will be gold.

Toffoli and Pearson I would rather Dean wait for this season to play out, before he commits the contract to them. not saying they may bust, but let's see what they can do for full regular NHL season first. even then i won't be surprised if Dean signs them on 1 or 2-year bridge contracts.

i will be surprised to see Stoll and Regehr brought back, especially Regehr. with the development and the kids waiting, i think their spots are going to be awarded to new talent on ELC's. Dean will need cap room and at the same time he has to begin moving players up that have earned their shot. he has built the system and can now tap into the talent

i can see them taking JW back on a 2 or 3 year deal, but it's very possible he may NOT be re-signed either due to $$$ and younger talent in MAN.

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think the bigger issue is Toffoli and Pearson. I know it's early, but both these guys look like they could potentially be 25-30 goal, 50+ point players, and if that is the case they are going to get paid. And that is where it's tough to justify keeping veterans who are not as good as those two and will be demanding more money or are already signed for more money. Again it's early, but it certainly looks like Pearson and Toffoli are going to be knocking at the door to take the roles of guys like Williams, Stoll and Richards, and for the overall health and future of the team that is a good thing.

I think this is a fair deal for Muzzin, I do like Muzzin a lot and think maybe he could have gotten more but it would have been a gamble, I do think he benefits from playing with DD and it would be tough to play much better than he did in playoffs. This is a really nice deal for both parties.

I don't think Toffoli and Pearson have much of an impact on Richards and Stoll as neither is a centre. They are far more likely to push Williams out the door, as hard as that is to believe. That said, hard sell to the fans who just seen him hoist the Conn Smythe.

Richards I think is safe if he can play above Stoll, which he should do easily, do to his contract. He'll be hard to move (despite Oilers fans wanting him so bad) and with the length of his deal I doubt DL buys him out, though who really knows how much leeway he has there. The additional issue is DL have a man crush on Richards.

Stoll is the most likely to go of the three in my opinion, due to age and production as well as the likelihood of being replaceable from within. His real saving grace is faceoffs, and overall as a team we are collectively much better at that than in years past. At some point room will need to be made for guys like Shore and Stoll is the likely candidate to be moved or let go.

Captain Mittens*

@cmasisak22: 29 non-LAK teams' 1/2/3 D are either a) not as good b) more $$$ c) older/more likely to decline d) not signed for 4 years or e) all of above

Ron brings it everyday

Last edited by a moderator:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Awesome deal. I'm not worried about TT or Pearson at all at least not for 3 years. Look at bridge deals of Jaden Schwartz and Johansen. Both of those guys had very good seasons. I expect that if TT and Pearson do well, they won't get more than those guys on a short 2 or 3 year bridge. If they get 5 year deals or so, maybe 4m AAV like Muzzin. Either way, not worth fretting over cap implications for a few years yet.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Awesome deal. I'm not worried about TT or Pearson at all at least not for 3 years. Look at bridge deals of Jaden Schwartz and Johansen. Both of those guys had very good seasons. I expect that if TT and Pearson do well, they won't get more than those guys on a short 2 or 3 year bridge. If they get 5 year deals or so, maybe 4m AAV like Muzzin. Either way, not worth fretting over cap implications for a few years yet.

The cap implications would kill us on a 5 year 4M AAV for TT and Pearson. We need them on bridge deals of 2-3M.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I can't see Martinez staying here on the cheap as a bottom pairing dman when he can get more money and a bigger role on a lesser team. He's already got two rings. Someone will offer him mad money.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can't see Martinez staying here on the cheap as a bottom pairing dman when he can get more money and a bigger role on a lesser team. He's already got two rings. Someone will offer him mad money.

I hate this but I agree. I can't help but think Mcnabb and one of the AHLers (Bodnarchuk/Forbort/Gravel etc.) will be walking on to his role.

now to try lock down AMart. if Dean can get him for $3.5 - 4.5M on a 3 to 5-year deal it will be gold.

Toffoli and Pearson I would rather Dean wait for this season to play out, before he commits the contract to them. not saying they may bust, but let's see what they can do for full regular NHL season first. even then i won't be surprised if Dean signs them on 1 or 2-year bridge contracts.

i will be surprised to see Stoll and Regehr brought back, especially Regehr. with the development and the kids waiting, i think their spots are going to be awarded to new talent on ELC's. Dean will need cap room and at the same time he has to begin moving players up that have earned their shot. he has built the system and can now tap into the talent

i can see them taking JW back on a 2 or 3 year deal, but it's very possible he may NOT be re-signed either due to $$$ and younger talent in MAN.

I kind of agree on Regehr but there's just no one like him around (vet, big physical jerk) in our system, especially after losing Mitchell. Hard to see DL losing Scuderi, Mitchell, Regehr in consecutive years (and maybe Martinez) without replacing the vet presence ESPECIALLY the physically punishing vet presence. You could argue McNabb is taking that spot but who else is? I could see him getting another cheap year or two. It's for sure going to be an interesting offseason and I'm glad to not be the guy to make these decisions!

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I hate this but I agree. I can't help but think Mcnabb and one of the AHLers (Bodnarchuk/Forbort/Gravel etc.) will be walking on to his role.

I kind of agree on Regehr but there's just no one like him around (vet, big physical jerk) in our system, especially after losing Mitchell. Hard to see DL losing Scuderi, Mitchell, Regehr in consecutive years (and maybe Martinez) without replacing the vet presence ESPECIALLY the physically punishing vet presence. You could argue McNabb is taking that spot but who else is? I could see him getting another cheap year or two. It's for sure going to be an interesting offseason and I'm glad to not be the guy to make these decisions!

Greene, Muzzin and McNabb

as someone mentioned i think Greene is here as the mentor for these guys.

last year we saw Muzz trying to play overly physical and get into trouble. he toned it down and has been more solid.

these first few games we are seeing McNabb repeating the same process as Muzzin.

once these guys adapt to the speed, timing and physical side of the NHL - then they begin to introduce the more physical side of being an NHL Dman.

look at Nurse last night, he was guilty of this also.

young players consistently struggle with the physical side of the game at the NHL level. it takes time for most guys to slowly know when/where they can and should go for the big physical play.

LA is venturing into a new area of player development and leadership. the "core" as we know it over the past 3, 4, 5+ years is beginning to get passed slowly. those kids are now mid to late 20's and will now have to take on the teacher-mentor role. the "newer" core of Toffoli, Pearson, Jones is here now, playing tomorrow. we are seeing the slow and inevitable transformation of the team happening as we speak.

look at DD now and it was talked about how he has eased into this type of role on the team, he's no longer the 'young gifted Dman'. the guy is a seasoned vet and is looked upon to mentor the youngsters.

it's time for the torch to begin getting passed on the blue line. we've seen Willie come and go. i think he was instrumental on Drew and the entire D unit. now RR and Greene will do the same

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Don't see Lombardi paying 3.5-4 for what would be a bottom pairing defenseman. He will get money and term elsewhere more than likely

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Let Stoll and Regehr walk. Clifford is expendable if necessary. Try to re-sign Williams and Martinez. Pearson and Toffoli are RFAs so they won't be too expensive although Dean could probably get a discount on some of the UFA years if he offers them long term deals.

Also, there's the obvious buyout of Richards if he doesn't improve. He's not worth losing Williams, Pearson or Toffoli if it came to that.

If we continue to see the kind of play from Toffoli and Pearson for the rest of the season that we have seen early on this season, I think Dean has to try and buy some of their UFA years even if it means losing two of Stoll, Williams, and/or Richards.

These kids seem to keep getting better the more they play, which in some ways is what you would expect, but just not to this degree.

The Muzzin signing looks great. Just under Voynov's AAV, and Jake Muzzin is looking like a very good partner for Doughty as they complement each other well.

I hadn't read all the way through the thread when I responded to Bonney's post, but I obviously I agree with you Herby. How does that keep happening lately? You finally came around to understanding that Lombardi really is pretty damn good at his job.

BTW, you enjoying the college football season? Sorry, had to needle you a little bit. :)

Last edited:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Greene, Muzzin and McNabb

as someone mentioned i think Greene is here as the mentor for these guys.

last year we saw Muzz trying to play overly physical and get into trouble. he toned it down and has been more solid.

these first few games we are seeing McNabb repeating the same process as Muzzin.

once these guys adapt to the speed, timing and physical side of the NHL - then they begin to introduce the more physical side of being an NHL Dman.

look at Nurse last night, he was guilty of this also.

young players consistently struggle with the physical side of the game at the NHL level. it takes time for most guys to slowly know when/where they can and should go for the big physical play.

LA is venturing into a new area of player development and leadership. the "core" as we know it over the past 3, 4, 5+ years is beginning to get passed slowly. those kids are now mid to late 20's and will now have to take on the teacher-mentor role. the "newer" core of Toffoli, Pearson, Jones is here now, playing tomorrow. we are seeing the slow and inevitable transformation of the team happening as we speak.

look at DD now and it was talked about how he has eased into this type of role on the team, he's no longer the 'young gifted Dman'. the guy is a seasoned vet and is looked upon to mentor the youngsters.

it's time for the torch to begin getting passed on the blue line. we've seen Willie come and go. i think he was instrumental on Drew and the entire D unit. now RR and Greene will do the same

You two are making some good points... we are going to be seeing a small changing of the guard. The question is not so much what's going to happen down the road.... but next year.

The Kings are looking to make a run in the playoffs. This will affect their decision making.... if the Kings weren't looking at making a deep playoff run I could easily Muzzin/McNabb/(AHL Call up)/Schultz down the left side next year... Factor in going for the cup and Muzzin/Regehr(or other vet)/Mcnabb has a lot more depth for next years playoffs....

Kind of a transition while remaining competitive in the playoffs...

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
If we continue to see the kind of play from Toffoli and Pearson for the rest of the season that we have seen early on this season, I think Dean has to try and buy some of their UFA years even if it means losing two of Stoll, Williams, and/or Richards.

These kids seem to keep getting better the more they play, which in some ways is what you would expect, but just not to this degree.

The Muzzin signing looks great. Just under Voynov's AAV, and Jake Muzzin is looking like a very good partner for Doughty as they complement each other well.

Not to be negative... but Pearson/Toffoli are going to start getting a whole lot more attention from other teams coaches as far as line matching goes.... I love what they are doing, but expect a dip as other teams start playing better players against them.... The way to attack this is for the other two lines of the top 9 to step up the scoring when the 70's start pulling harder competition...

Mitchnesses

Hunk of Monkey Love
Jun 7, 2004
Orange County, CA

I do se McNabb's potential to fill Regehr's spot. Will have to wait and see.

Hoping DL finds a way to keep AMart.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Not to be negative... but Pearson/Toffoli are going to start getting a whole lot more attention from other teams coaches as far as line matching goes.... I love what they are doing, but expect a dip as other teams start playing better players against them.... The way to attack this is for the other two lines of the top 9 to step up the scoring when the 70's start pulling harder competition...

Well, that's why I said if their level of play continues on through the season.

Not that I expect Toffoli and Pearson to stay this red-hot for the entire season, but if their compete-level remains that same and they continue to get quality chances while remaining good +/- and responsible players in their own end, then they are going to have to be paid top six money.

IMO, if that happens Dean's cap money would be better spent buying some of their UFA years than it would be spending it on Richard, Stoll, and/or Williams.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That is the problem right now HHR is projected at +3.5% which if that includes the other half of the TV deal we aren't in good cap shape. But it's still early and not sure what exactly they are basing it off of since the season just started.
But starting next year is when the real hard choices are going to have to be made. I don't see anyway that we don't lose some, of what have been vital, pieces of our cup victories.

What scares me is if oil prices keep going down so to will the Canadian Dollar and therefore the cap will not go up as much as anticipated.
Worse case scenario Williams and Stoll both walk. I think Stoll can be replaced, and loosing Williams will hurt but even though he won the conn smythe he is not irreplaceable.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I agree but this will then open up Kopi's line. Only teams with elite d's will be able to match up two lines.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
If the cap raise were Plan A, then what would be Plan B? The last thing I want the team to experience is lineup holes courtesy of the salary cap.

Going back to the signing, I'm actually glad Jake's got a new contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00