Injury Report: Muzzin placed on LTIR -- Update Feb 22 2023: Out for the season + playoffs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Chychrun was really really really bad last year. At one point in last seasons first 1/4 he was trending historically bad.
Don't know how many times I read about Lindholm being "really really bad" last year until he looked amazing and back to his old self with Boston.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Don't know how many times I read about Lindholm being "really really bad" last year until he looked amazing and back to his old self with Boston.
Don't think people hought he looked bad.
Boston paid a kings ransom in the trade John Moore, Urho Vaakanainen, round 1 pick in the 2022 draft (Nathan Gaucher), round 2 pick in the 2023 draft and round 2 pick in the 2024 draft

And salary 8 x $6.5 for a 28 year old.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wanted us to draft Guhle or trade back and grab Schnieder.

I liked Askarov, Schneider and Amirov as well. But Schneider would have fit like a glove.

The other guy I liked was K’Andre Miller in 2018, also with the Rangers. Would have liked to have grabbed such an athletic defenseman with upside but we traded back and got Sandin.

Reactions: horner

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Schneider would not come remotely close to replacing Muzzin. He'd struggle to even make the team.

Our entire youth movement in Robertson, Sandin and Liljegren are in a similar career stage as Schneider. He would have been completely fine as a first round promotion.

Reactions: supermann_98

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Our entire youth movement in Robertson, Sandin and Liljegren are in a similar career stage as Schneider. He would have been completely fine as a first round promotion.
Schneider has a ways to go to catch up to where Liljegren and Sandin are at, and neither Liljegren or Sandin replace Muzzin either. Schneider likely wouldn't crack our defense. He's struggling in New York as a #6. Of course many don't seem to care about that because shiny hit...
The other guy I liked was K’Andre Miller in 2018, also with the Rangers. Would have liked to have grabbed such an athletic defenseman with upside but we traded back and got Sandin.
Miller was gone before our original pick anyway, for the record.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I liked Askarov, Schneider and Amirov as well. But Schneider would have fit like a glove.

The other guy I liked was K’Andre Miller in 2018, also with the Rangers. Would have liked to have grabbed such an athletic defenseman with upside but we traded back and got S

I liked Miller too. I was quickly relieved with the Sandin pick though after seeing what he was doing with the Marlies and then the WJC. I'm not so sure that he will ever reach his potential now but he is only 22 and there's still lots of time for him to blossom. I wish we had given him.the same development that Lilly got though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I liked Miller too. I was quickly relieved with the Sandin pick though after seeing what he was doing with the Marlies and then the WJC. I'm not so sure that he will ever reach his potential now but he is only 22 and there's still lots of time for him to blossom. I wish we had given him.the same development that Lilly got though.

Full disclosure, I'm not high on Sandin's particular skillset.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Schneider has a ways to go to catch up to where Liljegren and Sandin are at, and neither Liljegren or Sandin replace Muzzin either. Schneider likely wouldn't crack our defense. He's struggling in New York as a #6. Of course many don't seem to care about that because shiny hit...

Rangers traded up for the pick while we traded down.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Amirov was never consensus best player left in that spot. There were a number of viable skilled and defensive options in the 12-20 range and all would have been acceptable, including Amirov himself. We always have a gaping hole in the organization at the big workhorse defenseman role simply because it's usually not a priority.

I think it's fair to say Schneider was worthy of discussing as an options for the Leafs pick at that draft.

BUT also worth noting that 1) majority of the public rankings had Amirov ranked ahead. And there still like 3-4 teams that picked after the Leafs who passed on him too. And he hasn't necessarily proven much as an asset yet to date other than playing bottom pairing

Reactions: Dekes For Days

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I don't think his skating will let ever him reach being a high end D man. When I watched him all the time with the Marlies, he had a really good knack at getting Hard and accurate shots through traffic to the net and moved the puck really well. I dont think we've seen enough of that at the NHL level. All I want to see from him is to become a a 2nd pairing D man who moves the puck effectively, makes good defensive reads, puts up 35-40 pts as secondary pp option and play with the bite he does.

Like I said, I wish we had cooked him a little more like Lilly with the Marlies and he's still only 22. By the time he reaches 24 he might become that guy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think it's fair to say Schneider was worthy of discussing as an options for the Leafs pick at that draft.

BUT also worth noting that 1) majority of the public rankings had Amirov ranked ahead. And there still like 3-4 teams that picked after the Leafs who passed on him too. And he hasn't necessarily proven much as an asset yet to date other than playing bottom pairing

I don’t recall Amirov being a consensus better pick than Schneider at all, and you’d have to take any 2020 rankings with a grain of salt because most leagues faced some kind of disruption so scouting was simply not reliable.

Like I said, I liked Askarov, Schneider, Amirov and a few others but had no idea who would be their pick.

The issue remains that this organization simply doesn’t draft players who remote resemble or could project to be a Muzzin type player. When push comes to shove the Leafs feel like they’re leaving skill on the table, and seem to view small dominant players like, if we draft him and he grows, it’s a home run. It’s a bias.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I don't think his skating will let ever him reach being a high end D man. When I watched him all the time with the Marlies, he had a really good knack at getting Hard and accurate shots through traffic to the net and moved the puck really well. I dont think we've seen enough of that at the NHL level. All I want to see from him is to become a a 2nd pairing D man who moves the puck effectively, makes good defensive reads, puts up 35-40 pts as secondary pp option and play with the bite he does.

Like I said, I wish we had cooked him a little more like Lilly with the Marlies and he's still only 22. By the time he reaches 24 he might become that guy.
And then he gives the puck away lol

horner

May 22, 2007

The Rangers have a better d than we do ,!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The Rangers have a better d than we do ,!
When healthy, the Leafs have a better defense than New York.
With the Leafs facing significant injuries to their defense, New York is slightly ahead this year for the first time in years, but as a result of the top-end of their defense, not the likes of Schneider, who is struggling as their #6.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
FYI:

1668607384910.png

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Everyone can see he needs to get stronger. Man strength.
But I see him as this same physically under developed, physically weak player.
Probably the weakest on the team.

Is he willing to put in the work in the gym...not so sure.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Everyone can see he needs to get stronger. Man strength.
But I see him as this same physically under developed, physically weak player.
Probably the weakest on the team.

Is he willing to put in the work in the gym...not so sure.
Just a heads up Sandin even though he is very small in stature is very very strong .. bar ups with his body weight, grip strength and situps he is right at top of team .. his core strength, with Hyman, was top of team and this was a couple years ago .. he likely has got even stronger .. he is a gym rat like Hyman .. his issues have nothing to do with strength it is SIZE and SPEED .. his arms are short so hard for him to stick check with big dogs on D and his stride length is likely worst in pro hockey .. it is highly unlikely he can fix either of these issues .. in puck races he can't compete .. in battles in corner he can .. it is why I think he needs to be moved as 3rd pair guys with PP potential have limited futures

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Did anyone notice Rielly had two giveaways last night, one was a flub clearing attempt which resulted in a scoring chance that caused a penalty.

Just to keep the score close ... but I think Rielly will clean that up over time.
I just thought it was funny that right after i made a post about Sandin becoming a top 4 guy who moves the puck well, he tosses a pizza up the middle to one of the best players on the planet lol. Whiffs happen

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Maple Leafs' Muzzin not progressing towards return​

It appears the Toronto Maple Leafs are unlikely to see defenceman Jake Muzzin back in the team's lineup this season.

TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston reports that Muzzin, who has been sidelined with a cervical spine injury since October, does not appear to be making any progress towards a return.

"Well, at this point, it doesn't sound like there's really been any developments," Johnston said on Insider Trading Thursday. "Jake Muzzin has remained ever present around the Leafs; going on the road with them, being behind the scenes with [the] team. But in terms of moving towards returning to play, there's nothing happening there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad