Injury Report: Muzzin placed on LTIR -- Update Feb 22 2023: Out for the season + playoffs

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In Horton's case he needed a disc fusion surgery to regain any sort of mobility, but if he got the surgery he would no longer be eligible to play. If there's a 1% chance a Pronger, Clarkson, or Hossa can play again, they can sit on LTIR. If you have a surgery that guarantees you can no longer play in the NHL safely I think that complicates things, at least based on how the articles around Horton's situation were worded. They kept talking about the surgery ending his playing career and that he doesn't want to do it because of "what that would mean". After 1 or 2 full years of it being clear he can't play with his back as-is, why woudn't he get the surgery so he could not be in terrible pain every day if he gets to stay on LTIR anyway? There's no downside other than giving up on your 0.0001% chance of it magically fixing itself.

I don't think they would have made him forfeit all the money owed via forced retirement, they could just deem him ineligible for LTIR and force the team to carry his contract at full pop or buy him out as if he had retired. There were also cap recapture implications if he were to retire early IIRC. No one had a gun to his head about not getting the surgery but there were clearly factors for delaying it outside of strictly medical concerns and he suffered for years because of it.

If it was really the thought that any of these players could actually play again, then the league wouldn’t let a recovering player work for a team like pronger.

Tons of players go on LTIR. If all have at least a 1% chance of playing again then can anyone work for the DOPS?

More than likely “what that would mean” would be a 100% closing the door on his career and setting him up for future surgeries. Rather than If he got it they would cancel his contract. I don’t think your interpretation was accurate.

Remember eichel sat out to avoid the fusion. I’m no expert but I listened to the doctors on 32 thoughts who advocated against that surgery and it was a major issue to have as a young person for life. Maybe Horton thought the pain wasn’t bad enough to stop him from turning his head

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If it was really the thought that any of these players could actually play again, then the league wouldn’t let a recovering player work for a team like pronger.

Tons of players go on LTIR. If all have at least a 1% chance of playing again then can anyone work for the DOPS?

More than likely “what that would mean” would be a 100% closing the door on his career and setting him up for future surgeries. Rather than If he got it they would cancel his contract. I don’t think your interpretation was accurate.

Remember eichel sat out to avoid the fusion. I’m no expert but I listened to the doctors on 32 thoughts who advocated against that surgery and it was a major issue to have as a young person for life. Maybe Horton thought the pain wasn’t bad enough to stop him from turning his head

Eichel sat out because he wanted the surgery and the team didn’t, they argued he could fix it with rehab. Horton couldn’t tie his shoes and could barely walk, no amount of rehab was going to make him able to skate let alone take a hit.

I’m not saying they’d cancel his contract if he got the surgery but they might not let the team put him on LTIR if he’s ineligible to play. I doubt the league would want to do this from a PR perspective but it’s hard to imagine the insurance company’s legal team doesn’t have the topic covered in legalese.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
We need his cap space for a forward, so it's not all bad. Maybe there is a small chance he comes back for the playoffs, ala TB style.

Reactions: torontoblood

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
There's more to it in life than hockey. He has been a good soldier and nothing to prove
It's time to hang them up bud

I doubt he'll fully retire but he shouldn't play again
Few stanly cups under his belt. A solid career

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wonder when MUZZ speaks about his future with the media?

For what it is worth on my morning dog walk my neighbour who stables horses with Mrs Muzzin said that she said Jake will not be returning recently.
Pretty meh source so take it for what it is.

BUT this same neighbour was a full time flight attendant on the teams Air Canada charters last year and I got some good inside chatter.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I wonder if this was holding up any other future trade talks too. The off chance hope that Muzzin could come back. He’d be kind of perfect for what we’re lacking. Now that there will be some final clarity I wonder if Dubas will be more aggressive in searching for another d. On an outside hockey note, I hope Muzz is okay going forward and that his injury isn’t life affecting.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Really is too bad if he's done. Hope he's doing well.

Sounds like he was with the team on this road trip and celebrating a birthday yesterday. Marner was poking fun post game yesterday that Muzzin was with the boys and not his wife for his birthday :laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not surprising .. he got his Cups .. he got his $$$ from hockey .. he got to move back home to Woodstock .. too bad for our Leafs as he is exactly what this team still needs to win a Cup .. but health comes 1st and foremost as you only get 1 life
I'm still holding out hope that we find a replacement. Muzzin is one of our most important pieces come playoff time. These folks thinking it's gonna be similar against Tampa running Rielly, Gio and Sandin on the left side instead of running Rielly-Muzzin-Gio are gonna be in for a rude awakening.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
When he was signed to his 4-year extension, I thought he would provide a good first year, start to show decline in the second, and fall off a cliff rapidly in the second half of it. It's pretty much gone as expected. But definitely did not think it would be to the point where it was career threatening/ending.

At this point, he's gotten his money, won his Cups, and put a lot of hard fought mileage on his body. Likely best to call it a career as he has a very long life still ahead of him. I'm sure he can easily find something within hockey, and Dubas is the type who would take care of him and find something for him within the organization to stay with the team and game if it comes to that.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Sadly he’s exactly what we need on our back-end. Wish him nothing but the best.

Also, everyone keeps saying he’s won his “cups”. Only one win, hope he gets his name on it this year too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad