Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
Well thank god he's 'ok'.

my first thought was:

Rielly - Holl
Dermott - Barrie
Marincin - Ceci

because of how well Dermott and Barrie play together and Rielly and Holl have been good together in the past but then I realized that would mean one of Marincin or Ceci would have to make plays with the puck :eek:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
the wording of the release makes it look like he's going to miss time because of the injury, not because of quarantine. Looks like he's back with the team already.

Reactions: qqaz

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Is there a reason why it's not Sandin instead of Marincin?

Dangle (don’t like his political views) but like his content.

mentioned Dermott took 9 minutes in the third period a TB. If Dermott gets the pk duties the Sandinista could come in! that saidMM played well last year

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
This doesn't make any sense. He should be eligible for game 5.

You're supposed to test negative 4 consecutive days right? August 5, 6, 7, 8 and then August 9th is when Game 5 is scheduled if necessary. Math doesn't add up here.

EDIT: Nvm tweet said it's because of the injury. I initially thought it said the injury would result in him missing the series due to quarantine rules.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

The PK is the reason but Dermott can play on the PK himself so I don’t know why we can’t just shift him onto it and let Sandin play at even strength. Marincin is a disaster and his boneheaded plays have cost us in the post season before. Keep him far away from the ice.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Well that's good news. He's obviously passed whatever MRI tests were done on his spine/neck. Back in the Hotel at least. It says he's out for the series, but obviously they are going to re-evaluate where he's at if we move on. keep well Jake.

Reactions: Ciao

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dermott-Holl was a great pairing for us when Muzzin/Rielly were down with injury. It's probably what Keefe will go with.

Reactions: Ciao and Alerion

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Marincin has size, but he is not overly physical, and he is prone to turnovers in high pressure situations. Columbus is a strong forechecking team that will exploit his weaknesses.

Sandin lacks experience, but he is more poised than Marincin, and he is much better at moving the puck out of the defensive zone and joining the rush.

I would go with Sandin.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Leafs just need to grind out this series and hopefully Johnsson and Muzzin will be ready for round 1.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This doesn't make any sense. He should be eligible for game 5.

You're supposed to test negative 4 consecutive days right? August 5, 6, 7, 8 and then August 9th is when Game 5 is scheduled if necessary. Math doesn't add up here.
It may be they want to take all da PR pressure off team and Muzzy. If he recovers fully who knows he may show up on ice in game 5 if needed. Hard to know exactly as we don't know if it was a pinched nerve or what. My guess is he pinched something and he was not sure what was wrong on da ice. If it was something in spine then he would be still in hospital and be gone for rest of playoffs. Likely a pinched nerve so he was released quickly.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

The last game of the season only Muzzin was out and the Leafs' went with Sandin instead of Marincin against Tampa. Leafs won 2-1. So I don't buy the "they need Marincin for the PK" argument.

The biggest problem is that Sandin - Barrie are a terrible pair. Sandin is not great defensively at this time. Barrie doesn't know that he is a defenseman. And neither can break a cycle which is concerning when you are playing against a great cycling team.

The only way that the Leafs' could bring in Sandin against Columbus is if the pairs were Rielly - Barrie, Dermott - Holl, Sandin - Ceci.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad