TSN: Mutiny among players about Therrien -Now with a poll!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So you are saying that this quote from patches in November:
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/l...nante-1.687211
is the most significant event of this season...

Remember when Pacman blasted Martin a few times I DO .Play me or trade me.
We want to play a style like the Bruins...He was right too.....
They hated Martins system,Therrien is playing EXACT SAME system...
Players got a right to be upset! As do we fans.

This sounds so like Michel Therrien in 2014....huh? Tell me I'm wrong.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43626-Martin-firing-opens-door-to-more-change-in-Montreal.html
Without question, the biggest criticism of Martin was his insistence on driving a square peg into a round hole in Montreal. And it’s something these defensive geniuses do all the time. You could give guys such as Martin and Dave King the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens and they’d somehow turn them into a bunch of defense-minded automatons.

The Canadiens are a small, skilled and speedy bunch of players whose ability to create offense needs to be encouraged, not squelched, if you want to get the most out of them. Instead, Martin insisted on playing a system that was hardly a meritocracy – just ask some of the players – and was based on a defensive system that made it impossible to capitalize on their strengths.

All of which is all right when it’s working. Fans of teams don’t mind watching turgid hockey if it means their team is winning all those 2-1 and 1-0 games. But the Canadiens haven’t exactly been a roaring success on that front. With the exception of the 2010 playoffs, when they made the playoffs by one point and rode Jaroslav Halak’s goaltending to the Eastern Conference final, this is a team that has largely underachieved under Martin.

The whole idea of playing the game the way Martin insisted it be played is to get an early lead, then either bore the hell out of your opponent or at least shut them down and frustrate them to the point where the lead stands up. And that simply wasn’t happening for the Canadiens this season.

There’s every indication Martin’s message was being lost on the Canadiens, particularly considering Josh Gorges’ comments after the morning skate on Saturday, just hours after the coaching change was announced.

“If you only have half the guys or three-quarters of the guys doing what’s asked of them, then everyone is in disarray,” Gorges said. “And that’s where we got to…so consequently we lost games we shouldn’t have lost and changes needed to be made.”

The fact the players would be in disarray is an indictment of the coaching staff. Again, Martin’s system is supposed result in the exact opposite of disarray. Defensive systems are, by their very nature, based on control and slowing down the game. And Gorges is right. If there was disarray, it’s because some of the players became frustrated with playing that style.

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Remember when Pacman blasted Martin a few times I DO .
Play me or trade me.We want to play a stlye like the Bruins...

This sounds so like Therrien in 2014....huh

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43626-Martin-firing-opens-door-to-more-change-in-Montreal.html

In all fairness this is not all Therrien - this is also Bergevin modus operandi....he also believes this is the way to play. Bergevin has been on record many times he believes in playing the "right way" code for dump and chase

I'm not a Therrien fan but lets be fair in assessment. [/QUOTE]

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
For me, I'm not up for a coaching change. But if it has to happen the best guy should be Guy Boucher. He coached Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais, etc. and he was responsible for rejuvenation of Pacioretty. With his degrees in psychology and his approach to the game, he would be the best candidate. I just hope that he doesn't bring with him Martin Raymond, but I think he could be the best candidate out of there. My obvious choice would be Mike Babcock but he's not available.
I am not against Boucher nor any other coach in the league.

But changing a coach will not solve our problems.
If anyone can find a correlation between Therrien and the performance of Brière, Bouillon, Bourque, Diaz, Eller, Emelin, etc...
Feel free to raise it.

Among all those players, the one that has been underperforming to me is Eller. I was expecting much more from him.
  • Anyone expected Eller to have only 20 points after 50 games?
  • Bourque with 8 points in 38 games (that is below what we would be expecting from Gorges).
  • Emelin with 6 points?

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
For all the complaining I read about MT, I really wonder who people expect to barge in and straighten this team.

Boucher? Crawford? Please.

Laviolette wouldn't be a good fit either. That level of physicality isn't part of the makeup of the Habs' roster. And from what I hear, people tire quickly of his yelling.

So the remaining question is who?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
In all fairness this is not all Therrien - this is also Bergevin modus operandi....he also believes this is the way to play. Bergevin has been on record many times he believes in playing the "right way" code for dump and chase

I'm not a Therrien fan but lets be fair in assessment.

ya ,i forgot Bergevin was Pittsburgh GM with Therrien.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=267328
Bylsma would not criticize the outgoing Therrien, however he stated that he wanted to make the Penguins an up-tempo team and utilize all aspects of their skills.

"With the strengths we have, we should be able to go into buildings and make teams deal with the quality of players we have at every position," Bylsma told THE CANADIAN PRESS

"We need to be an aggressive group, and get focused on playing back to our strengths,

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not saying that Bergevin is forcing Therrien to play this way - i agree this is Therrien's profile.

What I am saying is that MB sees eye to eye with Therrien on this one and he selected Therrien based on their similarities in seeing the game.

All I say is we dont need another Jacques Martin ... been tried and FAILED....this same system put us in LAST place with the same players..

TIME FOR SOMEONE TO WAKE UP and either change his system or someone change the coach ....at this point , too late he lost the room.

This same style hockey drove 3000-4000 out of Bell Centre...empty seats..fact

We are now not far away from a REPEAT!!! book that.

Last edited:

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
I'm not saying that Bergevin is forcing Therrien to play this way - i agree this is Therrien's profile.

What I am saying is that MB sees eye to eye with Therrien on this one and he selected Therrien based on their similarities in seeing the game.

I agree and think this is not a good thing. At all.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I guess most of you have the solution...
But all Habs management have it wrong...
I feel so much better now that I know that the solution was so simple.

Just fire Therrien, trade Markov for a second round, Diaz for a fourth round and Bourque for a second round and we are OK.

So this team can play without Markov, Diaz and Bourque and we will be OK when those picks will be NHL players in 5 years from now...

It is not like we had to wait so many years for Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu to be ready. They are ready to replace our core right now...

Just looking at Bourque: Who do we have in anyone in our pool to replace him in the next three years (not now, not next year... in three years).
I feel so much better knowing that we might trade him for a second round pick that may replace him in four years...
I mean, we have Crisp, Fournier, McCarron, De La Rose and others...
Anyone of those will score more than 20 goals in NHL?

It is so simple. Why does the Habs management does think about this?

Last edited:

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Still waiting for somebody to stop complaining and propose an actual well thought of solution.

Who should they replace Therrien with and why?

So far, I'm just seeing more and more complaining. It's easy to complain. Harder to find solutions.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Just a matter of time...

At this point, more interesting question is how long it will take MB to make a move.

All gm's make mistakes, but is MB the type to admit it & move fwd, or is he more inclined to try to save face as long as possible?

If MT is the coach next September, without a cup ring on his finger, then we'll need a new GM as much or more than we need a new coach.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
Still waiting for somebody to stop complaining and propose an actual well thought of solution.

Who should they replace Therrien with and why?

So far, I'm just seeing more and more complaining. It's easy to complain. Harder to find solutions.

Guy Boucher... I really shouldn't have to explain myself any further.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree and think this is not a good thing. At all.

I don't like it either but this team but I'm not sure altering the system would change anything. The problem with this team is size and you can't hide lack of size in any system.

Playing devil's advocate, there is a long term value to getting the team to play this way - this is how you win in the end. I think Bergevin sees the team 2 or 3 years down the line and they will be bigger. The lessons the young core will learn will be beneficial in the long run, when the size issue will be addressed. Do you think the Oilers are progressing the right way with their young core playing an offensive system?

I don't agree with all the moves Bergevin has made but I have bought in to his long term organizational standards - we still have one more year of growing pains.

Peasoup

May 7, 2013
I get a french market for the news media needs a french coach..we live in a media craze world today......What i don't get tho,is you can pay a player 7-9 million,but you cant pay a english to french translator $50,000-60,000 a year to be at the coach's side ,to translate for the english coach(as he learns the language)????

This way the playing field is level for Habs.....

They don't actually need a translator. Anyone that works in the media biz in Montréal is fully bilingual.

The thing is, I feel it is alright and legitimate for them to support the nomination of "one of their own" as I believe there is bias towards English coaches considering it is the language the league operates in. I am personally really glad Montréal is an entryway for French coaches to the NHL because not too many would make it otherwise and not necessarily because they aren't "skilled enough".

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Just a matter of time...

At this point, more interesting question is how long it will take MB to make a move.

All gm's make mistakes, but is MB the type to admit it & move fwd, or is he more inclined to try to save face as long as possible?

If MT is the coach next September, without a cup ring on his finger, then we'll need a new GM as much or more than we need a new coach.

If he still is coach after Olympic break ,season over....no playoffs.
Goin to rapidly descend...

Remember when Habs was only two points out of playoffs...end up last...lol . Goona take a big time drop out....no top 3 pick tho...

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
For me, I'm not up for a coaching change. But if it has to happen the best guy should be Guy Boucher. He coached Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais, etc. and he was responsible for rejuvenation of Pacioretty. With his degrees in psychology and his approach to the game, he would be the best candidate. I just hope that he doesn't bring with him Martin Raymond, but I think he could be the best candidate out of there. My obvious choice would be Mike Babcock but he's not available.

Another fan who can't figure out Boucher hasn't proven anything, and shouldn't be next in line for a job in Montreal. I detest MT, but Subban won the norris under numbnuts, and Pacioretty is going to team USA, and will have his career highest goal total this season. How exactly has Guy Boucher, the bringer of boring hockey, responsible for anything either of these two done? You may as well give the same accolades to their junior coaches, and ex-girlfriends for their success this year and last.

Guess why Boucher doesn't have a job? He couldn't get it done in Tampa, his attitude stinks and the players grew tired of him. He's a younger version of MT.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They don't actually need a translator. Anyone that works in the media biz in Montréal is fully bilingual.

The thing is, I feel it is alright and legitimate for them to support the nomination of "one of their own" as I believe there is bias towards English coaches considering it is the language the league operates in. I am personally really glad Montréal is an entryway for French coaches to the NHL because not too many would make it otherwise and not necessarily because they aren't "skilled enough".

what about the french only who watch the game or Rds or Tva etc or read ......this is the bigger issue.
Translators work...i dont know why not in Montreal.

Saintpatrick*

Counting the days till this tool is fired. Should have never been hired in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad